hunky dorky stupid question - SolVed :-)

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006

Aside from forgetting the image to show on the other computer ... what did I do wrong?

Genesis

Made a new uvmap, intended to work for part of the body.

Image a T-shirt skin clothing.

I meticulously made the uvmap for it, making a tutorial along the way.
I very carefully laid out the uvmap so the T-shirt would be easy {I had hoped} to texture as such.
Well, the end result looks fine with some textures BUT what is going on appears like stretch along the new seam lines.
Big time stretch as in a whole lot of space squished together as if one had a line on one side of the page, the next line on the far side of the page.
The meticulously matched shoulder seam is all yucky.
It's as though, even though the islands are joined, but they aren't. ???

I will go away now and get picture --- if I can find where I threw it.

Post edited by patience55 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,473
    edited February 2015

That sounds as if a line of polygons is collapsed, with two lines of edges on top of each other. Count eht rows or columns of polygons across your model, and see if the count on the map is lower.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

That sounds as if a line of polygons is collapsed, with two lines of edges on top of each other. Count eht rows or columns of polygons across your model, and see if the count on the map is lower.

I'll check that, thanks. I know I pulled at the lines and everything seemed okay but that isn't always so as we know.

edited December 1969

Found the problem. Eventually found another way to do what I needed done in the program.

Hexagon did not mess up the uvmap.
    I did not merged overlying lines.
    Imported .obj into D/S looked fine.
    Object file sent to D/S over the bridge looked fine.

BUT whether a prop file OR a figure file [like clothing] was created, D/S4.6 messed up the uvmaps BIG time.
    IMHO it should not have done that, but it did.

Was trying to get the uvmap saved but the message said one had to save the item as a prop or a figure.
    So then i was digging the uvmap out of the one folder, moving it to desired folder and editing it.
    File showed up in Genesis' uvmap collection BUT the uvmap was messed up.

Exhausting every possible way to do this ... I FINALLY found a phrase in the commands that looked interesting. So tried that and it worked.
    However in making morphs I know that just making something doesn't mean it's going to stay ... but this time when I tried the official save commands it worked :-)

Along today's journeys also found some answers to other questions I've seen posted here and there.

1. If Hexagon has the option greyed out to send anything back to D/S. It is because the uv preview window is hot, not the mesh window.
    The mesh window must be selected, then the option is there again.
    2. There is no way that the Save Material Preset works correctly in D/S4.6 UNTIL after one has officially SAVED the new uvmap [and just to be sure, good idea to load a fresh Genesis or whichever].

strange05.png
    1812 x 999 - 574K
    strange04.png
    1920 x 998 - 626K
    strange03.png
    1780 x 994 - 191K
    strange02.png
    1804 x 908 - 595K
    strange01.png
    1790 x 992 - 1M
    edited December 1969

:-)

This_one_works.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,473
    edited December 1969

I'm not clear on what you are doing - if you are moving stuff out of the 0,1 square that may be confusing DS - an alternative approach would be to shrink the unwanted bits down and hide them in a corner of the unit square. Still, if it works until you save that would sound like a bug and should be reported with a simple step-by-step guide to show how to reproduce the issue.

edited December 1969

I'm not clear on what you are doing - if you are moving stuff out of the 0,1 square that may be confusing DS - an alternative approach would be to shrink the unwanted bits down and hide them in a corner of the unit square. Still, if it works until you save that would sound like a bug and should be reported with a simple step-by-step guide to show how to reproduce the issue.

That I was doing something that confused DS wouldn't surprize me lol ...

I tried leaving everything on the CheckerT but that didn't work either.
    It seemed to be the actual act of saving the genesis .obj as either prop or again, even as figure ... D/S corrupted the uvmap.

If you can reproduce the error, feel free to file the bug reports.
    I made the tutorial and somewhere in it is mention made as to what didn't work.
    I just put it together today so hopefully it makes sense.

http://patience55anotherone.deviantart.com/art/Skin-Clothing-w-New-UV-maps-514674251

What I recall doing in earlier editions was saving the prop or figure file and then manually editing the uvmaps to be slid into the main figure's uvmap folder. Maps put there that way also did not save correctly in the mat files ... so I have presented a way that does work in D/S4.6.

Cheers :-)