FIXED: DAZ Connect issue- "File Doesn't Exist" in DAZ Specific Formats and Smart Content

AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
edited April 2021 in New Users

Edit: It's a DAZ Connect issue, as detailed here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6664136/#Comment_6664136

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6674121/#Comment_6674121

So this is mildly annoying.

Trying to get Genesis 3 Female to load through the Smart Content Manager.  When I try to load the figure, it says the File Doesn't Exist.  I right clicked, had it show me the file in Explorer, and it brought me right to the the Genesis 3 Female.duf

I try to load other things through the Smart Content Manager, none of them seem to locate the file even though it can find it in Explorer.

So I decide to try and troubleshoot this more.  Go up to the normal Content Library pane.  Try to load a few figures including AM's Arctic Fox and Genesis.  None of them load, claim the file is not found even when I can, again, find the file in explorer by right clicking the item in question and requesting it.

So I go through the Content Directory Manager, delete all DAZ specific directories.  I verify the content folder is no longer showing in DAZ studio, close, re-open DAZ Studio.

Go in, re-add the directories through preferences, wait a minute while it scans.  It's showing all the items again after readding the directory, but it's still claiming the content is not found.

Kind of at wits end.  Not so sure what to do or how I could fix this any further.  Content in Poser specific directories works fine, including loading other DAZ figures like Big Cat 2, so to be honest, I have no idea what to do.

Anyone know where DAZ keeps its preferences files so I can maybe just nuke this from orbit and start anew?

Edit: Right after I posted this, I decided to give one last look for the DAZ preferences.  Backed up what I thought were them, deleted them, and reloaded DAZ and now my libraries work again.  I'm going to take a break.

Edit 2: Thought I fixed it.  I was wrong.

Post edited by AeonicB on

Comments

• How did you install? Exactly where is the .duf file, and whata re your content directories? Are you sure it's the .duf file it can't find, not one of the .dsf asset files in the Data folder?

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited April 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

How did you install? Exactly where is the .duf file, and whata re your content directories? Are you sure it's the .duf file it can't find, not one of the .dsf asset files in the Data folder?

It's an old install that's worked in the past.  I haven't used it in a few months.  When I do file cleanup, it's by hand, and I don't delete anything from my DAZ/Poser directories for this specific reason.

DAZ and Poser files are each in their own directories.  I put Poser compatible formats in the latest Poser <version no, either PP2010, 9 or 11> Downloads folder included with Poser, and DAZ's formats in the My DAZ 3D Library folder.

It's actually missing the .duf file, even when I see it in Explorer and can have the program right click and show me the specific place its stored.  Pictures attached.

poserdirectory.png
    1126 x 796 - 3M
    dazerror.png
    390 x 96 - 110K
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,233
    edited April 2021

Have you just try and load that duf without daz3d running. Double click the duf and daz should start.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • That uisn't the full path, it doesn't start with the drive letter, and you haven't shown what your content directories are set as (Edit>Prefrences>Content tab>Content Directory Manager).

Richard Haseltine said:

That uisn't the full path, it doesn't start with the drive letter, and you haven't shown what your content directories are set as (Edit>Prefrences>Content tab>Content Directory Manager).

Just me being paranoid.  The folder is nestled in the root of the directory, so the PoserNew\ directory is only preceded by the drive letter.

Here's a screenshot of the folders in the Content Directory Manager.  Blanked out the name of the defaults on C in parts because it's a real world name, and the root for the Poser directories because it's outside of C.  But considering it shouldn't be looking at the root letter from what I know of DAZ and how it seeks its files, I can't imagine it'd be much of an issue.

dazfolders.png
    462 x 457 - 620K
  • One issue, though I don't think it is likely to be the root of your current problem, is that you have nested content directories - both a folder and its parent selected as content directories. When saving something that is in the inner folder DS won't know which to use as the starting point for the relative path. I'm not immediately seeing any other issue.

AgitatedRiot said:

Have you just try and load that duf without daz3d running. Double click the duf and daz should start.

Sorry for taking so long.  I actually tried that and it loaded fine.

Richard Haseltine said:

One issue, though I don't think it is likely to be the root of your current problem, is that you have nested content directories - both a folder and its parent selected as content directories. When saving something that is in the inner folder DS won't know which to use as the starting point for the relative path. I'm not immediately seeing any other issue.

Fair.  I'll troubleshoot it tomorrow.  Got a bit of a postdrome from a migraine.  Nothing bad, just not up for tech tonight :)

• Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,033
    edited April 2021

I'm having the exact same problem. Everything was working fine until my last purchase. In addition to the purchase, several other packages were updated via DIM. Now, none of my resource files are being found. This is affecting THOUSANDS of files. Here is a more detailed explanation of the problem = https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/488276/my-paths-are-messed-up-help#latest

Post edited by Drogo Nazhur on
    edited April 2021

Drogo Nazhur said:

I'm having the exact same problem. Everything was working fine until my last purchase. In addition to the purchase, several other packages were updated via DIM. Now, none of my resource files are being found. This is affecting THOUSANDS of files. Here is a more detailed explanation of the problem = https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/488276/my-paths-are-messed-up-help#latest

Thanks for the tip.  It was actually a DAZ Connect problem.  This is kind of techy, but I basically ended up uninstalling DAZ, nuking my remaining preferences files as well as anything that look like it could be related (as a Scorched Earth approach), basically dzInstall.ini and CMS, Studio4, and DSON directories just to make sure I was rid of anything related to Connect.

I then ended up setting up a folder with Full Control Deny Permissions (in Windows) and pointed my Daz Connect folder to there, so it can never install a file again.

Genesis 3 Female just loaded!  All this so I can follow the DAZ Blender tutorial.

Also, sorry for the late troubleshooting.  Got my second dose of COVID vaccine over the weekend.  Wasn't feeling up to tech tech before now. :)