edited December 1969 in The Commons

only a couple feet o' snow :)

lotsa snowcones

150125a.jpg
626 x 468 - 100K

Comments

• cdemeritcdemerit Posts: 505
    edited December 1969

I live where the a & n in portland meet the red dash.... I'm not worried, we've had worse.

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794
    edited December 1969

I live in the NYC/NJ area and I think, after Saturday's snow storm, I've had enough of it this winter. Granted with the rain having come out Saturday afternoon, the bulk of the snow have more or less dissipated, there are still some covering the edges of the side walk, so it's not pretty bad, especially since it took place during the weekend. I dread weekday snow storms because it makes the commute a hassle. I really do hope it wont be much.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,033
    edited January 2015

Yeah, I had to go get a couple of non-blizzard related items today and it was complete mayhem at Target and Walmart... People are shopping like they will be snowed in for months.
    The only problem is they are only buying really stupid things, which if there were some sort of prolonged power outages, they wouldn't really need... Potato chips, salad dressing, cookies, milk, soda... You would think people would get stuff like water, canned goods, bread... Nope, for some reason apparently people need bacon-ranch dressing and pudding in an emergency.
    And ice cream... Who needs ice cream when they are freezing to death?
    People who shop in such a mindset also have absolutely NO idea what personal space is either...
    I really am not big on strangers leaning on me or standing on my toes...
    You've probably heard that old say "they were like two cats in a bag".... Okay, now take the bag and shake it up, then take both the cats out of the bag and stuff them into that teleportation machine from "The Fly" set it to "combine", so you end up with one bigger, madder cat and before you let uber cat out, tip over the teleporter so he's even more mad and uncomfortable...
    Thats sorta how I was... only wearing clothes and pushing a shopping cart... Though, if you put clothes on that angry uber cat and forced him to push around a broken shopping cart, that would definitely be a closer approximation.
    I kneel down to get something lower shelf and instantly there is someone standing on top of me so I can't get up with out touching them.
    I wanna stand up real quick and bite them in the face...
    I know that behavior is sort of frowned upon in polite society, but really I think there should be a few exceptions.
    The best part is every time that happens and I stand up, I bump into them and they are surprised...
    They are surprised I could stand? They thought I was gonna climb into the lower shelf to nap? They thought I was really short? Maybe I was a statue of a guy reading a price tag on a low shelf?
    What do they think is going on down there that they can hover over me and not get bumped into.
    Okay, I'm not expecting an answer to that nor am I hoping people will support my primal face biting response...
    Openly...
    Admit it though... There have been at least thee incidents in the past several months where you have felt someone could have used a good nip on the nose... Just to make your point clear... Nothing too Mike Tysonish...
    Okay, never mind...

Sorry, I digressed there...
    Snow... Yeah, it's coming... If you listen to News 12 Long Island, it'll be between 18 inches and two feet...
    So...
    PANIC!!
    ITS THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT!!
    BUY AS MANY D CELL BATTERIES AS YOU CAN HOARD, EVEN THOUGH NOTHING BUT INDUSTRIAL GRADE VIBRATORS RUN ON D BATTERIES ANYMORE!!
    BUY AT LEAST SEVEN OR MORE SNOW SHOVELS AND AT LEAST ONE HUNDRED POUNDS OF ROAD SALT, EVEN IF YOU ALREADY OWN TWELVE OR MORE SHOVELS AND LIVE IN AN APARTMENT!!!
    ITS THE BIG ONE BOYS AND GIRLS AND THIS COULD BE IT!!
    AAAAAAAAAH!

Nope I'm not looking forward to it, but I figure at least my kids might enjoy snow... they sorta missed out on any good snow so far this season and there haven't been any really good accidents at the four way stop sign down the block (apparently its a common urban myth that at a four way stop at least one of the four stop signs cancels the rest out and nobody has to stop), so I think they are probably looking forward to a lot of snow and assorted car parts.

Well, to everyone who is gonna be out there when this happens... Please drive safely, stay alert, get home safely and don't lean over me if you come across me picking up an extension cord from a low shelf in Target.

Safety first!

Post edited by McGyver on
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited January 2015

Yea, I got the message from Gray ME. Looks like an 'interesting' one. lots of snow, windchill, and the alike is possible.

My advice (and not just mine alone), If you don't need to be out and about, stay safe dry and worm, out of the mess.
    (EDIT)
    Agreed, nothing is more upsetting to me, then loosing power, because some idiot just had to go out in this sort of stuff, and take out a telephone poll (or a few).

