Confusion related to "Mora for Victoria 8" and similar figures

Every now and then,  I will see an item, that has the title like this.

"Mora for Victoria 8"  from https://www.daz3d.com/mora-for-victoria-8

Once I hit the product page, the description says, 

Required Products:

Compatible Figures:

Genesis 8 Female

So, what happens if i get this and try to apply to the base Female character? I dont have the Victoria figure in my asset library. Would it still work and appear under 'smart content'? 

In general, any time you have something that says "X for Y", does it always mean, I must have 'Y' even if 'X' is compatible with Genesis 8 as per the store description. Or, do I have limit myself to products that simply say 'X' compatible with Genesis 8 and 8.X?

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

All Genesis 8 characters have the same underlying mesh. A new figure is created by somebody exporting the mesh into a modeling program and reshaping the vertices to create a new morph.

"Mora for Victoria 8" means the artist started with Victoria 8 as a base model. To get the advertised shape, both morphs need to be applied since morphs only store their own individual vertex offsets.

If you applied the Mora morph to the base G8 figure, then you might or might not get a good result, since it's not being added atop the V8 morph.

Texture maps should transfer over fine, though, since G8 figures share the same UVs.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033
    edited July 2021

vijayasimhabr said:

So, what happens if i get this and try to apply to the base Female character? 

A character "for Name 8" will sorta work without the Named character: texture should apply ok since it uses the G8 base UVs, but the shape won't be the same as in the promo pics since you don't have the "Name 8" shape which is used as part of the morph mix for that character.

How different it looks depends on how much of the "Name 8" morph is used to achieve the character shape, and how distinctive the "Name 8" shape is: a character made using a named character which has a very distinctive shape like Topsy or Brooke is likely to look very different without the named character, for example.

For previous Genesis figures it could also mean that the textures used custom UVs provided with the Named character, in which case the textures wouldn't work if you don't have the named character.

Post edited by Leana on
  • @margrave @Leana

Ah! Excellent, that clarifies the situation for me now. I finally understand the "X for Y". I will stay clear of "X for Y" items till I have the actual item in my library.

Thank you very much to both of you.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

You can see a few examples of how some "X for Y" look without Y in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/394456/the-dial-them-out-thread/p1

• Ah! Nice. This is perfect. Thank you so much @Leana. Much apperciation.

I will add this to my work diary.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,167

Leana said:

You can see a few examples of how some "X for Y" look without Y in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/394456/the-dial-them-out-thread/p1

I love that my nightmare hatchling is the last post in that thread right now.