Shark Tail

ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,513

Never saw that one coming but it's in my cart. Am I losing it or do you guys like it too?

Comments

• I love it! The craftmanship is amazing. I do still wish for a basic merman's tail that perfectly fades into the skin and doesn't look like a fancy dress costume. 

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557

I'm not fan of the merfolk theme but this product will be the exception.

Nice works, it's beautiful !

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,031
    edited July 2021
    It's creative, but the shark parts of the body are positioned so far down that it looks somewhat as if a person's legs are in the mouth of a shark. Might grow on me after seeing it "in action" but at first glance it's not quite to my liking. Still, more denizens of the sea = cool.
    Post edited by doubledeviant on
  • MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114
    I sorta like it, but I'm very picky with the way I like merfolk to look like. (I agree with the shark parts being too far down, but it still looks great.) I looked through all the promos but it doesn't look like the fins are posable.
    edited July 2021

What I like with this product is the shark skin is partially covering the human part.

Centaur, Spiderfolk, Lamia, Mermaid ... for all these products the skin transition is limited to the area between the animal part and the human part.
    Just it's a human wearing an animal body.

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • Angela3DAngela3D Posts: 77

It's nice, but someone might want to take a look at male shark anatomy.

• AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289

And the best is, it is Genesis 8. I wish the four assets would be in a bundle, as this bundle I would buy for sure.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

The problem with this shark man is that it is missing its most important aspect, ie a huge jaw and sharp teeth. How is a sharkman going to kill its prey, bash them with its tail?

This is a more threatening looking shark man: https://www.daz3d.com/jawz-for-genesis-81-male

• AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289

He suites my tastes more than Jawz. No sane woman wants to interact with the latter, if you get what I mean. ;)

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

AbyssalEros said:

He suites my tastes more than Jawz. No sane woman wants to interact with the latter, if you get what I mean. ;)

Well I don't really do those types of renders, but yes, I see your point.

edited July 2021

Havos said:

The problem with this shark man is that it is missing its most important aspect, ie a huge jaw and sharp teeth. How is a sharkman going to kill its prey, bash them with its tail?

This is a more threatening looking shark man: https://www.daz3d.com/jawz-for-genesis-81-male

As always there is no interest to make several times the same creature. 

At least you can mix these different styles if you want.

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,319

doubledeviant said:

It's creative, but the shark parts of the body are positioned so far down that it looks somewhat as if a person's legs are in the mouth of a shark. Might grow on me after seeing it "in action" but at first glance it's not quite to my liking. Still, more denizens of the sea = cool.

+1. I also see a man in a shark's mouth. But it looks like a great model.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,319

doubledeviant said:

+1. I also see a man in a shark's mouth. But it looks like a great model.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114
    Havos said:

These sharkmen have arms though and can use weapons, as shown in these promo pics. https://www.daz3d.com/scarred-hierarchical-poses-for-genesis-8-male-and-fpe-shark-tail The human head might also mean they can go to the surface and breathe if they wish, and random mariners would assume they're regular humans and not show hostility towards them. :P
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,023
    edited July 2021

Thank you all for your interest! We wanted to go in a different route to what had already been done, so I agree that the concept might take some getting used to in regards to how the Shark Tail was constructed (even we had to get used to it while working on it). Personally, I was relieved that we didn't end up overlapping with RawArt's Jawz and, instead, we ended up with a product that was sufficiently different from his. What would be the use of doing something that has already been done? Keep in mind that I was already working on the promos for the base product when Jawz came out, so

@MimicMolly, all of the shark tail (including the fins) are posable. The only ones that aren't are the arm fins, as they are too short to allow any bones, so they are simply grafted to the arms and move with the forearms. Hope the information is useful :).

@Havos, don't forget humans are apex predators! Like Molly mentioned, by having the torso and arms, you can arm him with swords, axes, or even just have him use magic or superstrength. He is not real, so the only limit is your imagination ;). Again, he was not meant to compete with Jawz, this tail is a different concept altogether (more in line with a centaur).

@AbyssalEros, I understand, sadly creating a bundle out of a collaboration between multiple PAs is always tricky unless the bundle ends up as a Daz Original (since in that case, Daz buys the assets from the PAs and then bundle them together).

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on

Noah LGP said:

What I like with this product is the shark skin is partially covering the human part.

Centaur, Spiderfolk, Lamia, Mermaid ... for all these products the skin transition is limited to the area between the animal part and the human part.
    Just it's a human wearing an animal body.

