A boba tea shop without boba tea?! Really?!

2»

Comments

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,139
    edited July 2021
    Artini said:

Interesting, is it something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

Just wonder, if Boba Fett drink it in Star Wars.

AFAIK bubble tea = Boba tea. I used to love them, until I saw my taro tea (purple in color) was made from some white powder dissolved in water lol. And they are basically sugar bombs lol but as least people can ask for a reduced sugar version in where I live.
    Post edited by CHWT on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,903
    edited July 2021

CHWT said:

Artini said:

Interesting, is it something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

Just wonder, if Boba Fett drink it in Star Wars.

AFAIK bubble tea = Boba tea. I used to love them, until I saw my taro tea (purple in color) was made from some white powder dissolved in water lol. And they are basically sugar bombs lol but as least people can ask for a reduced sugar version in where I live.

Good to know, what shall I avoid. I do not like sugar as is, but only in small amount as possible in chocolate and cakes.

Post edited by Artini on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,924

Serene Night said:

Boba tea doesn't need the tapioca pearls, and you can leave them out. They don't however taste like tapioca or much of anything.  I like Thai Iced tea, and I sometimes leave them out. I'm not always in the mood for the fish-eye mouth feel.

ew, that is exactly what tapioca reminds me of, texture wise, fish eggs frown

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,263

Serene Night said:

Boba tea doesn't need the tapioca pearls, and you can leave them out. They don't however taste like tapioca or much of anything.  I like Thai Iced tea, and I sometimes leave them out. I'm not always in the mood for the fish-eye mouth feel.

The tapioca pearls are the titular boba, so it literally isn't boba tea without those.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Something like this...

"In July 2019, Singapore's Mount Alvernia Hospital warned against the sugar content of bubble tea since the drink had become extremely popular in Singapore. While it acknowledged the benefits of drinking green tea and black tea in reducing risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, arthritis and cancer, respectively, the hospital cautions the addition of other ingredients like non-dairy creamer and toppings in the tea, could raise the fat and sugar content of the tea and increase the risk of chronic diseases. Non-dairy creamer is a milk substitute that contains trans fat in the form of hydrogenated palm oil. The hospital warned that this oil has been strongly correlated with an increased risk of heart disease and stroke"

...makes me glad that the trend to bubble your tea hasn't seemed to have reached europe yet. There's already too many sugarbombed drinks around here anyway.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Gordig said:

Serene Night said:

The tapioca pearls are the titular boba, so it literally isn't boba tea without those.

The place by my house has it listed as milk tea on the menu. You can then add boba, or any number of toppings, to it if you like. But I call it boba tea because that's how I've heard it referred to in shows, and to avoid confusion with regular tea that just has some milk added. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

tapioca starch is a wonder vegan ingrediant to thicken up lots of dishes

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

nonesuch00 said:

...and a great sources for carbohydrates and calories... as it's about 100% starch. Which is transformed into a type sugar when digested. And as the tapioka isn't sweet - but nourishing - there's sugar added to the bubbly drink for the "right" taste, so we end up with a drink that often has twice as much calories in it than the same amount of coca cola...

edited July 2021

maikdecker said:

nonesuch00 said:

...and a great sources for carbohydrates and calories... as it's about 100% starch. Which is transformed into a type sugar when digested. And as the tapioka isn't sweet - but nourishing - there's sugar added to the bubbly drink for the "right" taste, so we end up with a drink that often has twice as much calories in it than the same amount of coca cola...

Yeah, it's so good, it's hard to describe the flavor as it's a richness and not sweet, sour, fatty, and so on. The old German standby of potato starch can be said to be the same. For those on a limited budget that don't eat high calorie meats loaded with fats, tapioca and potato starches are a cheap staple that helps one get to their calorie goals cheaply by adding it to soups and such. Also, they are more loaded with micronutrients then one might suppose from soil minerals. No matter what one eats nowadays, the body's instinctive drive to naturally overeat by 100 to 200 calories a day, the real problem in times of abundance, will eventually make people that don't artificially take control of their diets, by going on periodic frequent diets the span of their whole lives, fat.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • boba/bubble tea (tapioca pearls btw after being cooked are stored in a thick sugar syrup, which is why its so sweet) and the texture is kind of gummy

SUPER popular here and in so many flavors... 

But because of the sugar I switched to what they call "grass jelly" which is really just small squares of a plant based semi-gelatin in whatever you get- so I get coffee or tea- any flavor- with little bits of chewable gelatin cubes. There's also ones with aloe vera bits in it. And passion fruit "bubbles" from the passion fruits. 

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 326

maikdecker said:

Something like this...

[...]

...makes me glad that the trend to bubble your tea hasn't seemed to have reached europe yet. There's already too many sugarbombed drinks around here anyway.

Oh it had arrived in Europe. But it died off a few years ago, it was somewhere between the Skylanders hype and the fidget spinners and lasted exactly one summer. xD The stores were everywhere and I'm glad that they aren't anymore. ;)

DisparateDreamer said:

boba/bubble tea (tapioca pearls btw after being cooked are stored in a thick sugar syrup, which is why its so sweet) and the texture is kind of gummy

But because of the sugar I switched to what they call "grass jelly" which is really just small squares of a plant based semi-gelatin in whatever you get- so I get coffee or tea- any flavor- with little bits of chewable gelatin cubes. There's also ones with aloe vera bits in it. And passion fruit "bubbles" from the passion fruits. 

This grass jelly sounds interesting.

DisparateDreamer said:

boba/bubble tea (tapioca pearls btw after being cooked are stored in a thick sugar syrup, which is why its so sweet) and the texture is kind of gummy

I was going to question the wisdom of replacing boba with passion fruit in an effort to avoid sugar, but apparently passion fruit is much less sugary than I expected.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,567

Gordig said:

Serene Night said:

I have heard it referred to as milk tea and boba tea regardless of presence of boba.. there was a boba shortage back in April and Boba-less tea was a thing. 

Serene Night said:

Gordig said:

Serene Night said:

I have heard it referred to as milk tea and boba tea regardless of presence of boba.. there was a boba shortage back in April and Boba-less tea was a thing. 

And Arby's puts roast beef in pita and calls it a gyro, but it ain't.