StormTotalSnowFcst_20150125_001.png
    800 x 1128 - 62K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited January 2015

did my emergency shopping, oops, forgot the D batteries :)

stopped at the laundry mat for a few hours. so if i get snowed in i haz clean pajamas provisions.

if the power goes, fresh strawberries and pineapple, and keebler cookies to keep me from starving.
    oh, and bacardi, vodka, jcuervo.

Gusts: 69 mph
    Wind whipped snow, 4-8"; storm total snowfall 12-18 inches; coastal flooding can occur
    RealFeel® -1

Wind whipped snow? never heard it phrased like that before :lol:

150125.jpg
    660 x 412 - 98K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,318
    edited December 1969

@ lordvicore: You have always seemed to me to be a man of clear vision but in your comments above you seem to be surprised that people are stupid!

A person can be smart. Very few of them though. But for people in groups, the smarts are inversely proportional to any number of factors.

Most people reach their peak of smarts just after they learn that the danglies above their head in the crib will move if they are pushed. After that their minds begin to solidify, and future behavior is controlled by TV, traditions, fashion, greed and fear.

If there hasn't been a popular soap opera that deals with blizzards in the last week, don't expect the hoards to behave in any civilized manner. But if there was such a soap opera be very very suspicious of the education it imparted.

I however, will sit out this current blizzard relatively safe and totally insane, here south of Buffalo and outside of the projected storm path. And besides, the Buffalo area went through a 7 foot blizzard just last month. So enjoy your 3 foot flurry.

edited December 1969

3 foot flurry :lol:

edited December 1969

Yeah, I had to go get a couple of non-blizzard related items today and it was complete mayhem at Target and Walmart... People are shopping like they will be snowed in for months.
    The only problem is they are only buying really stupid things, which if there were some sort of prolonged power outages, they wouldn't really need... Potato chips, salad dressing, cookies, milk, soda... You would think people would get stuff like water, canned goods, bread... Nope, for some reason apparently people need bacon-ranch dressing and pudding in an emergency.
    People who shop in such a mindset also have absolutely NO idea what personal space is either...
    You've probably heard that old say "they were like two cats in a bag".... Okay, now take the bag and shake it up, then take both the cats out of the bag and stuff them into that teleportation machine from "The Fly" set it to "combine", so you end up with one bigger, madder cat and before you let uber cat out, tip over the teleporter so he's even more mad and uncomfortable...
    Thats sorta how I was... only wearing clothes and pushing a shopping cart... Though, if you put clothes on that angry uber cat and forced him to push around a broken shopping cart, that would definitely be a closer approximation.
    I kneel down to get something lower shelf and instantly there is someone standing on top of me so I can't get up with out touching them.
    I know that behavior is sort of frowned upon in polite society, but really I think there should be a few exceptions.
    The best part is every time that happens and I stand up, I bump into them and they are surprised...
    They are surprised I could stand? They thought I was gonna climb into the lower shelf to nap? They thought I was really short? Maybe I was a statue of a guy reading a price tag on a low shelf?
    What do they think is going on down there that they can hover over me and not get bumped into.
    Okay, I'm not expecting an answer to that nor am I hoping people will support my primal face biting response...
    Openly...
    Admit it though... There have been at least thee incidents in the past several months where you have felt someone could have used a good nip on the nose... Just to make your point clear... Nothing too Mike Tysonish...
    Okay, never mind...

Sounds like shopping at MarketBasket on any given Sunday... I love the store, hate the customers...

edited December 1969

Yea, I got the message from Gray ME. Looks like an 'interesting' one. lots of snow, windchill, and the alike is possible.

My advice (and not just mine alone), If you don't need to be out and about, stay safe dry and worm, out of the mess.
    (EDIT)
    Agreed, nothing is more upsetting to me, then loosing power, because some idiot just had to go out in this sort of stuff, and take out a telephone poll (or a few).

So are you tequila? 'cus that's the only way I know to "Stay safe dry and WORM"

(sorry had to say it)
    Well power failure is expected in my location and planned for. Huzzah for generators. fire that puppy up, and back to the internet....

(15 years, lost power for more than a day 10 times, loss of cable 1 time) anywho, it's gonna be a hoot.

edited December 1969

did my emergency shopping, oops, forgot the D batteries :)

stopped at the laundry mat for a few hours. so if i get snowed in i haz clean pajamas provisions.

if the power goes, fresh strawberries and pineapple, and keebler cookies to keep me from starving.
    oh, and bacardi, vodka, jcuervo.

