Can someone write a tutorial on how to install Daz Studio Pro BETA?

vozolgantvozolgant Posts: 207
edited May 2021 in The Commons

Can someone write a tutorial on how to install Daz Studio Pro BETA?

- Via browser, I purchased Daz Studio Pro BETA and it's in the product library.
- I have DIM installed and logged in with my account, but don't see the beta anywhere for download.
- EDIT: I added "public builds" to the filter and can now see DAZ Studio Beta avaliable for download, but I've manually installed DAZ Studio 4.15. Will that cause problems when trying to install the beta via DIM?

I'm forced to install beta because the release version of DAZ GOZ is broken when trying to export Genesis 8.1 with any attached objects like clothing or eyebrows, etc.

I need to avoid the beta overriding or getting rid of all my custom interface and custom settings in my main installed version of DAZ Studio 4.15.

Post edited by vozolgant on

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,621
    edited May 2021

It is hidden in dim, you have to go into the dim preferences I think and do something such as show production build, it is hidden by default in there.

Ah tutorial here

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388
    edited May 2021

In DIM:

1. Click the cog icon, top right.

2. Click Advanced Settings

3. Click on the Downloads tab

4. Scroll down to the bottom until you see the section 'Release Channel Tags'

5. Ensure 'Private Build' is checked. Click 'Accept'

6. If necessary, click the refresh button (the double circular arrow button, to the left of the 'Account' button on the same line as the cog icon)

To change font size in the forum, click the cog icon at the top right of your post. When the editor opens, select all your text. On the second row of icons above the editor window, there is probably one that says 'Heading 1' - click that dropdown and choose 'normal'.

Post edited by Frinkky on
  • vozolgantvozolgant Posts: 207
    edited May 2021

Thanks guys.

I'm now able to download and install the beta through DIM.

However, I've installed DAZ 4.15.0.2 MANUALLY, not through DIM. Is it safe to install the Beta through DIM, despite DAZ version 4.15.0.2  already installed manually? Will it know not to install the beta over the main installed version, since it's not installed through DIM? I can't risk losing all my plugins or custom interface settings, custom hotkeys, custom panels, scripts, etc.

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

vozolgant said:

Thanks guys.

However, I've installed DAZ 4.15 MANUALLY, not through DIM. Is it safe to install the Beta through DIM, despite an existing version of DAZ installed manually?

Yes. it installs to a separate folder by default. 

• vozolgantvozolgant Posts: 207
    edited May 2021

Frinkky said:

vozolgant said:

Thanks guys.

However, I've installed DAZ 4.15 MANUALLY, not through DIM. Is it safe to install the Beta through DIM, despite an existing version of DAZ installed manually?

Yes. it installs to a separate folder by default. 

Thanks. I installed it. Is there anyway to rapidly import all custom settings and plugins from the already installed, non-beta DAZ installation of 4.15.0.2 ?

edit: here is a link for anyone who wants to transfer the UI & mapped content folders: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/311401/using-your-old-preferences-in-ds-beta-public-build .. Use both scripts, they work perfectly.

• zombiewhackerzombiewhacker Posts: 683

Is database corruption when installing the beta still an issue?

The tutorial Serene Night points to warns, "if you are upgrading from Daz Studio 4.8, it is highly recommended that you backup your content database in Daz Studio 4.8 before launching Daz Studio 4.10." But those versions were both longago.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,825

zombiewhacker said:

Is database corruption when installing the beta still an issue?

The tutorial Serene Night points to warns, "if you are upgrading from Daz Studio 4.8, it is highly recommended that you backup your content database in Daz Studio 4.8 before launching Daz Studio 4.10." But those versions were both longago.

It's annecdotal evidence but I've been using the beta on both OSX and Windows for a while and have not had any database corruption issues with it. Also, I don't think I have seen any forum posts about any such thing from anyone else which can be linked to the beta.

However, even if it does not state it anywhere, when using anything labelled as "Beta" you should always expect some bugs/issues. You might get lucky and not notice any but by definition a "Beta release" has not yet received the full amount of user-testing and/or the seal of approval from whoever is releasing it and so should be used under some form of "at your own risk".

With regards to the CMS/Database, if you do not make many manual changes yourself then it's not the end of the word if it corrupts since you can restore/rebuild the metadata from the /runtime/support files. If you do make lots of manual categorisation changes then you should probably regularly export these whether you use the Beta or normal version anyway.