I'm glad you liked the transition, a lot of thought went into it. We wanted the shark tail to go beyond just adding different anatomy and help the end-user really transform the human parts as well via a texture that still allowed you to change the base character and create multiple characters. That's also why the base product has 3 different transitions and the add-on has a transition for each shark. Albeit, Orca knows he's not a shark but he doesn't care lol.

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 798
    edited July 2021

Well, it all looks great, Fenix. I saw a sneak peak somewhere across social media, and was very much looking forward to this. It gives me a few more options for my merfolk.

I don't have Jawz, but I bet he'd look interesting with a shark tail attached to him. hehe wink edit: OOPS I didn't know Jawz came with a shark body. blush

Post edited by ZippyGuitar on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I like it better than the one that came with Zale. It is sitting in my cart, unfortunately pay day is next Friday so I will see.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

One of the reasons I got Jawz was because of a shark-styled merfolk tail, which makes this alternative version interesting. A little odd that it means six entire sets of gills are included, though!

Has anyone attempted to combine Jawz with this, to see if the arm-fins are compatible and if the transluscency of materials line up?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I liked it and was going to buy but then I saw I think it looks like a shark is eating their meal from many angles although technically it does look geographed with great skill. I don't want to confuse the audience so would they see a mershark or a person being eaten by a shark?

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

Now er need Lava Girl

• Havos said:

Would love to see the "JAWS" head on the sharktail body!
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,513
    edited July 2021

Havos said:

I loved your comment,because . . . a sharks vertical tail is flat. Near to zero mobility. A horizontal tail (dolphins) allow quick change maneuvers like the wheel of a ship, threat ahead, later dude, I'm outta here. But doplhins don't go that route. They slam their thick snouts into the gills to scare off the shark or underbelly of a shark and avoir mon amie, you just got a fatal snoutn hit. Dolpins are groupees while sharks are loners and if dolphins are starstruck by a human they whole pod intervenes. Sharkes are also bullys. They usually only attack smaller prey like humans or dolphin babies. But the killer whale (dolphin species) uses their tails to kill a shark. What I'd love to know is why do the killer whales crave the shark's liver. It's the only part they eat.

Post edited by ArtAngel on
    edited July 2021

Edited. Messing around with some bizarre mixes. Nothing worth sharing so I deleted images.

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421

ArtAngel said:

Havos said:

I loved your comment,because . . . a sharks vertical tail is flat. Near to zero mobility. A horizontal tail (dolphins) allow quick change maneuvers like the wheel of a ship, threat ahead, later dude, I'm outta here. But doplhins don't go that route. They slam their thick snouts into the gills to scare off the shark or underbelly of a shark and avoir mon amie, you just got a fatal snoutn hit. Dolpins are groupees while sharks are loners and if dolphins are starstruck by a human they whole pod intervenes. Sharkes are also bullys. They usually only attack smaller prey like humans or dolphin babies. But the killer whale (dolphin species) uses their tails to kill a shark. What I'd love to know is why do the killer whales crave the shark's liver. It's the only part they eat.

It's the dolphin's tail which is flat. Shark tails are like rudders, standing straight upright. Also, the shark has an advantage of cartilage over bone, which makes them highly agile.

It's incorrect to say sharks are always loners. Some swim in schools. Great whites were thought, for a long time, to swim alone, but in recent years have been observed to swim in groups.

Sharks often hunt/kill dolphins: https://www.dolphins-world.com/dolphin-predators/

Yes, dolphins are known to go after small sharks, but generally avoid the larger ones and swim fast away when they suspect one is in the immediate area.

I don't know of any evidence to show orcas killing sharks with tails. This video has a group of them teaming up to take a lone tiger shark in their mouth:

It's actually dolphins who would be considered bullies. Even psychopaths, by our standards! Sharks are generally acting just on instinct and kill to obtain food. Dolphins... Those are very different. There was a pod of porpoises who were washed ashore, a few years ago and environmentalists were convinced the internal damage meant US Navy experiments with sonar must have been taking place. This resulted in a ton of money being spent by the US government to demonstrate in court that no such experiments were taking place.

The actual culprits turned out to be dolphins. A group of them moved into the area, herded the porpoises into a closed area and killed them with their sonar. It wasn't for reasons for food or territory, as they weren't interested in taking over the same location and here was more than enough fish to support both. The dolphins just decided to commit genocide and wipe outt he entire group of porpoises.

