Iray vs LuxCore: "Heads to Heads" Blind Comparison

danielbui78danielbui78 Posts: 333
edited August 2021 in Daz Studio Discussion

Both images are 20 minute renders using the exact same scene file, HDRI lighting, models, morphs, textures and shader settings.  Can you spot the differences?  Which one is the Iray Reference?  Which one do you prefer?  Comment and discuss below.  Thanks.

The LuxCore image was produced using the latest alpha version of the open-source Daz to LuxCore Render plugin and custom version of LuxCore Render v2.5.  My goal is to reach 100% visual parity with Iray, then focus on the strengths of LuxCore: free network rendering, pre-tonemapper 32bit HDR image output, offline rendering with resume, real-time 32bit HDR light-group adjustments, OpenCL support, non-Nvidia GPU support, etc.

Links:

Models:  Twosret 8 HD, Victoria 8.1

EDIT: Images re-uploaded with labels.

a.jpg
2560 x 1440 - 345K
b.jpg
2560 x 1440 - 329K
Post edited by danielbui78 on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited August 2021

a is lux render, b is iray, I prefer a

Good job. Maybe soon DAZ 3D will release the beta for DAZ Studio 5 using the new DAZ SDK and QT version and you can upgrade those APIs.

I plan on getting a Ryzen 7 5700H with Radeon Vega 8 GPU integrated by January; your work will put those cores to serious good use.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • danielbui78danielbui78 Posts: 333
    edited August 2021

nonesuch00 said:

Good job. Maybe soon DAZ 3D will release the beta for DAZ Studio 5 using the new DAZ SDK and QT version and you can upgrade those APIs.

I plan on getting a Ryzen 7 5700H with Radeon Vega 8 GPU integrated by January; your work will put those cores to serious good use.

Thanks!  I won't comment on which is which for now, to keep the "blind comparison" thread going a little longer.  However, I will say that I like the greater range of lighting detail in "a", but I also think "b" gives a bolder, dramatic first impression.  An true HDR image displayed on a HDR-capable monitor would hopefully give the best of both.

Regarding DS5 and the new Daz SDK/Qt versions, I look forward to a new official Daz API which officially exposes many of the currently undocumented feature additions and improvements over the years: like dForce simulation, GPU accelleration, etc... but I also feel some dread at the potential growing pains in porting plugins from DS4.5 compliant API to DS5.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

I prefer b, with better shadows and reflections on the eyes.

edited August 2021

danielbui78 said:

nonesuch00 said:

Thanks!  I won't comment on which is which for now, to keep the "blind comparison" thread going a little longer.  However, I will say that I like the greater range of lighting detail in "a", but I also think "b" gives a bolder, dramatic first impression.  An true HDR image displayed on a HDR-capable monitor would hopefully give the best of both.

Regarding DS5 and the new Daz SDK/Qt versions, I look forward to a new official Daz API which officially exposes many of the currently undocumented feature additions and improvements over the years: like dForce simulation, GPU accelleration, etc... but I also feel some dread at the potential growing pains in porting plugins from DS4.5 compliant API to DS5.

I was glad to see your plugin & also your integrated LuxCore renderer in DAZ Studio (more or less, is this how I think DAZ Studio builds a scene to render? DS builts it in shared memory and then hands it over to a child renderer process?) although I think you said that remains unfinished.

Question: Is LuxCore migrating from the LuxCore file format that I am guessing you are exporting to, to USD format?

• Rev2019Rev2019 Posts: 167

B is Iray

higher contrast with greater 3d depth

A looks more like an bad Blender renderer ;)

32 bit pre tonedmapped HDR images right?

if you are planning on doing HDR10 renderers like i do you dont need any pre tonemapped 32bit renderers.

HDR10 renderers looks best if you dont mess around with tonemapping but only use exposure and gamma settings.

edited August 2021

Rev2019 said:

B is Iray

higher contrast with greater 3d depth

A looks more like an bad Blender renderer ;)

32 bit pre tonedmapped HDR images right?

if you are planning on doing HDR10 renderers like i do you dont need any pre tonemapped 32bit renderers.

HDR10 renderers looks best if you dont mess around with tonemapping but only use exposure and gamma settings.

