My Renders Are Coming Out Black

I keep having a problem when I try to do renders using certain sets, notably Sci Fi interiors and Solaris sets. It doesn't seem to matter what exposure settings I try or light sources I use in the original picture. When I click 'render' all I get is a black picture maybe with a few little dots or (if I'm very lucky) some vague shadowy images that you can sort of make out.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help. :-)

Comments

• Have you tried using the camera headlamp (which, by default, will be on if there are no actual lights in the scene)? Have you tried adjusting the Tone mapping (which requires Create>New Tonemapper Options if there isn't already a tonemapper object)?

• roninwolf109roninwolf109 Posts: 45
    edited July 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

Have you tried using the camera headlamp (which, by default, will be on if there are no actual lights in the scene)? Have you tried adjusting the Tone mapping (which requires Create>New Tonemapper Options if there isn't already a tonemapper object)?

I've tried turning down the Exposure Value which sort of helped. I have a light source with the intensity turned all the way up though it still seems to come out really dark and grainy, with white dots all over the place. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but when I click render it goes from about 3% to around 77%...then kinda sits there for awhile then says it's done.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015

Are these sets using the regular shaders or Iray shaders? Are you rendering with 3Delight or Iray?

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    edited July 2021

roninwolf109 said:

I've tried turning down the Exposure Value which sort of helped. I have a light source with the intensity turned all the way up though it still seems to come out really dark and grainy, with white dots all over the place. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but when I click render it goes from about 3% to around 77%...then kinda sits there for awhile then says it's done.

"Intensity" is only for 3Delight renders.

You need to use Luminous Flux for Iray. Create a point light (not a linear point light) and turn the lumens up to 25,000 or so, then see if it renders.

Post edited by margrave on
  • roninwolf109 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Have you tried using the camera headlamp (which, by default, will be on if there are no actual lights in the scene)? Have you tried adjusting the Tone mapping (which requires Create>New Tonemapper Options if there isn't already a tonemapper object)?

Staying grainy generally indicates that there isn't enough light getting to the grainy areas, so some spots are bright (hit by a light path) and others are dark (not hit). Iray relies on having multiple paths end at each pixel, so that it can get a decent average value. I suspect that yourr ender is just timing out (by default it will stop after two hours)

• Okay, it looks like I got it working. Thanks for all your help! :-)