CMS database on a file share not working

DrGonzo62DrGonzo62 Posts: 221

Hi,
I'd like to have the CMS DB living on a file share on my LAN, but I'm getting inconsistent results.

On three different PC's on my LAN I can point the CMS DB to the file share (Edit/Preferences/CMS Settings)
And amazingly - DAZ connects to the DB and I can see all my custom categories!

Until I exit DAZ and fire it up again. Then I'm getting "A valid PostgreSQL CMS can't be established...."
And that's it. Can't get DAZ to accept that CMS DB on my file share for the life of me.

If that was a problem with my firewall settings it would either always work or never.
It's DAZ that seems to flip a coin as to when to accept a CMS DB on a file share or not.

I can't possible be the only one that ran into this bug, can I?
I mean, how many people have only one PC at home these days, right?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Post edited by DrGonzo62 on

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited April 2021

Well for what it's worth, I have a vague recollection that "only one" computer [or one instance of D/S, one account] can be signed in on to said clouds at a time {for the CMS to work}.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • DrGonzo62DrGonzo62 Posts: 221

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.

I was taking a suggestion from Richard about accessing the DB from a file share:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/417186/sharing-custom-categories-on-2-computers

Hi Richard,
    Is this limited to a single PC accessing the DB at a time?

• DrGonzo62 said:

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.

I was taking a suggestion from Richard about accessing the DB from a file share:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/417186/sharing-custom-categories-on-2-computers

Hi Richard,
    Is this limited to a single PC accessing the DB at a time?

I don't know, sorry. People have set up shared databses, though I think it tends to be a fiddle, but it's not soemthing I have tried and I don't know if they ever had both systems running concurrently.

Hi Richard,
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    Maybe someone else who has some experience with this will chime in.

Quite frankly I'm amazed that this hasn't come up more often.
    A lot of people I'd imagine have DS running on more than one PC, NAS's have become dirt cheap, and being able to share custom categories among various DS installs seems pretty necessary for any workflow using multiple systems.

edited April 2021

It looks like the problem is a lack of permission for remote system accounts to access the DB on a file share.

This is from the cms\ContentCluster\dblog.txt

LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
    LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
    FATAL:  role "me2" does not exist

me2 is my Windoze user account on a PC. Seems the DB is missing access permissions for non-local user accounts.
    Too bad, that would have made working with several DS installs so much easier.
    And I'm not going to fire up MySQL to see if I can fix this... :)

Post edited by DrGonzo62 on

Catherine3678ab said:

Well for what it's worth, I have a vague recollection that "only one" computer [or one instance of D/S, one account] can be signed in on to said clouds at a time {for the CMS to work}.

Looks like you got it right all along. frown

Only one account/system at a time. No multi-user option. Bummer...
    This is taking DS several notches down for me.