Both images are actually 24-bit-per-pixel (8bit-per-channel), post-tonemapped images which is the only output Iray can do.  To clarify, I was actually talking about luxcore's support for 32bit-per-channel raw HDR image file output, like EXR.  I think HDR10 and other common HDR formats are good for distributing final render images, but my preferred work cycle is to keep render project data in 32bit-per-channel format and resume renders/modify data/tonemap an unlimited number of times as desired to produce new final renderes ready for distribution, like in HDR10.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

I like B cause I like a little extra contrast in my images.  I also like the reflection in the eyes more.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I have no idea which is which but I prefer "a" because of the skin SSS. Looking at the nose tip, for example, I get the impression of skin. I'm not sure how you would compare the two engines if the settings aren't directly equivalent.

edited August 2021

Thanks for everyone's participation and comments so far!  It seems the majority opinion is that they prefer the higher contrast (aka stronger highlights, darker shadows) in image "b".  A few went further to point out that image "b" had more detailed eye reflections.  All very good points, thanks!

marble said:

I have no idea which is which but I prefer "a" because of the skin SSS. Looking at the nose tip, for example, I get the impression of skin. I'm not sure how you would compare the two engines if the settings aren't directly equivalent.

Agreed: it's difficult to compare the two engines directly (aka "head to head"), so this is only a proxy-comparison using the output from the Daz to Iray Plugin vs the output from the Daz to LuxCore Plugin.  Both are using the same exact project file, settings and source images.  I am just clicking the Engine drop down and switching between "NVIDIA Iray" and "yaluxplug Render", in the DazStudio Render Settings pane.  Both render engines were set to 20 minutes of render time and both were allowed to automatically stop when time was completed.  I apoogize for the "Heads to Heads" pun in the title, since this could be confused for "head to head".

And thanks for bringing up SSS!  I agree that SSS (Sub-Surface Scattering) is really important in making renders of human skin look life-like, and not look like a wax replica or a painted statue.  Of course, too much SSS can make renders look like there are no underlying bones or muscles, just 100% glowing skin and subcutaneous fat. 

In my opinion, other important components for life-like skin are: oily highlights, skin pores, and bumps/ridges which accurately conform to anatomical skin tension lines (Langer's lines).  And all those oily highlights, pores, bumps and ridges need to properly express SSS in life-like ways.  Example: a few screenshots for Daz HD models show close-up of the skin texture to advertise the detail... but they fail to reproduce how the real-world behavior of light reflecting/transmitting/scattering through these skin bumps and ridges is different from the flatter parts of the skin.  For example: some bumps/blemishes may be filled with higher density collagen content and less water or fat content, which may decrease transmission and increase scattering.  If these properties aren't reproduced, the visual effect of the skin bump looks like it's a caked on clump of makeup or excessive use of foundation/concealer.  There are many academic papers discussing reproduction of skin using biologically based models based on real human skin.  However, I'm not aware of any projects which take this a step further to accurately render scars, burns, acne, psoriasis, moles, freckles, cancers, etc. using their histological/pathological characteristics which have been well-known and documented with light microscopy and spectrometry for many decades.

Now a plot twist....

So far, many people have pointed out the differences and why they feel one is better than the other.  However, no one yet has explicitly commented on their similarities or why they differ in the ways they do.  Thanks to marble for bringing up SSS, I am now posting a new twist: both images are re-rendered with just one single change: SSS/Translucency is disabled. 

Now which is which?  How are they different from each other?  How are they different from their previous renders with SSS/Translucency enabled?  Which do you prefer?  Comment, discuss, enjoy.  Thanks!

EDIT: Images re-uploaded with labels, sorry for the confusion!

a.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 365K
    b.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 372K
    edited August 2021

danielbui78 said:

Thanks for everyone's participation and comments so far!  It seems the majority opinion is that they prefer the higher contrast (aka stronger highlights, darker shadows) in image "b".  A few went further to point out that image "b" had more detailed eye reflections.  All very good points, thanks!

marble said:

Agreed: it's difficult to compare the two engines directly (aka "head to head"), so this is only a proxy-comparison using the output from the Daz to Iray Plugin vs the output from the Daz to LuxCore Plugin.  Both are using the same exact project file, settings and source images.  I am just clicking the Engine drop down and switching between "NVIDIA Iray" and "yaluxplug Render", in the DazStudio Render Settings pane.  Both render engines were set to 20 minutes of render time and both were allowed to automatically stop when time was completed.  I apoogize for the "Heads to Heads" pun in the title, since this could be confused for "head to head".

And thanks for bringing up SSS!  I agree that SSS (Sub-Surface Scattering) is really important in making renders of human skin look life-like, and not look like a wax replica or a painted statue.  Of course, too much SSS can make renders look like there are no underlying bones or muscles, just 100% glowing skin and subcutaneous fat. 

