axis rotation of props made in blender are funny

AndroolAndrool Posts: 85

I made a few props in blender for my scene exported one them as an .obj and imported in DS.

It work prety well aint the axis transform who are funny. if I remember well x axis is ok but z rotate is weird. I fixed the problem as it was suposed to be the weapon of my char I just put the hand of g2f on it, parented to the hand and no need of transform as it auto folow the hand.

But that may be more of a problem for other kind of props. I have seen there is some post about import expor for morphing purpose but as its not a morph target and it was made directly in blender I am not sure that will work the same, plus you dont use transformation on morph, so I come to ask if somone know where that probleme come from and how to solv it.

Post edited by Androol on

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Don't import at Blender scale; DAZ Studio's Blender presets are broken as regards their rotation. I use another preset (Poser in my case, which is "small" compared to Blender's scale) and adjust scaling in Blender to make it correct.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,093
    edited December 1969

You can figure out the correct settings to use, then save them as a new preset from the OBJ import dialogue so that you don't have to go through it in future. I don't use Blender so I don't know what is correct.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

You can figure out the correct settings to use, then save them as a new preset from the OBJ import dialogue so that you don't have to go through it in future. I don't use Blender so I don't know what is correct.

<--Or what he said. Always what he said. ;)</p>

• AndroolAndrool Posts: 85
    edited December 1969

thx

I'll try the poser preset and just change the scale if it get the x y z ok by himself.

I m not sure I will have use of the scall saved anyway as I model as it come without taking care of scale in blender, but I keep the tip in case I become more seriouse with my modeling.

edited December 1969

Well after test my error was to use blender preset to import my obj. O_o

No probleme with poser preset and as it dont change anything in the xyz I guess any custom will do as long as I dont touch the xyz settings.

edited January 2015

Typed to fast it's still crasy. The strange thing been, if I use the handle in the viewport it goes well but if I use the handle in the posing>editor panes it goes crazy. if I use the blue rotate handle in the viewport it dont actualy rotate Z but change the value of all the rotation value in the posing >editor panes. Any idea were it come from?

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited January 2015

I use the Lightwave preset as its scale corresponds to Blender's default scale of 1 unit to a metre.This scale is also used to calculate physics in Blender for simulations. If you turn numerics on you will see that a 2 metre cube imported from DS will have a 2 along each edge, and base G2M measures just under 1.8m (or bit under 5'11"). On the other hand, some of the tools in Blender seem to be intended for work on a bigger scale model (e.g. the default area of influence in proportional edit mode is huge on the Lightwave scale), so some people might prefer exporting larger.

As for orientation, the Lightwave preset exports the same as DS (Y up) but Blender's Wavefront OBJ import/export has the default setting -Z forward and Y up which corrects this.

The Blender setting in DS isn't useful, as SickleYield says, as you need to change Blender defaults to use it, and the scale seem arbitrary.

Post edited by Hiro Protagonist on
  • jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

In Blender I use the 1 meter / 1 Blender Unit scale; I export from Blender with the default OBJ options (changing Objects as OBJ groups setting when applicable).

In Studio I import with the Modo settings (Studio Blender profile is buggy, wrong scale, wrong axis translation).

edited December 1969

Well thats very interesting but I dont realy anderstand how your scale setings help me about rotation and axis probleme. Is there some link betwin scale and rotation axis that I am missing ?

edited December 1969

Androol said:
    Well thats very interesting but I dont realy anderstand how your scale setings help me about rotation and axis probleme. Is there some link betwin scale and rotation axis that I am missing ?

Rotation happen around the pivot point; if the pivot point is is some weird place your object will appear to "fly off" when rotated. When you load your mesh, does it come into Studio at the origin? I ask because unfortunately Blender exporter unfortunately ignores actual object pivot and uses always the space origin.

edited January 2015

Yes it load on the floor just where I made it on blender and rotate around his origine as its suposed to.

What let me at a loss is that he rotation work perfectly with the viewport gizmo but using the sliders in the posing>editorpanel dont work the same.

