Content Installation - Products / Metadata

ArcoCreatesArcoCreates Posts: 35

Hi there

I am sure this has been asked hundreds of times, but I can't seem to find the answer to my question (or maybe I'm not asking the right questions). So, let me ask here.

I have started from scratch the installation of Daz Studio and content on my Mac. I have DIM set up to install to the place I want it, and I have Studio set up to look for the runtimes there. Great, right? Well, sort of.

Yesterday it took about 10 hours for DIM to download and install all my content. After figuring out why the 'products' and 'categories' were not showing up in my Content tab, I could start organizing my content as I like (I'm a wee bit OCD about this part).

As I started going through the 'Products', and creating 'Categories', I realized that not all my content was showing up as 'Products'.

Here are my questions then.
1. Is there a quick way to get all my content to show up as 'Products'? I have done the re-import metadata thing, but I am still missing a boatload of content from the 'Products'.
2. In relation to #1, is this because the older content (some A3, A4, V4 stuff) does not have metadata?
3. What options have I to make sure that all my content is present so that I can put it all in the categories I have created? (IE: Amiel Hair + MATS in the Hair category for A3, A4, V4)?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,354
    edited December 1969

Metadata is needed for items to appear in the Products list. You can add items to categories by right-click under DAZ Studio Formats/Poser Formats.

• ArcoCreatesArcoCreates Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

Thanks Richard. I was afraid of that.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Actually, if you install using DIM it will create the Products entries even for products which don't have metadata.

• ArcoCreatesArcoCreates Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

FixMyPCMike, you are correct. I'm not sure why everything didn't show up the first time I downloaded it all, but now I am doing it again, one at a time, and it is working flawlessly.

But now, here's another question. I discovered that the JetDrive I am installing to should have been formatted as a Mac Journaled partition rather than exFat. Is it possible for me to copy my folders to a backup drive (from the JetDrive), format the JetDrive, then copy the folders (containing my runtime) back to the JetDrive and still have Daz see the products / categories et al?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I would think that would be fine as long as the drive designation doesn't change, but I'm not on a Mac. Make sure nothing tries to access the drive while it isn't available, or MacOSX will "create" a drive at that address and block the real drive from using it.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,564
    edited December 1969

You can safely backup your files to another drive, reformat the drive as HFS+ and copy it back. There are a problem, which fixmyPCmike touches.

in OS X, all drives are, if not manually changed by issuing mount commands via the terminal, mounted at /Volumes.
    This works well unless the drive disappears (which remote drives sometimes does).
    What can happen is that you will get one or more "ghost entries" in /Volumes, where only one points at the drive itself. This is usually not a problem for the Finder, but can be for other applications that has the path stored away.

An example:
    Your JetDrive is named "JetDrive". When mounted you will have a drive entry called /Volumes/JetDrive. Now it flickers and the connection is lost but is reappears before it is tagged as dismounted. Now you will have /Volumes/JetDrive and /Volumes/JetDrive 1, but in Finder you see JetDrive. Not to the tricky bit. /Volume/JetDrive is a ghost pointing nowhere, while /Volume/JetDrive 1 is what Finder sees as JetDrive.

Now, if you had told DS to look at content in /Volumes/JetDrive/My Library, and that above happens, it won't be found.
    Only solution is log in/out to clear that or reboot.