Daz wont associate files properly.

michaelolsonmichaelolson Posts: 117

Hi. If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. I've spent a lot of time making my own objects and importing textures to compose a scene. All files were sitting on my desktop. A few months ago I copied everything to a separate hard drive because I'm sure my computer had a virus and I wiped it clean then reinstalled everything. I brought the files back onto my desktop but now when I try to open the files Daz says;
Some assets needed to open the file were missing. The content may not work as expected. The following files could not be found.
C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/2nd chapter images/October work/Oct 4th bookcase build/book shelve footers.obj
C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/2nd chapter images/October work/Oct 4th bookcase build/book shelve outer trim.obj
C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/2nd chapter images/October work/Oct 4th bookcase build/book case outer frame.obj
C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/2nd chapter images/October work/Oct 4th bookcase build/book shelves.obj
C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/2nd chapter images/October work/Oct 4th bookcase build/book shelve books.obj

yet all those files are still there, back in the folder on my desktop. How do I get Daz to re associate those files to the Daz file?

Thank you.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

If you right click on one of those .obj's and choose Properties, does it give the path exactly as it's displayed in the error message?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I've spent a lot of time making my own objects and importing textures to compose a scene. All files were sitting on my desktop.
    For future reference: the best way to avoid this problem is to place your work-in-progress folders containing .obj and texture files into the proper /Runtime/Geometries/ and /Runtime/Textures/ folders in one of your content folder locations. Pulling in files from random folders that DAZ|Studio doesn't know are supposed to be content locations is pretty much guaranteed to cause problems eventually.

The biggest problem is that these files can't be shared without fixing file references all over the place — every single mesh and texture reference is pointing to a folder that exists only on your computer. Saving the files properly into your content folder ensures the files can be installed into any content folder on anyone's computer.
    I brought the files back onto my desktop but now when I try to open the files Daz says;
    Some assets needed to open the file were missing. The content may not work as expected. The following files could not be found.

Are you trying to load the .obj files directly, or are you loading a saved scene or prop asset made up of those .obj files? If a saved D|S-format file is looking for .obj files, it sounds like either you didn't back up your /data/ folder from your old content location before wiping and reinstalling your computer, or the restored /data/ folder isn't where D|S is looking for it. When you restored your content folders, did you put them back into exactly the same folder path they were in before?
  • michaelolsonmichaelolson Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

Hi guys, thanks for the replys. They aren't .obj files they are the Daz .duf files. When I right click on the file and choose properties it doesn't show the error message I get when I try to load the file. It doesn't matter if I click on the file to open or open it in Daz, the same thing is happening all the time.

• michaelolsonmichaelolson Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

For a visual, when the files do open they look nothing like the actual original file, they come in as grey shaded large blocks with bevelled edges.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

In DS, go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats", and post a screenshot. Also, for one of the files that DS can't find, what is the full path (i.e. starting from the drive letter)?

• JGreenleesJGreenlees Posts: 2,249
    edited December 1969

Hi. If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. I've spent a lot of time making my own objects and importing textures to compose a scene. All files were sitting on my desktop. A few months ago I copied everything to a separate hard drive because I'm sure my computer had a virus and I wiped it clean then reinstalled everything. I brought the files back onto my desktop but now when I try to open the files Daz says;
    C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/2nd chapter images/October work/Oct 4th bookcase build/book shelve footers.obj
    C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/2nd chapter images/October work/Oct 4th bookcase build/book shelve outer trim.obj
    C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/2nd chapter images/October work/Oct 4th bookcase build/book case outer frame.obj
    C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/2nd chapter images/October work/Oct 4th bookcase build/book shelves.obj
    C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/2nd chapter images/October work/Oct 4th bookcase build/book shelve books.obj

yet all those files are still there, back in the folder on my desktop. How do I get Daz to re associate those files to the Daz file?

Thank you.

It sounds like they weren't saved quite right and are looking for the obj's rather than the files in the data folder.
    If this is one you created and its calling for the obj check the duf file in a text editor and see if that path is in the file, You may need to resave them.