Gusts: 69 mph
    Wind whipped snow, 4-8"; storm total snowfall 12-18 inches; coastal flooding can occur
    RealFeel® -1

Wind whipped snow? never heard it phrased like that before :lol: lol. Think sand dunes, and/or sandstorm (not as extreme with snow). so basically Snow drifts, and lots of near-horizontal light fluffy snow. >Posibly<</p>

remember, it's some time out, and it is still a best guess. It is not certain impending doom. lol.

* Potential for blizzard conditions: There exists some potential for near-blizzard or blizzard conditions along the coast during the height of the storm on Tuesday. This is mainly due to the combination of heavy falling snow (fluffy in nature) that will be blown around easily by the wind. Confidence is not high enough to issue a blizzard watch at this time, but the potential will continue to be monitored closely over the next couple of shifts.

edited January 2015

cdemerit, lol. no, tho it would be nice to be able to plan to stay home and have a drink once in a rare while, lol. It's New England, we get it all. Hurricanes, tornadoes, Earthquakes, Avalanches, etc.

If we, a band of sugar fellows can invent rum as an ingenious solution to a horrible syrup surplus. Then certainly you can stay home out of the storm, so the likes of ZDG don't have to brave the elements to rescue you from your bottom-shelf thinking.
    :lol:

edited December 1969

:lol: well, tequila on standby - Buster Poindexter Hot Hot Hot

edited December 1969

:lol: well, tequila on standby - Buster Poindexter Hot Hot Hot
    That's the best way to go about it. There is a big difference between "Being Prepared" for a 'Forecast', And 'Planing' your life based on assuming it is going to happen exactly that way and no other way is possible.
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

cdemerit said:
    Openly...
    Okay, never mind...

Sounds like shopping at MarketBasket on any given Sunday... I love the store, hate the customers...

I can admit it without any pause. One of my "getting to know you" questions I sometimes offer people when first meeting is; "If you could give one celebrity a good smack across the face who would it be, Kim Kardashian, Shia Debouf, Miley Cirus, or someone else?" I've found that lots of people want to slap Kim Kardashian and Miley Cyrus. Several really want to smack Taylor Swift and Nikki Minaj. Personally I'd like to press a palm against Kanye's face, and maybe even Justin Bieber would benefit from some contact.

Fun to image such things...no?

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

Yep, already went food shopping! :)

Happy Blizzard Eve, fellow New Englanders!

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I'm missing this one thankfully, but in '78 I was in central Jersey for a 24 incher. And again in '83 for both an 18 incher and a 24. The 24 was the most fun because I shoveled the driveway in preparation for ex's homecoming--but he got stuck in NYC. It blew all night and the next day I had to shovel it again.

BTW, I picked up a couple of little lanterns from Amazon because we're plagued with outages here (usually lightning related but sometimes ice) and they both take D batteries. Love the little things they're very powerful and useful.

Also an AM/FM/NOAA crank radio. Comes in handy but I don't know which is more boring: having no word from the outside world or sitting there cranking the thing.

Good luck everyone and hope you get through this fine. We're just getting rain tonite, tomorrow, and maybe a little snow when the backend sweeps through.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2015

I'll be watching this on Facebook as I'm outside grilling steaks in a t-shirt and shorts.
    Sometimes I miss living on LI and then I remember the days when a wet leaf would fall on a power line and LILCO/LIPA would take 72 hours to restore power to 7 million residents.
    Stay warm and dry y'all.

Post edited by StratDragon on
    edited December 1969

I'll be watching this on Facebook as I'm outside grilling steaks in a t-shirt and shorts.
    Sometimes I miss living on LI and then I remember the days when a wet leaf would fall on a power line and LILCO/LIPA would take 72 hours to restore power to 7 million residents.
    Stay warm and dry y'all.

LOL.. you southeners are funny. I was coming back from a trip to AZ back in 1999 on a greyhound bus, when a ice storm shut down the most of southeast highways for 3 days. spending 24 hrs at a Littlerock, Arkansas bus station was oh so much fun. a couple other passengers on the bus with myself were from the Northeast. we just looked at each other, as this "Major Ice Storm" would have barely slowed traffic down back home. it was a wet drizzle. but if you don't know how to drive in it, it can be bad. Still, it's good for a chuckle.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,033
    edited December 1969

Stay warm and dry y'all.

