New Tartarean Pirate Ship

RandomRandom Posts: 173

It doesn't look like it, but does anyone know whether the ship's sails can be furled, are they movable like real sails would be in terms of the wind direction, tack of the ship. You can't have any decent battle scenes or storm scenes otherwise.

Comments

• AbyssalErosAbyssalEros Posts: 289

It's a DO asset. Most likely, the answer is no. I guess the whole ship will not have a single morph.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367

AbyssalEros said:

It's a DO asset. Most likely, the answer is no. I guess the whole ship will not have a single morph.

What is a DO asset?

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,903

Bendinggrass said:

AbyssalEros said:

What is a DO asset?

Daz Original

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383

Bendinggrass said:

AbyssalEros said:

What is a DO asset?

Daz Original meaning a PA made it and sold it to Daz.

• SilvheSilvhe Posts: 790

The whole sails arrangement of this ship is totally "fantasy" and nowhere near a real sail ship, I don't think there are morphs at all

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,747

I just finished 3 renders of the ship. When I click on the sails, I am taken to the overall ship asset. It is not an individual character.

Pirate Ship Main Deck.png
    1079 x 800 - 1M
    Inside Pirate Ship Below Gun Deck.png
    1250 x 1000 - 2M
    Inside Pirate Ship Gun Deck.png
    1079 x 800 - 1M
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,513
    edited July 2021

memcneil70 said:

I just finished 3 renders of the ship. When I click on the sails, I am taken to the overall ship asset. It is not an individual character.

No chance of sailors climbing rigging? No caret drop down with children nodes to morph? I had it in my cart but if bones exist . . . too bad such a gorgeous ship.

Edit: It might be worth rigging. Do you know what happens if you select surface (a mast or sail) - Geometry Editor and create a bone?

Post edited by ArtAngel on
    edited July 2021

This is the Scene Tab as much as I could snip.

Added the Props files.

Parameters for PS.PNG
    746 x 1586 - 287K
    PS Props.PNG
    1105 x 669 - 283K
    Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • memcneil70 said:

This is the Scene Tab as much as I could snip.

Added the Props files.

The icons in the Scene pane are for props, so the parts would be movable. If the sails and gunport hatches are part of the ship model then converting it to a figure, assigning them to a group, and then making that the selection group for a new bone (via the joint Editor)would make them hidable, but you'd have to set up bone centre points and flood fill the mesh for each hatch (assunming you gave them each a bone) with 100% weight (Node Weightmap Brush tool) to make them posable. You could make the sails dynamic (and then turn off simulation for all the solid parts) but to make the yards fully posdable would be tircky as the ropes are anchoring them in more than one place.

• RandomRandom Posts: 173

Thanks everyone. Too bad. Of course having a "functional" old sailing ship would be a lot of work. But thank you also, Richard. Doing all that would be a bit much for my very meager modelling talents.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,065
    edited July 2021
    And, it has to be said, the clutter on deck is quite sparce. Where are the marlin spikes, heads, carronades, swivel guns, stacks of balls, capstans, anchors, cat heads, sprit mast (if 17th century), galley chimney, boarding netting filled with hammocks and bedding, or most of the standing and running rigging? It is just what it's intended to be, a set for people to play pirates on, not a model of a 17th or 18th century pirate ship. It's wrong to treat it as anything else.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • Well, HMS Victory is a late-eightteenth/early-nineteenth century naval vessel, Spanish I think, so not very pirate.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,323
    edited July 2021

memcneil70 said:

@Random, have you looked at the following ships?
    https://www.daz3d.com/pw-pirate-ship-poseidon

https://www.daz3d.com/skull-cove-pirate-ship ;  (this is a toon ship)

https://www.daz3d.com/licorne and its https://www.daz3d.com/licorne-accessories

https://www.daz3d.com/hms-victory

I really like the PW pirate ship Poseidon. The doors and hatches are rigged to open & close and there are options for different sail configurations Here is a link to an image I did of it: 

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5656867229401088#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1157840

It is a little pricey but well worth it. Just watch for a good sale.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,323
    edited July 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

Well, HMS Victory is a late-eightteenth/early-nineteenth century naval vessel, Spanish I think, so not very pirate.

HMS Victory was a ship in the Royal Navy:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Victory

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited July 2021

The Licorne is fit for a pirate ship. It's a small privateering vessel, about the size of what was used for piracy. The Licorne Accessories has additional clutter including rolled sails. IIRC Licorne has two material sets. One is more suited for a regular navy ship, the other is suitable for a corsair/pirate.

San Buenaventura from the same PA is also a suitable ship for an earlier time period.

I have both ships. They're quality and properly scaled, but they're older Poser models. Converting them to Iray is required if you don't work in 3dlight.

Edit:

In terms of martinime fantasy like Pirates of The Caribbean movies it's hard to beat the aforementioned PW pirate ship Poseidon. It comes with all possible features, including the captain's cabin interior.

Another pirate ship from the same PA: https://www.daz3d.com/pw-customizable-pirate-ship

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • Charlie Judge said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Well, HMS Victory is a late-eightteenth/early-nineteenth century naval vessel, Spanish I think, so not very pirate.

HMS Victory was a ship in the Royal Navy:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Victory

Huh, I wonder where I got the idea she was captured and recommissioned.

