Desk & Bookshelf for Daz

ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 886
edited April 2021 in Freebies

My first attempt at a 3d model; since I have no clue how to use blender, I made this entirely inside Daz using primitives. Any suggestions on improving them would be welcome, although chances are I'm probably not going to have a clue how to implement them. laugh

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/freestuff/desk-and-bookshelf-for-daz/88234

Office.jpg
1079 x 881 - 216K
Post edited by ioonrxoon on

Comments

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,425

You made those using just primitives?!?  I am really impressed!  Well done!

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971

Very nice. How long did it take? I've always been tempted to make stuff out of primitives but assumed it would take ages.

• ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 886

Thanks; took me around 6-7 hours, but there was a lot of trial and error involved, so it can probably be done in half that time once you get the hang of things. mCasual's mcjHelpMeAssembleThisMachine is a must to align parts easily.

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971

Cheers for the info. I'll have a look into it. Always fancied trying to build a spaceship or other sci-fi stuff.

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 967
    edited April 2021

My advice, if you are going to continue modeling, is to download Hexagon (which is free and works very well with Daz) and learn to do some modeling with it.  It will be much easier and faster in the long run. (Oh, be aware that texture mapping with Hexagon is a chore ... doable, but other programs (some free) are better for that). But for your first attempt: impressive!

Post edited by 3141592654 on
  • 3WC3WC Posts: 1,095

Yes, thank you for the freebie. I notice the doors on the bookshelf are not rigged quite right--they pivot at the center, not at the hinges. Easy to fix, though.

• ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 886

@3141592654 I'll give hex a try when I get a chance, see if I can get the hang of it. I'm not going to delve into 3d modeling too much at the moment, but it'd be nice to be able to make some simple props when I need them.

@3WC I didn't rig the doors, just left them as separate items for easier access inside or in case someone wants to rig them. My two attempts at rigging ended up with the y rotation not working anymore and the second time I managed to make the slider disappear completely.

I managed some simple rigging, just used the joint editor to move the doors' origin points.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,295

3WC said:

I managed some simple rigging, just used the joint editor to move the doors' origin points.

Can you show us how to do that, cause that I don't know how to do in Daz...lol 

edited April 2021

Well, as mentioned, everything is just its own separate object. So the first thing I did was parent the doors to the bookshelf. I right-clicked on them in the Scene pane and chose change parent, then made sure to check the option "Parent in place" in the box that comes up. That way the doors don't change position.

After that it is simply a matter of selecting each door, and using the joint editor tool to move the green and red arrow widgets from the center of the doors to the edge, where hinges would be.

Then I did some cleanup: I hid every translation and rotation for the doors except the y rotate, which was the one I wanted. Also changed its name to "Open".

Finally, I just saved everything as a scene subset for easy future use.

Screenshot 2021-04-15 073916.png
    628 x 416 - 22K
    Screenshot 2021-04-15 074005.png
    610 x 350 - 27K
    Screenshot 2021-04-15 074104.png
    791 x 1049 - 70K
    Post edited by 3WC on