LIPA... Grrrrrrr.... Over on the North Shore, in Huntington there are still trees with 8"-1' limbs with the power lines centered in them... PSEG is slowly fixing all the years of neglect that LIPA allowed.
    I really hope that we don't lose power.
    During Sandy we had no power for a week, but other neighborhoods nearby went almost three weeks before restoration of services.
    Never mind other towns which had sections that went six months before they were "mostly" restored... And this was all due to localized wind gusts, not sustained hurricane force winds spread over a wide area.
    So far PSEG has been much better than LIPA in management and maintenance.
    But, still much of the neglected infrastructure remains... Hopefully, the snow will stay powdery and not weigh down lines or tree limbs and the stuff waiting for replacement will make through.
    So far there is just a 1/4 inch coating here...
    The National Red Cross is recommending that everyone stay indoors, and if you go out, dress in lightweight layers and bring kitty litter with you... I suppose that is in case one gets hungry or their team of sled cats need to take a potty break...?
    I wonder how many cats it takes to pull a sled.
    This could be a neat experiment to try out after the blizzard.
    Well, stay safe folks.
    edited January 2015

The number of cats depends on the size of the cats.

If you travel with one of these you don't need a car. But some more clothes would probably be advised.

The smart thing to do is stay off the road but if you have to be out in the storm, preparation for your car is important. Make sure your gas tank is full in case you get stuck on the NYS Thruway for a day or two (not uncommon lately) Make sure you have a blanket or two. Emergency medicines if you need them. Some snacks like crackers too. I'm amused by the people who suggest having water in the car too. Sure it helps until it becomes a brick. And if you die of thirst while sitting in snow, shame on you. Your smarts obviously withered after learning about the danglies above your crib. Thank you for exiting the gene pool.

He-mancat2.jpg
    600 x 364 - 31K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

bacardi doesn't freeze into a brick, does it? :panicattack:

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Stay warm and dry y'all.

LIPA... Grrrrrrr.... Over on the North Shore, in Huntington there are still trees with 8"-1' limbs with the power lines centered in them... PSEG is slowly fixing all the years of neglect that LIPA allowed.
    I really hope that we don't lose power.
    During Sandy we had no power for a week, but other neighborhoods nearby went almost three weeks before restoration of services.
    Never mind other towns which had sections that went six months before they were "mostly" restored... And this was all due to localized wind gusts, not sustained hurricane force winds spread over a wide area.
    So far PSEG has been much better than LIPA in management and maintenance.
    But, still much of the neglected infrastructure remains... Hopefully, the snow will stay powdery and not weigh down lines or tree limbs and the stuff waiting for replacement will make through.
    So far there is just a 1/4 inch coating here...
    The National Red Cross is recommending that everyone stay indoors, and if you go out, dress in lightweight layers and bring kitty litter with you... I suppose that is in case one gets hungry or their team of sled cats need to take a potty break...?
    I wonder how many cats it takes to pull a sled.
    This could be a neat experiment to try out after the blizzard.
    Well, stay safe folks.

last time I was in Huntington and it was bad weather I was lifting a fallen tree branch from the road to get some guy and his family back to Oyster Bay Cove. We were standing about 6 inches from live powerline and never saw it until we moved the branch. Time before that I watched a UPS truck loose control and flip in front of me going down 25A towards Cold Spring Labs, but I do miss sneaking a 5th of brandy into Caumsett and walking down to the LI Sound in a foot of snow.

btw I have 3 cats if you want to try the sled thing, I'm curious myself.
    Mush!!!

edited December 1969

wellp, still snowing. did we pass the one foot milestone yet?

stuck home with no pistachios. have to start rationing the cashews, pre-de-shelled by unionized squirrel labor.

edited December 1969

stuck home with no pistachios. have to start rationing the cashews, pre-de-shelled by unionized squirrel labor.

I have no pistachio either. Shaved it off a couple of days ago.

edited December 1969

I have no pistachio either. Shaved it off a couple of days ago.

please don't touch mu mustash :) was a memory gimmik for something, but i only remember the gimmik

still snowing. piling on my window, turning into a draft stopper

edited January 2015

Started just after midnight, and it is now about one inch of flour like fluff accumulated. Visibility is under a mile tho, as it is kind of like frozen mist in the air. Highest gust thus far, 32mph.

:coolsmirk:
    (Edit, spelling, not my strong point, lol)

edited January 2015

Flower? Or flour?

one-cup-of-flour.jpg
    250 x 305 - 17K
    daisy_pollen_flower_220533.jpg
    425 x 318 - 27K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

flour. "O" and the wind gauge stopped working :-/

KDAW_001.png
    678 x 672 - 93K
    edited December 1969

:coolsmirk:
    (Edit, spelling, not my strong point, lol)

I had this first impression of a scene from "The Wizard of Oz" a la the Wicked Witch of the West "Poppies... Poppies. Poppies will put them to sleep. Sleeeeep. Now they'll sleeeeep! "

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,947
    edited December 1969

Almost as bad as me picturing a B lizard coming to terrorize the suburbs