Launched Chatham 1765. First commissioned 1766/7 I think. Re-commissioned from being a hulk by Nelson in 1803. By then it was unusually old, as ships of the time rarely lasted more than 25 years due to rot.

Hmm, I think if a ship was captured and the crew cast adrift, regardless of country of origin, it might be turned towards piracy. 

• RandomRandom Posts: 173

Waiting for a sale on the Poseidon. I have the Licorne but am always interested in sailing ships.

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

memcneil70 said:

Hmm, I think if a ship was captured and the crew cast adrift, regardless of country of origin, it might be turned towards piracy. 

Privateering, old chap. We'll have none of that skullduggery here. I have a letter of marque from the government, don't you know? 

On topic, how is the interior?

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
    edited July 2021

I think the golden age of piracy (1680-1720ish) the main types of ships used were fast sloops.  There is a ton of mythology wrapped up in all things pirate related, but the idea really was not to fight, it was to scare the opponent into surrendering (thus the fancy flags and all).

How Black Beard the pirate got a hold of his flagship, the Queen Anne's Revenge, is a great example.  

The ship was originally built as a 200 tonne Merchant Ship in Briston England...   and named the Concord.  It was captured by French Privateers and then entered service and use as a Naval Frigate and then being converted to a Slave Trader and renamed Le Concord.

According to depositions given to the French Court detailing it's capture by Black Beard, In 1717, La Concorde left Nantes on March 24. The 200-ton ship was armed with sixteen cannon and had a crew of seventy-five. On July 8, La Concorde arrived at the port of Judas, (present-day Benin). There they took on a cargo of 516 captive Africans. 

It 
    took nearly eight weeks to cross the Atlantic which took  its toll on both the Africans and the French crew. By the time they reached the New World, sixty-one slaves and sixteen crewmen had perished. 

So... out of a Crew of 75, now there are only 59.

After crossing the Atlantic, and only 100 miles from Martinique, the French ship encountered Blackbeard and his company

The deposition states that, the pirates were aboard two sloops, one with 120 men and twelve cannon, and the other with thirty men and eight cannon. With the French crew already reduced by sixteen fatalities and another thirty-six seriously ill from scurvy and dysentery, the French were powerless to resist.  So the French ship, out of an original crew of 75, had only about 23 that were able to sail the ship AND offer resistance.

150 Pirates vs 23 French Sailors.

The Pirates fired two volleys at La Concorde, and the French ship surrendered.

I believe this was the modus operandi of "most" pirate ships.  Pirate, during the golden age, is kind of a nebulous term.  Most were just seamen... and during times of war, became part of the navy or privateers.  When the war was over and work was harder to find, back to being pirates.  Rinse and Repeat.

So the way of the pirate was to cram a ton of guys on a smaller faster ship and intimidate your prey into surrendering without actually having to fight.  Smart pirate... very smart. 

Post edited by Chumly on

Frinkky said:

memcneil70 said:

Privateering, old chap. We'll have none of that skullduggery here. I have a letter of marque from the government, don't you know? 

On topic, how is the interior?

See my renders I posted at the top. 

edited July 2021

A ship of the line like HMS Victory would be a terrible choice of a pirate vessel. That's something a state-funded navy can keep supplied and going. Over 800 crew. Only good for carrying the guns and the marines.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,319

PixelSploiting said:

The Licorne is fit for a pirate ship. It's a small privateering vessel, about the size of what was used for piracy. The Licorne Accessories has additional clutter including rolled sails. IIRC Licorne has two material sets. One is more suited for a regular navy ship, the other is suitable for a corsair/pirate.

San Buenaventura from the same PA is also a suitable ship for an earlier time period.

I have both ships. They're quality and properly scaled, but they're older Poser models. Converting them to Iray is required if you don't work in 3dlight.

Edit:

In terms of martinime fantasy like Pirates of The cariibean movies it's hard to beat the aforementioned PW pirate ship Poseidon. It comes with all possible features, including the captain's cabin interior.

Another pirate ship from the same PA: https://www.daz3d.com/pw-customizable-pirate-ship

Licorne and San Buenaventura are my favourite ships for Pirate scenes, but I'll try PW's Poseidon, too. I'ts looking very impressive.Too bad Faveral's Warraok Kitt is for Bryce. It looks great and could make a fine corsair vessel, though it's an 18th century merchant ship. 

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited July 2021

There are a few pirate ships over at Renderosity as well. A couple Frigate-type ships, including a newly Iray'd Poser model that Sveva is a part of. Pamawo/Ansiko has some more historical-ish ships, including a small/handy 2-masted sail-rigged ship (a ketch?) for the pirates... probably corsairs, with the lateen rig for the sails.

Post edited by The Blurst of Times on
    edited July 2021

The Blurst of Times said:

..., including a small/handy 2-masted sail-rigged ship (a ketch?) for the pirates... probably corsairs, with the lateen rig for the sails.

Think you'll find it's a Tartane: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartane  Unlike the single masted specification in the Wikipedia page, a number were twin masted.

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
    edited July 2021

It's a small Latin-rig caravel. Which makes this model perfect to go with San Buenaventura. They're contemporary.

Another usable Poser model for a sailing ship:

https://www.daz3d.com/medusa

https://www.daz3d.com/ghost-ship

Although PW ships still have an advantage of working interiors.