There was a video filmed by trouists on a boat, where they assumed an adult dolphin was playing with an infant, jumping out of the water together. It turned out that it was an adult male who had isolated the younger dolphin and was repeatedly ramming into it, hurling it out of the water. Interestingly, it was doing so with deliebrately just enough force to cause immense pain, but not kill it outright. It was very much the same sadistic behaaviour cats exhibit, except to an infant of its own group.

Think of a crime in our society and dolphins do it on a regular basis. Not just stealing from others, but gang rape, infanticide, genocide - virtually everything. They're the psychotic serial killers of the oceans.

edited July 2021

Xenomorphine said:

It's actually dolphins who would be considered bullies. Even psychopaths, by our standards! Sharks are generally acting just on instinct and kill to obtain food. Dolphins... Those are very different. There was a pod of porpoises who were washed ashore, a few years ago and environmentalists were convinced the internal damage meant US Navy experiments with sonar must have been taking place. This resulted in a ton of money being spent by the US government to demonstrate in court that no such experiments were taking place.

Yeah I know they're vertical left flat beside vertical lol.

I guess it depends on what your read and watch I read and watch a ton of Nat Geo. I found this interesting and not an untypical story.

And for anyone else wanting to see what the @FenixPhoenix Shark Tail can do, it works on everything I've tried.

Sharkman-WIP-JRayDesigns.jpg
    1500 x 900 - 2M
    edited July 2021

@xenomorphine, I shall never see Dolphins with the same eyes again! Very interesting facts, thanks for sharing!

@Artangel, thank you for purchasing our products and sharing your renders (what mix of characters did you use on that last one, if you don't mind me asking)! Yes, highly recommend the pose sets as @Ensary did a fantastic job on them! @Islandgirl also has a set that's pending launch, btw.

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on

For those interested, I just found out a way to create a Geoshell on Genesis 8.1 that will act as a template so all the material presets are set correctly! The best part is that it will require just two additional presets, so I'll be issuing an update to the Shark Tail so it can work on Genesis 8.1 by applying the Geoshell Wearable I'll be submitting. Of course, that also means that the texture add-on will now work on that Geoshell as well without having to duplicate presets!

edited July 2021

FenixPhoenix said:

@xenomorphine, I shall never see Dolphins with the same eyes again! Very interesting facts, thanks for sharing!

@Artangel, thank you for purchasing our products and sharing your renders (what mix of characters did you use on that last one, if you don't mind me asking)! Yes, highly recommend the pose sets as @Ensary did a fantastic job on them! @Islandgirl also has a set that's pending launch, btw.

The Count HD. Someone mentioned no shark teeth so I thought I'd give it a quick shot lol. I may have altered it slightly but I also undid most dials (try undo cycles) so I'm thinking 100% The Count except I was messing with teeth and mouth a bit. Is there a way to tell what I used? I doubt it was much. Threw it together pretty quick. And Thanks for making them. You did a fantastic job. This is the last one and the male, brow, eyes, chin, jaw etc all manually altered but for that I made so many changes he can't take any purchased expressions. Had to hand dial the eyes mouth etc.

Heres another with unposed shark tails and no postwork just added name to rendered png resized from 6000 to 1000 width with lower dpi and flattened. Unfortunately you're not seeing the same details here, that I see in your tails. This is one of several renders  and I will snag poses in next day or so  - still in cart - yes, ditto on " @Ensary did a fantastic job on them! @Islandgirl." - I have quite a few of their products. It's Monday so I have to actually do some serious work but here's another 100% no post work, poke through and all, experimenting mostly, although I plan to rework/postwork them in a serious manner in the very near future. I'm using the Count Shark character fom last post and these characters attached in a fantasy series. Book is finished soon to be published but first I need to create trailers animations etc. so your product is perfect for me as was the other recent release. I also bought a your LIE, Bruises, Face etc (among other products), and Valentine's Kit for the Toxic Thoughts trailers, another to-do on my list. So thank you for being a PA here. :) I decided to finally create a gallery here and The Count Shark is the only image submitted with links to your product. Keep up the good work!

SharkCouple2.jpg
    1000 x 625 - 651K

@ArtAngel, now that you mentioned the Count I can see his morph in there! Yes, you can see which combination of dials you used by opening the Parameters Tab (Windows>Pane>Parameters) and, with your character selected, click on "Currently Used". That will list all the morph dials being used by the character.

Love the render, thank you for sharing! I'm surprised the tail worked on females (or are you using transgender morphs?). The ear morphs really worked out great to finish the look!