Hide all children

I've been working with a large environment prop that both slows down my viewport enough that I can't do animation effectively and makes seeing things difficult without setting up a bunch of different cameras. This would be fine if I knew how to hide all the children of the prop by hiding the parent.

Is there way to either have all children respond to the visibility of the parent or just change the visibility status of all selected articles?

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Hi!

In your Scene tab, if you right-click on the parent node you should have options pop up to select that plus its children.

Then go to Parameters tab (you will need to have Consolidate turned on in Parameters settings) and turn visibility to OFF.

• aaráribel caađoaaráribel caađo Posts: 686
    edited December 1969

Thanks! This will be so helpful.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

the topic title had me quite intrigued.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,112
    edited December 1969

If the items are separate, not a partial set of bones of a figure, you can just group them (select the items, Create>New Group...) and the group visibility will propagate. If they are bones in a figure, there was a recent freebie script to hide children; I forgot to add it to my index thread so I don't have a link to hand.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

If the items are separate, not a partial set of bones of a figure, you can just group them (select the items, Create>New Group...) and the group visibility will propagate. If they are bones in a figure, there was a recent freebie script to hide children; I forgot to add it to my index thread so I don't have a link to hand.

O.O

Richard, I love you. I'm off to try this.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes I did resist the temptation to respond to that :coolsmirk:

• Hi guys, In a group, the parent visibility propogates but it appears not to for a null with children.  Is it possible to get a null's children to hide with the null?

• Not directly, that is why groups were added.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

I know... Personally I just throw an old tarp or tablecloth over them and tell them it's a game... The guests usually don't notice.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009

I knew I could count on you, McGyver.  laugh

• Well, I have noticed that children tab before but never understood what the heck it referred to. Wish I had; it would have be useful knowing this information more than once.

Just goes to show it pays to look through forums like this.

My thanks to aararibel caado the original questioner and to SickleYield for the answer.

• If the items are separate, not a partial set of bones of a figure, you can just group them (select the items, Create>New Group...) and the group visibility will propagate. If they are bones in a figure, there was a recent freebie script to hide children; I forgot to add it to my index thread so I don't have a link to hand.

Ahh, thank you so very much (again), Richard! I was JUST looking for a good way to do exactly this! (though an 'export selected' would be nice too.)