In my opinion, other important components for life-like skin are: oily highlights, skin pores, and bumps/ridges which accurately conform to anatomical skin tension lines (Langer's lines).  And all those oily highlights, pores, bumps and ridges need to properly express SSS in life-like ways.  Example: a few screenshots for Daz HD models show close-up of the skin texture to advertise the detail... but they fail to reproduce how the real-world behavior of light reflecting/transmitting/scattering through these skin bumps and ridges is different from the flatter parts of the skin.  For example: some bumps/blemishes may be filled with higher density collagen content and less water or fat content, which may decrease transmission and increase scattering.  If these properties aren't reproduced, the visual effect of the skin bump looks like it's a caked on clump of makeup or excessive use of foundation/concealer.  There are many academic papers discussing reproduction of skin using biologically based models based on real human skin.  However, I'm not aware of any projects which take this a step further to accurately render scars, burns, acne, psoriasis, moles, freckles, cancers, etc. using their histological/pathological characteristics which have been well-known and documented with light microscopy and spectrometry for many decades.

Now a plot twist....

So far, many people have pointed out the differences and why they feel one is better than the other.  However, no one yet has explicitly commented on their similarities or why they differ in the ways they do.  Thanks to marble for bringing up SSS, I am now posting a new twist: both images are re-rendered with just one single change: SSS/Translucency is disabled.  Now which is which?  How are they different from each other?  How are they different from their previous renders with SSS/Translucency enabled?  Which do you prefer?  Comment, discuss, enjoy.  Thanks!

I prefer (a), which I also believe to be LuxCore. Although the eyes and skin in the iRay might have more detail then in the LuxCore; for me the net effect of the iRay render seems like diffuse lighting is missing or artificially tamped down to lower values. 

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2021
    Looks like a and b have swapped. Now a has the eye reflections.
    Post edited by prixat on

Once again I prefer "a" even though it has been suggested that the order has been switched.

The reason this time (without SSS) is that  "a" looks more natural for skin. Somehow the details of the creases and pores look softer and more skin-like. By comparison, "b" looks harsh, like painted plaster or stone. Also, that harshness affects the specularity so that "a" looks to have a more natural sheen than "b". The harshness shows, in particular, on the lips. Also compare shadow of the jaw line on each - "b" is severe by comparison although that might be more to do with how the render engine handles reflected light.

edited August 2021

Thanks for everyone's participation!  I'm really enjoying your opinions and explanations.  I decided to re-upload the images with "A" and "B" labels printed directly on the images.  I kept confusing which was "a" and which was "b" because my browser likes to insert new tabs into the middle of the tab bar rather than intuitively putting them at the end of the queue, hehe.  Based on some of the descriptions for "a" and "b", I think some of you may have been having the same problem.  Hopefully this will help avoid any further confusion.

Also, FYI: New alpha version of yaluxplug and custom luxcorerender have been released.  Get them here:

danielbui78 said:

Thanks for everyone's participation!  I'm really enjoying your opinions and explanations.  I decided to re-upload the images with "A" and "B" labels printed directly on the images.  I kept confusing which was "a" and which was "b" because my browser likes to insert new tabs into the middle of the tab bar rather than intuitively putting them at the end of the queue, hehe.  Based on some of the descriptions for "a" and "b", I think some of you may have been having the same problem.  Hopefully this will help avoid any further confusion.

Also, FYI: New alpha version of yaluxplug and custom luxcorerender have been released.  Get them here:

OK, I still like A & I still think A is LuxCore.

danielbui78 said:

Ok - so tell us already. :) 

edited August 2021

marble said:

Hehe, sorry for keeping everyone in suspense!  Here is the reveal....

Set 1:

• A is LuxCore (via yaluxplug Daz To LuxCore plugin)
    • B is Iray

Set 2:

• A is Iray
    • B is LuxCore (via yaluxplug Daz To LuxCore plugin)

As was pointed out, some of the things present in the Iray reference that was not in the LuxCore image were:

• sharper contrast with brighter highlights and darker shadows,
    • more detailed eye reflections,
    • subtle shadows in the jaw line and other angled edges,
    • less SSS strength.

