Gpu requirements for Octane plug-in????

What are the minimum system requirements for the octane plug-in as far as gpu goes?

Comments

• UHFUHF Posts: 512

You should check their site.  You may have to check with the forums if you have a really old card.  I've used it with GTX 980s, and GTX 1660s, and I think I need to upgrade to use it with my RTX 3080TI.  I don't know exactly what the limitations are for the free plug in, but it will allow you to use CPU RAM if your card doesn't have enough.

• The gpu requirements are apparently unchanged. Do you think a gtx 1060 6gb is enough vram for medium sized scenes or 4 genesis 8 characters a few buildings or a city scene like urban future or desert outpost by stonemason and viehicles a terrain ie floating islands by thephilosopher iray worlds my magix or an interior like HAB or The Nova by stonemason and an hdri? Or should I go with a Quadro m4000? I'd rather not spend Quadro m4000 money if I don't have to as have $350 to spend on a gpu and anything else I want to get for myself gpu and otherwise  and THATS IT! I'm on a fixed budget! 680s are going for less than 1060s last time I looked. In fact you can pickup a m4000 for the price of a 680!

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

If you have enough system RAM, then the 1060 will be fine. Unlike Iray, Octane can use your system RAM in addition to your GPU memory for rendering on the GPU.  You just need to set everything up in the settings to tell Octane how much GPU memory and how much system memory you want it to use.  You can even set it to use less than the available GPU memory in case you need a little headroom on your GPU to do something else while you render. For example, with the 1060 you could have Octane use 4Gb GPU memory and allocate 12Gb system RAM for rendering giving you a total of 16Gb available for your renders. When using system RAM for rendering there will be a slight drop in rendering performance simply because data has to be moved between system RAM to GPU memory, but it's not bad at all. Even when using system RAM to render, you will see very little activity on your CPU.  Octane never uses as much CPU for rendering as Iray does when Iray is rendering only on the GPU, which is another plus for Octane (Iray always uses one full core on your CPU to render in GPU only mode).