I render inside blender mainly so its not realy a big problem for me but I thoug if the props are ok I will try to share them but it will be a little dificult if the transform dont work normaly

Edit: Blender dont realy ignore the object origine, you just have other option avalaible and it react diferenlxy in edit mode or object mod. In object mod you can use the object origine as the center of rotation, in edit mod it wont work the same.

• millighostmillighost Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Androol said:

No, this has nothing to do with scaling. In the DS's Tool settings pane, use the "Joint editor" tool. With the object selected, You can see the "Rotation Order" in the upper right of the tool settings. Likely it is YXZ (default for import). Only the first axis (the Y) is the axis you can freely rotate around, and where the parameters match the viewport. The other (X and Z) are dependent, which result in all parameters to be changed if you change one in the viewport. You can change the YXZ to something else, in which case some other axis will be independent (but only the first one is independent at any time).
    You can also try out: In DS's tool settings for the Rotation or Universal Manipulator tool set the coordinate space that the screen manipulator uses. Setting it to "Use Local Coordinates (w/local rotations)" would give you a one-to-one match between the posing values and the 3d-view but the coordinate system is no longer orthogonal (which does not make it much easier to use in my opinion).
  • V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,057
    edited December 1969

In blender I often make CRTL + A once object is selected, and select apply rotation and scale.
    Don't know if it can help you.

edited December 1969

Thx for your answear, not sure I anderstand everything but I will try to make use of it.

edited December 1969

Would you please post some pictures showing the "funny-ness"? it is difficult to diagnose the actual problem without seeing it.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited January 2015

I import/export OBJs to and from Blender almost every time I create a scene as I use Blender a lot, and rotations and what-not have have always behaved as expected—unless I simply haven't noticed.

As far as I know an OBJ exported by either Blender or DS doesn't store the origin/centre position—it's at the base of the object's geometry/bounding box when you import it, regardless of where it was in the application when you exported it. (If the object in DS has a full skeleton, however, the origin will be at the world origin when you import into Blender, but that isn't maintained when you export it out again.) I may be wrong, but at least that's what all my tests tell me. You can easily change this in your application (the joint tool editior in DS) if you want the object to rotate from a different point (things like doors spring to mind).

The way an object transforms using the universal tool is by default different to how it transforms using the sliders in Parameters, or at least for some of them. I believe that if you set the universal tool, in the tool settings panel, to use World Co-ordinates (with local rotations) it will work the same as the Parameter sliders.

Of course, an object will appear to rotate "weirdly" if its centre isn't in a useful place. However, you would notice that because the manipulater tool will be in that position. I wouldn't have thought that this is your problem.

Post edited by Hiro Protagonist on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2015

Under the Object menu in Blender there are some tools available to manipulate and change the starting point of an object, this point is the the rotation point. Since Blender does not assume all objects you create should always have that point as the center it needs to be marked as such. If you merge a group of objects the rotation point can change to the rotation point of the last object selected, and if you do a select all it's possible it could be a shape somewhere on the outskirts of your model.

there are multiple of combinations as to how you can define the object center, this is one way.

• In Object Mode place the 3D cursor in or around the point you wish to make the objects center.

• Go to Object> Transform> Origin to 3D cursor

I have seen instances where DS simply does not want to use the object center created in Blender, I should probably look into why but resetting this using the above method appears to right itself in most cases.

Post edited by StratDragon on
    edited December 1969

Thx for your answear. I learned some usfull things in the process.

As I finished the scene I was working on I remade a try at that prop and ... in fact it work fine.

After trying many thing including remodeling it from scratch and retexture it ( was pretty fast as it was only a pencil) I tryed to launch another item ( g2f actualy) to compare how they both rotated to figure out where was the probleme. And they rotate exactly the same way so, obviously, its me who dont anderstand the diferent way to rotate a thing in DS. O_o

Sorry to have bothered you with that.

edited December 1969

Androol said:
    Sorry to have bothered you with that.

Don't even think that. I am glad to you managed to fix the problem (which, unfortunately, often means redoing things from scratch :-/) and gathered knowledge in the process.