And here are a few addiional things that some people might have missed:

• the background images are exactly the same, pixel for pixel, in Set 1 - image A and Set 2 - image B, and vice versa for Set 1-B and Set 2-A. 
    • The Iray backgrounds have bright areas that are so bright that they lose detail when compared to the LuxCore backgrounds. 
    • In the Iray images, the shadows around the ears are a little darker than would be expected based on the brightness of the background IBL lighting and intensity of the light bouncing off the highlighted skin. 
    • Victoria 8.1's eyelashes, eyebrows and lips in the Iray renders have extra specular highlights not seen in the LuxCore renders. 
    • The far, curved edge of Victoria 8.1's cornea/irises are much darker in the Iray renders than in the LuxCore renders. 
    • In Set 1 - Image A (LuxCore), the specular highlights on Twosret's face seem unatural, strongly textured and reflecting back up rather than diffusing into the skin, while in Set 1 - Image B (Iray) the specular highlights on Twosret's face seem like they are hitting a relatively flat surface and naturally diffusing deeper into skin.

In my opinion, the brighter hightlights and darker shadows in the Iray renders are due to an additional non-linear tonemapping step that is not implemented by the yaluxplug plugin yet: “burn highlights” and “crush shadows”. Readers familiar with photoshop post-processing are probably well aware of these operations. However, the one advantage you can get from using Iray to do those steps is that they are done while the image is still in its internal HDR 32bits-per-pixel format. So there is no loss of image detail.

I think the subtle shadows on the jaw line and on surfaces that are at sharp angles to the camera are created by the TopCoat rendering phase. When viewed directly on, you don’t notice this TopCoat layer because it is so thin, but at an angle, you start seeing the TopCoat layer, especially on Victoria 8.1, as subtle shadows. This is also not implemented in yaluxplug yet.

Glossy Anisotropy, Refractions and Dual Lobe Specular rendering are other areas that need more work in the yaluxplug plugin.

As for most of the other differences, yaluxplug is not yet fully tuned so that the Iray parameters are converted to the proper LuxCore parameters to produce an identical visual result. I need to go back and tweak the roughness values, bump map strengths, SSS strengths, and specular strengths.

I’ll conclude my ramblings with these final thoughts: In my opinion, Iray and LuxCore are both really good physically based renderers. Both are capable of making very good renders, whether you think that means images with high contrast lighting or a wide range of color and luminance details. The brush is only good as the artist who wields it. 

Two final renders for you:

• The first is a custom Iray render with "burn shadows" turned down to zero.  IMHO, this makes the image look more visually appealing -- it adds greater range and depth of detail in the shadows while retaining the dramatic strong lighting. 
    • The second custom render was done by manually adding/modifying about 6 lines in the native LuxCore scene files that are outputted by the yaluxplug plugin.  I tweaked the Cornea roughness and transparency to get better eye reflections.  I also added 4 lines to generate the missing non-linear tonemapping stage to increase brightness and burn in the highlights.  Bumpmapping strength was adjusted down in Twosret's face and up in her lips.  A few other things that can't be easily done by modifying a few lines are: TopCoat rendering, adjusting SSS strength for all materials, tweaking the dual lobe specular rendering mask.  In the future, I'll incorporate all these tweaks into yaluxplug so that the renders look more appealing without additional user involvement.

Thanks again for everyone's involvement and participation!

Custom Iray.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 230K
    Custom yaluxplug+LuxCore.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 315K

I have just realised that I might have fallen into the browser tab order trap that you mentioned earlier so I'm not sure that I got my a & b correct but I hope that it was obvious from my descriptions (better SSS or jaw line shadow) which I was talking about. I opened these two images in two tabs and realised that the second was inserted before the first and not after it. 

Anywhow, with these two renders, the jaw line shadow (light skinned model) is still more pronounced in one than the other yet the contrast is oddly less pronounced in that image so each image has features that look better than the other. I wouldn't know which is better but both are pretty good. I don't do many close-ups so either engine would be good enough for me.

danielbui78 said:

marble said:

Hehe, sorry for keeping everyone in suspense!  Here is the reveal....

Set 1:

• A is LuxCore (via yaluxplug Daz To LuxCore plugin)
    • B is Iray

Set 2:

• A is Iray
    • B is LuxCore (via yaluxplug Daz To LuxCore plugin)

As was pointed out, some of the things present in the Iray reference that was not in the LuxCore image were:

• sharper contrast with brighter highlights and darker shadows,
    • more detailed eye reflections,
    • subtle shadows in the jaw line and other angled edges,
    • less SSS strength.

