More Clarity for the Runtime Folders

WolpiWolpi Posts: 323
edited December 1969 in New Users

Since long ago I'm used to the irritating labels of the folders - it doesn't always contain what it says.
But as the stuff is growing and each browsing takes more and more time I would like to move or pool some items.
I'm aware it's dangerous, so I ask you before daring it. I already bundled the poses in a subfolder and it didn't cause any problem.
Now I would like to move all the hair which is mainly automatically sorted into the CHARACTER (=FIGURES) folder to the HAIR folder. Would this be permissible?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,072
    edited December 1969

What program do you use?
    DS wouldn't have any problem with having cr2 files into the Hair library, and IIRC recent versions of Poser don't mind either.
    For some older versions of Poser each library will only display the files which have the "right" extension for its "type", so if you want to move a cr2 hair file into the Hair library you have to change its extension to hr2 (the file should still work exactly in the same way afterwards, it's just for display).

The only problem you may have is for items which are provided with a pmd morph file, or with the obj in the same folder as the library file (very bad design IMO, but it happens sometimes), because path to those files will change when you move them so the reference won't work anymore and you will have to locate the files or correct the references.
    But for most content it should work without a problem.

• WolpiWolpi Posts: 323
    edited December 1969

Oh, it seems to be more problematical than I thought. So I will let anything stay in place. Probably it's the same with props. For example, some clothing is in the PROPS folder instead of the FIGURES'. Hard to understand, but I will live with it.
    Thank you, Leana. Btw: where do I find your creations? I'm a faerie lover too. :)

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,072
    edited November 2014

It's the same with props yes.
    Honestly, I'd say just try moving on file as is and see if it works. If it does, then the others should work too.
    And if one file doesn't work anymore then ask in the forums, there will always be someone who can tell you how to fix it ;)
    As I said, if you're using DS or recent Poser (as in Poser 8+ or something like that) you shouldn't have any problem with 99% of the library files.
    What you should definitely avoid is to move poser files which are not in one of the libraries, like geometries and textures.

As for my creations, unfortunately I don't have a public online gallery right now... The one I had at DAZ disappeared when they've redone the site a few years ago and I never took the time to recreate one when they added galleries back. Maybe it's time for me to do it... ;)

Post edited by Leana on
  • adegneradegner Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

My favorite is under materials, select eyes and you get fingernails and lips. This is true for damn near all the catagories. Would be nice if daz would fix the stuff but I wouldn't count on that

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

adegner said:
    My favorite is under materials, select eyes and you get fingernails and lips. This is true for damn near all the catagories. Would be nice if daz would fix the stuff but I wouldn't count on that

That's a separate matter, as it's in Categories, not the Poser-format Runtime files on disk. If the OP is willing to use Categories he can move things around howev er he wishes without having to worry about breaking things.

As for your issue, if you can identify the products which are miscategorized, could you submit a tech support ticket to have it fixed? I just checked my Default > Materials > Eyes category, and I have only eyes. Are you using Valentina or PostgreSQL CMS? You may have a corrupt database.

• adegneradegner Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Im running Valentina because PostgreSQL does not live well with my firewall. I've uninstalled everything quite a few times to fix this thing. I have no poser items installed, that's what poser 2014 is for so it is daz only. I have about 500 of the 3000 some items installed and it has been like this for quite a few installs. Hopefully the PostgreSQL will get fixed so it works better. I've been told my database is corrupt so many times it is not funny. Studio needs a major update that works properly. I don't use studio for nothing more than a export mechanism I render in other packages.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,470
    edited December 1969

The PostgreSQL is the fix for the corrupt databases. Its a lot more stable CMS

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Wolpi said:
    Probably it's the same with props. For example, some clothing is in the PROPS folder instead of the FIGURES'.

In the case of Poser content, clothes in the Props library folder are frequently dynamic cloth, for use in the Cloth Room. They're in the Props library because they are actually props, not figures like the more usual conforming clothes.