13»

Comments

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

cridgit said:

Melissa, thank you for sharing those tests. Is that texture from a commercially available character? It looks like a really good one.

Thanks! Rosawyn is a custom character and her skin is what I call a "franken-skin". It's a custom-blended (in Photoshop) amalgamation of Babina 8, Victoria 7 (love her fine details), and LY Bramble. I built the sss maps from scratch and then tweaked the shaders using my workflow process.  

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on

cridgit said:

MelissaGT said:

Thanks! Rosawyn is a custom character and her skin is what I call a "franken-skin". It's a custom-blended (in Photoshop) amalgamation of Babina 8, Victoria 7 (love her fine details), and LY Bramble. I built the sss maps from scratch and then tweaked the shaders using my workflow process.  

I'd buy! 

I do have some merchant resources and I have contemplated making a couple characters for sale...however I prefer the Uber Shader, and it seems most folks frown on characters being released without the newer (not necessarily better) PBR Skin Shader these days.  

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

I <3 Uber Shader

• M-CM-C Posts: 102

Looks very good Melissa!
    What color space did you use with DS 4.20 and spectral rendering?

edited February 2022

M-C said:

Looks very good Melissa!

I use rec709...it's the only one where even the background colors didn't get all wonky. I have to wonder, though...that with the spectral and non-spectral renders with 4.20 looking nearly identical, and actually idential in some lighting...why bother?  

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • MelissaGT said:

cridgit said:

MelissaGT said:

I'd buy! 

I do have some merchant resources and I have contemplated making a couple characters for sale...however I prefer the Uber Shader, and it seems most folks frown on characters being released without the newer (not necessarily better) PBR Skin Shader these days.  

would you share your settings with us? :) that problem let save everythin as i know

yukimuki12 said:

MelissaGT said:

cridgit said:

MelissaGT said:

I'd buy! 

would you share your settings with us? :) that problem let save everythin as i know

At the beginning of this thread is a link to an article I put together that covers my workflow for the Uber Shader...though those settings will not work for spectral rendering.

edited February 2022

MelissaGT said:

M-C said:

Looks very good Melissa!

I use rec709...it's the only one where even the background colors didn't get all wonky. I have to wonder, though...that with the spectral and non-spectral renders with 4.20 looking nearly identical, and actually idential in some lighting...why bother?  

As I said before we allready talked a bit about the topic in the photorealism thread. I´m still struggeling with the whole thing and it gets a bit complicated  quite fast.
    I initially came up with it because of a video I stumbled across. I´ll quote myself here to make it easier:

"I did some research on the topic and while I´m by far not skilled enough to fully understand all of it, the main takeaway seems to be that aces - or in this case acescg - seems the way to go if your goal is photorealism. Adrew Price - the Blender Guru - has a great video about it. Of course it is made for Blender but the priciples apply to every render engine. I can´t remember if it has been linked somewhere in the thread before but anyways... here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9AT7H4GGrA&t=1658s "

Meanwhile I´ve found out that what Andrew describes about the light behavior in aces can also be achieved with rec709 when one sets the "Spectral Conversion Intent" to "natural".
    So yeah, I´m more confused than ever to be honest. But you´re probably right. It´s far too much trouble to bother with all that aces stuff when you can achieve a good looking picture with rec709 as well.

Post edited by M-C on
    edited February 2022

M-C said:

MelissaGT said:

M-C said:

Looks very good Melissa!

As I said before we allready talked a bit about the topic in the photorealism thread. I´m still struggeling with the whole thing and it gets a bit complicated  quite fast.
    I initially came up with it because of a video I stumbled across. I´ll quote myself here to make it easier:

"I did some research on the topic and while I´m by far not skilled enough to fully understand all of it, the main takeaway seems to be that aces - or in this case acescg - seems the way to go if your goal is photorealism. Adrew Price - the Blender Guru - has a great video about it. Of course it is made for Blender but the priciples apply to every render engine. I can´t remember if it has been linked somewhere in the thread before but anyways... here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9AT7H4GGrA&t=1658s "

Meanwhile I´ve found out that what Andrew describes about the light behavior in aces can also be achieved with rec709 when one sets the "Spectral Conversion Intent" to "natural".
    So yeah, I´m more confused than ever to be honest. But you´re probably right. It´s far too much trouble to bother with all that aces stuff when you can achieve a good looking picture with rec709 as well.

It still doesn't answer why you get the same results with standard rendering. The only difference is that turning on rec709 adds to the render time. What is it doing that is different, because in DS 4.15 you could see that spectral renders looked visibly different. In 4.20, they don't...at least not when using rec709.  

I'm lead to assume that acescg (and the other color profiles) aren't performing the same in DS as they would in Blender (though I honestly have no idea). The colors are off, not just for skin, but for everything. You could have a middle grey plane in a scene by itself and it would look pink with those profiles. So something is off. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • DandeneDandene Posts: 162

Thank you, Melissa, for sharing your skin tweak settings!  I've always been a huge fan of your work and wondered how you made your renders look so amazing!  I keep yours and another set of skin settings written down at my desk.  Yours definitely added quite a bit more to the overall skin details and made it feel more "fleshy."  

Dandene said:

Thank you, Melissa, for sharing your skin tweak settings!  I've always been a huge fan of your work and wondered how you made your renders look so amazing!  I keep yours and another set of skin settings written down at my desk.  Yours definitely added quite a bit more to the overall skin details and made it feel more "fleshy."  

Oh wow...awesome!!! 

• Am I the only one who found out that turning on spectral rendering (rec2020 natrual cie1964) causes the skin SSS effect to not work?

yibuxiaoxinjiubani said:

Am I the only one who found out that turning on spectral rendering (rec2020 natrual cie1964) causes the skin SSS effect to not work?

Spectral rendering requires very different sss settings...however...spectral rendering also changed with DS 4.20. With 4.20 I use rec709. 

(The guide discussed in this thread uses settings for non-spectral rendering...however with DS 4.20 there doesn't appear to be any difference between rec709 and non-spectral, so they may still work. Your results may vary. I need to update the guide for 4.20.)

MelissaGT said:

yibuxiaoxinjiubani said:

Am I the only one who found out that turning on spectral rendering (rec2020 natrual cie1964) causes the skin SSS effect to not work?

Spectral rendering requires very different sss settings...however...spectral rendering also changed with DS 4.20. With 4.20 I use rec709. 

(The guide discussed in this thread uses settings for non-spectral rendering...however with DS 4.20 there doesn't appear to be any difference between rec709 and non-spectral, so they may still work. Your results may vary. I need to update the guide for 4.20.)

Hi Melissa!

Just wanted to ask if there are any news about your updated settings for spectral rendering in 4.20+.
    Your guide is great and I´d really be interrested in your findings about the "new" spectral renderer.