And here are a few addiional things that some people might have missed:

• the background images are exactly the same, pixel for pixel, in Set 1 - image A and Set 2 - image B, and vice versa for Set 1-B and Set 2-A. 
    • The Iray backgrounds have bright areas that are so bright that they lose detail when compared to the LuxCore backgrounds. 
    • In the Iray images, the shadows around the ears are a little darker than would be expected based on the brightness of the background IBL lighting and intensity of the light bouncing off the highlighted skin. 
    • Victoria 8.1's eyelashes, eyebrows and lips in the Iray renders have extra specular highlights not seen in the LuxCore renders. 
    • The far, curved edge of Victoria 8.1's cornea/irises are much darker in the Iray renders than in the LuxCore renders. 
    • In Set 1 - Image A (LuxCore), the specular highlights on Twosret's face seem unatural, strongly textured and reflecting back up rather than diffusing into the skin, while in Set 1 - Image B (Iray) the specular highlights on Twosret's face seem like they are hitting a relatively flat surface and naturally diffusing deeper into skin.

In my opinion, the brighter hightlights and darker shadows in the Iray renders are due to an additional non-linear tonemapping step that is not implemented by the yaluxplug plugin yet: “burn highlights” and “crush shadows”. Readers familiar with photoshop post-processing are probably well aware of these operations. However, the one advantage you can get from using Iray to do those steps is that they are done while the image is still in its internal HDR 32bits-per-pixel format. So there is no loss of image detail.

I think the subtle shadows on the jaw line and on surfaces that are at sharp angles to the camera are created by the TopCoat rendering phase. When viewed directly on, you don’t notice this TopCoat layer because it is so thin, but at an angle, you start seeing the TopCoat layer, especially on Victoria 8.1, as subtle shadows. This is also not implemented in yaluxplug yet.

Glossy Anisotropy, Refractions and Dual Lobe Specular rendering are other areas that need more work in the yaluxplug plugin.

As for most of the other differences, yaluxplug is not yet fully tuned so that the Iray parameters are converted to the proper LuxCore parameters to produce an identical visual result. I need to go back and tweak the roughness values, bump map strengths, SSS strengths, and specular strengths.

I’ll conclude my ramblings with these final thoughts: In my opinion, Iray and LuxCore are both really good physically based renderers. Both are capable of making very good renders, whether you think that means images with high contrast lighting or a wide range of color and luminance details. The brush is only good as the artist who wields it. 

Two final renders for you:

• The first is a custom Iray render with "burn shadows" turned down to zero.  IMHO, this makes the image look more visually appealing -- it adds greater range and depth of detail in the shadows while retaining the dramatic strong lighting. 
    • The second custom render was done by manually adding/modifying about 6 lines in the native LuxCore scene files that are outputted by the yaluxplug plugin.  I tweaked the Cornea roughness and transparency to get better eye reflections.  I also added 4 lines to generate the missing non-linear tonemapping stage to increase brightness and burn in the highlights.  Bumpmapping strength was adjusted down in Twosret's face and up in her lips.  A few other things that can't be easily done by modifying a few lines are: TopCoat rendering, adjusting SSS strength for all materials, tweaking the dual lobe specular rendering mask.  In the future, I'll incorporate all these tweaks into yaluxplug so that the renders look more appealing without additional user involvement.

Thanks again for everyone's involvement and participation!

Looks awesome. Would be great to see the LuxCore look like that particular iRay render.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited August 2021

...would like to see a side by side comparison of a wide shot oustide environment scene using both of the render engines' "Sun/Sky" mode instead of an HDRI. 

...looked at the site and while I like some of the features (particularly out of core rendering and random tiling) I have one concern.  It mentions that for Nvidia GPUs, V. 2.5  supports OptiX for RTX cards. Will this force it on older non-RTX cards like the current version of Iray does?  Also wondering so you have to convert materials for rendering (like old LuxRender through the Reality plugin used to require)?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • gederixgederix Posts: 390

This is awesome, as a diehard Reality user dreading the day the authentification server goes offline I am extremely interested in what you are doing. 

• nonesuch00 said:

Looks awesome. Would be great to see the LuxCore look like that particular iRay render.

Yep, that's the goal! smiley  With each update of yaluxplug plugin, the LuxCore render is getting closer and closer to identical to Iray.  Even with the latest version, I get confused and have to check which render engine is selected half of the time.

kyoto kid said:

...would like to see a side by side comparison of a wide shot oustide environment scene using both of the render engines' "Sun/Sky" mode instead of an HDRI. 

Yes, agreed - a physical sun/sky comparison would be interesting.  Currently, I don't think the sun/sky features of Iray are accessible from DazStudio.  For yaluxplug, naming any Daz light as "sun" or "sky" is enough to trigger the plugin to replace it with the corresponding LuxCore sun/sky components, and also transfers the translation/rotation properties from the Daz Light over to LuxCore's sun/sky.

