Square nails on G2F

grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
edited December 1969 in The Commons

There are lots of character packages that include a square nail feature for G2F. Great, but when I apply them they get rounded at the corners. They are not round, per se, but they aren't really straight either because they curve at the corners. I assume this is because of Sub-D and so you just can't get true square nail tips for G2F. Is this correct?

If so, wouldn't a HD morph be able to give truly squared off nail tips?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

maybe a transparency map to hide the roundeds?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I think that the Edge Interpolation setting in the Mesh Resolution parameters would address this, but I'm no expert.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Have you looked at Xena's nails for G2F? http://www.daz3d.com/wicked-fingernails-genesis-2

The square nails morph is still a bit rounded, which may be that the nails simply don't have enough density to properly square them off in the G2 mesh. The thing I like about Xena's set is they also include an alternate UV mapping for the nails which gives you much higher resolution nail maps (they take an entire map, rather than being a tiny corner in the limbs map) and are also laid out for much easier creation of your own nail textures.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited January 2015

I have the wicked fingernails set, it's good.

See the render below, On the left I have G2F with Wicked Fingernails Long-Square set, and on the right, wearing a ring, is V4 with a square nails morph I got somewhere. Note that the G2G nail shape is better, especially where they meet the fingers but have an almost oval shape due to the rounding off I mentioned. I would like a true straight nails morph but I suppose there is no way to get there, unfortunately.

Fingernails.jpg
    1229 x 950 - 487K
    Post edited by grinch2901 on
  • ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,033
    edited December 1969

I have the wicked fingernails set, it's good.

See the render below, On the left I have G2F with Wicked Fingernails Long-Square set, and on the right, wearing a ring, is V4 with a square nails morph I got somewhere. Note that the G2G nail shape is better, especially where they meet the fingers but have an almost oval shape due to the rounding off I mentioned. I would like a true straight nails morph but I suppose there is no way to get there, unfortunately.

Try changing the SubDivision algorithm to Bilinear.

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,033
    edited December 1969

Alternately, you can change the resolution to base instead of high.

Silver's characters Clair and Zahara both come with a squared nail option that (with either fix above) will be nice and straight. The other characters of Silver's that come with square nails (that I have) also work with either of those fixes.