Installing content in Poser 7

DarQueBirdDarQueBird Posts: 14
edited November 2014 in New Users

Hello,
I am having a lot of trouble installing my Daz content into my Poser 7. Years ago, I just clicked on the download and it basically installed itself. Now I am trying to use the install manager and its just not working. I have changed my install pat the C:program files x86/efrontier/poser 7 and sometimes it will say it installed but when I go look for my content its just not there. I tried unzipping it myself and directing it there but that isn't working either. I just cant figure out what I am doing wrong. I looked thru all the instruction links about the install manager but the info doesn't seem to be helping.. If someone could help me figure out what I am doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much for any and all help/replies. I am sorry if this questions as been asked before. I tried searching on it but could not find an answer to my problem...

Thank you for looking..

Post edited by DarQueBird on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,103
    edited November 2014

Hello.

What operating system do you use ? If you're using a recent version of Windows (at least Vista) then installing your content in Program Files is definitely not a good idea and there's a good chance the files got moved in the "Virtual Store" by the system.

Post edited by Leana on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,577
    edited December 1969

Don't install to the application folder, especially if you are using Windows Vista or later. Choose a folder outside the application folders, such as one in your Documents or shaded documents (which would have been the default offering when you installed Poser), add that as a Poser library if need be (click the folder with a +, or the button at the bottom of the library panel when no library is open - I can't recall which Poser 7 used), then in DIM click the gear icon to get to preferences, go to the Installation tab, click the + button at bottom left and select the content folder you just created (the same one you picked in Poser). Highlight the other folder(s) and click the - button to remove them.

• DarQueBirdDarQueBird Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

Yes, I am using Windows Vista.
    Thank you for your replies I will give it a try.

Heidi

edited December 1969

Hi again, I am hoping I can have you walk me through this. I added a folder in my documents then and added it in the Poser library. Then I went into Daz install manager and clicked on the gear and then installation. Then I started adding the path but when I went to that folder in my documents it had a libraries folder in there and other folders inside that one. Do I delete the library folder before adding the path in DIM?
    Ugh, I am so sorry if I am not making any sense.. I really appreciate you help.

edited December 1969

Poser added the Runtime and the Libraries folder inside it - you want the folder you created, that now holds the Runtime folder, as the destination for the Install Manager.

edited December 1969

OK, thank you again for the response. One more quick question for you. When I look in that folder, there isn't a runtime folder. Just Libraries. Does the Runtime folder appear after I install my first content? When I direct the path in DIM do I direct it to: C:Documents/Poserfolder/libraries ?
    Thank you very much for your help.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,489
    edited November 2014

You point it to the folder that holds the runtime.. The runtime folder will appear when you first install something or you can put one in yourself. It don't matter which

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

What did you call the folder you created? Poser expects a Runtime folder.

edited December 1969

OK, thanks again for the replies. I think that might be my problem. I named it wrong. I named my folder Poser Content. And i have gotten some of my content to install but I have to manually add it in there. When I unzip the file it is showing up in a file named "content" and I have to go into that file and copy the runtime and the libraries folders and merge them back into the original folder I created.
    Do you think if I rename the folder from Poser Content to Runtime my installation woes will be over? LOL

Thank you all again for your continued help. I really appreciate it!

edited December 1969

No, I meant Poser expects a Runtime folder inside the folder you create - that's why I was puzzled by your having a Libraries folder immediately inside it. A few tools can get confused if you use Runtime earlier in the chain of folders - Poser Content should be a good name though.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2014

IF it helps, this is how I have my Poser content set up, with one folder (highlighted) expanded so you can see there is a runtime within the folder.

Poser_runtime_2.jpg
    238 x 295 - 62K
    Poser_runtime.jpg
    238 x 295 - 68K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

HI again,
    Thank you for the help. I got some of the content to install the way its supposed to but I am still having trouble with my daz content. for some reason after I unzip it it goes into a folder labeled content. I have to go into that content folder and copy the runtime and the libraries folder then merge it into the original runtime then it installs perfectly. I am wondering what this content folder is? My poser stuff from other sites doesn't create that folder..

Here is what my folders look like: Computer/documents/posercontent/runtime but after I unzip my Daz content and look in the poser content folder I created I see this: Computer/documents/posercontent/content and in that folder contains the runtime...

So sorry for all the confusion.. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Thank you again for the help.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I have to admit I have got into the habit of installing Manually, either unzipping to a temp folder and then moving the runtime folder over or, using WinRar i only unzip the runtime folder from within the zip archive and ignore the rest of the content folder, as I only use Poser.

edited December 1969

Awesome! Got it. Thank you for your replies and help. Got my content loading correctly.
    And I am loving making these runtimes outside of poser. I find I am much more organized with my content.

Thank you again all for your help!

edited December 1969

Hi again,
    I have one more question. I have a lot of my content installed and working well (whoo hooo!) but for some reason Victoria 4.2 will not install properly. I installed Victoria 3 and many other characters and they installed fine. I can see Victoria 4.2 in my downloads library but every time I click on her I get the "can't find the files error". I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong....
    I have downloaded and installed her many times trying to get her into the program :red: and I am wondering if maybe she is not loading because I have installed the file in different places? When I could not get her to load properly in and external runtime I tried installing her to the runtime inside poser and the downloads folder... Do you think a factory restore would help, maybe I need to wipe the slate clean and start fresh? If so, can you walk me through how to do this?
    I am really hoping you can help me. She is one of my favorite characters and I have lots of content for her that I really want to use.
    I have attached a screenshot of the problems I am having here.
    Thank you again for your help.
    Sorry to be such a pain...:red:

InsallVictoriaTrouble.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 139K
    edited December 1969

Installing to a location in the application folder won't work - in fact you really don't want any content in there, when you installed Poser it should have suggested a default location in your Documents or Public Documents folder and that is better under Windows Vista and later. If the missing files are .pz2 files, with V4 installed outside the application folder (and uninitialised from within) go to Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ in the folder you installed to and double-click the DzCreateExPFiles-v4.bat file.

edited November 2014

Thank you very much for the reply. I removed V4 and V3 from inside the program and then installed it in a folder in my documents. Then I clicked the batch files and now I am getting this error...

File not found:
    00-ps_pe073_Chnnls

Thank you for your help

Post edited by DarQueBird on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Did you install Aiko 4 to the same location as V4.2?

edited December 1969

Hey guys!
    Thank you so much for all your help. I finally got her installed. :-) I am not sure what I did but I got so frustrated I uninstalled Poser then re installed it and and she is loaded and working.

I don't know if it make any difference but the first time I installed poser I had installed it in Program file X86. I read something today about how poser 7 should only be installed in Program. So I tried that..

Thank you again for all your time and help.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Program Files (x86) is for 32 bit programs and Program Files is for 64 bit programs.