...looked at the site and while I like some of the features (particularly out of core rendering and random tiling) I have one concern.  It mentions that for Nvidia GPUs, V. 2.5  supports OptiX for RTX cards. Will this force it on older non-RTX cards like the current version of Iray does?

You'll have to ask on the LuxCore forums for future plans for Optix and RTX.  As far as I know, automatic enabling of Optix is only a behavior in the Blender LuxCore plugin.  Yaluxplug talks directly to LuxCore and as long as the API supports it, I'll try to make sure non-Optix pathway is available.  Also, there is an option in the advanced render settings where you can type in the exact render engine settings you want yaluxplug to send to LuxCore.

Also wondering so you have to convert materials for rendering (like old LuxRender through the Reality plugin used to require)?

No.  yaluxplug is a native DazStudio render plugin and is designed to read in IrayUber and PBRSkin shader settings and scale/convert them to the proper LuxCore settings.  This works because both Iray and LuxCore natively use physically based rendering, so in most cases it is just a matter of converting to the proper units and scale.  Almost all of the mathematical formulas are equivalent, since they are all based on the real-world physics of light (hence the term "physically based renderer").  Switching to and rendering with yaluxplug is like switching from Iray to 3Delight, just 3 clicks to get from the Iray rendered image to the LuxCore rendered image: (1) one click to select the drop down menu for render engine, (2) second click to select the desired engine, (3) third click on the Render button to start the render.

In many ways, Reality (and Paolo) and also Luxus were ahead of their time.  Reality was designed to convert materials and settings from a non-physically based renderer (3Delight) to a physically based one.  Since the mathematical formulas to calculate the renders were so different, Reality had to create a huge database with custom render settings for each material/model/texture.  By contrast, converting from Iray to LuxCore is more like converting inches to centimeters or Celsius to Fahrenheit.  I do have some support for 3Delight shaders and materials in yaluxplug, but you can also use the Conversion Plugin which converts 3Delight to Iray to create materials that will be compatible with yaluxplug/LuxCore.

gederix said:

This is awesome, as a diehard Reality user dreading the day the authentification server goes offline I am extremely interested in what you are doing. 

Once I have Iray compatibility working more smoothly, I will actually go back and implement all the Reality plugin features, and the same goes with Luxus.  That way, all your custom Reality scene files with Reality lighting and materials will hopefully work seamlessly with yaluxplug.  I will also re-enable classic luxrender support too (my old luxrender code is still there, but I just haven't refactored it to be compatible with the new C++ class tree I'm using with LuxCore).

edited August 2021

...actually in Iray there is a Sun/Sky setting that is a part of the integration into the Daz programme.  it offers two options, one based on time, date, and latitude/lognitude and another that uses what is called the "sun chain" which allows the user to manually set the sun altitude and azimuth. I use the latter. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited August 2021

kyoto kid said:

...actually in Iray there is a Sun/Sky setting that is a part of the integration into the Daz programme.  it offers two options, one based on time, date, and latitude/lognitude and another that uses what is called the "sun chain" which allows the user to manually set the sun altitude and azimuth. I use the latter. 

That's really awesome!  Please post instructions and screenshots on how to find and set those parameters, because I've not been able to find anything to do that.  Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, found them!  FYI, it is in the Parameters Pane when you select the "Environment Options" node.  Then click "Environment Mode" drop down and there will be the "Sun-Sky Only" option.  Selecting this will unhide all the Sun-Sky options.  I probably should just keep "Show Hidden Properties" permanently on to avoid this kind of embarrassment and days/weeks of effort searching for options. lol

I'll put Iray Sun-Sky conversion to LuxCore on my todo list, but right now, my project priority queue is packed full for the next 1-2 months....

...will do so tomorrow, getting late here and need to turn in.

• Hi,

I found Your project just now.

Nice !!!

I have a question. Lights is not implemented yet ? Only distance light ? Because the spot light not working on the rendered image.

Thank You.

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

Just stumbled across this - it looks really promising.

Only issues I see with the render comparisons previously posted (at a cursory glance) is that the LuxCore noses are very translucent - I wonder if the transmit and/or scattering distances are being translated correctly? That will also explain the less pronounced jaw shadow. The iray version looks more accurate - the light should just be peeling around the edges - not illuminating the entire interior. That said, I do like the irises - much brighter and lively compared to iray. 

I look forward to having a play with it when time allows!