Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.20.0.17! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• Please Help

I have Quadro RTX 4000 graphix w up to date driver on i9-9000 core 3.6 GHz PC.

After installing 4.20 today (1.) all my qued work appears renderin very dark, app. 3 apertures (f) lower than the set value. Meaning, the values are not changed, but images suddenly render like it was the middle of the night. In addition to that when the f will be corrected (2.) the colours still seem very odd. Like Gamma would be somewhere 10-15% side ways.

Is this a know problem, already solved with a quick and dirty cure, or do I really need to start adjusting the once done works (23 images) each and one separately?

I would like to go back to 4.17 (I quess), but that also seems not to be an option.

Thank you for your kind help in advance.

• I realised actually first now, that the GPU was not rendering at all. All the results I got were by CPU only.

What???

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,866

Are you using Ghost Lights to light up your scenes?

• PerttiA said:

Are you using Ghost Lights to light up your scenes?

No, I am not using ghost lights.

I also updated the NVIDIA driver, which was up to date already, but the GPU is not rendering working IRAY at all. If I leave CPU out, it just stops and asks you to save the empty canvas.

• What is your driver version now?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,236

esteri64 said:

I realised actually first now, that the GPU was not rendering at all. All the results I got were by CPU only.

What???

Try updating your GPU driver.
  • Richard Haseltine said:

What is your driver version now?

It is 460.89

• esteri64esteri64 Posts: 21
    edited February 2022

Leana said:

esteri64 said:

I realised actually first now, that the GPU was not rendering at all. All the results I got were by CPU only.

What???

Try updating your GPU driver.

Thanks. According to NVIDIA it is the latest.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,492

esteri64 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

It is 460.89

That driver is over a year old and does not meet the minimum required version for either CPU or GPU rendering, according to this message. Maybe the later versions of Iray don't support your older graphics card.

• barbult said:

esteri64 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

It is 460.89

That driver is over a year old and does not meet the minimum required version for either CPU or GPU rendering, according to this message. Maybe the later versions of Iray don't support your older graphics card.

Ooops... NVIDIA offers me this one stating, that it is the latest. Clearly I need to check with them again. Thank you so much.

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 752

Richard Haseltine said:

Turn off render Emitter and the back of the light will go away - if you give the light a non-point shape then it does have geometry, though being able to hide it is cerainly an example of nVidia's being willing to be non-physical; fortunately it's a documented feature, unlike the one ghost lights use, so shouldn't be going away.

The reason it's black is because for some reason the sphere has two sides and I was looking at the back.  When I rotate it 93 degrees the effect is obvious:

image That is with the invisible sphere, with "render emitter" turned off on the spotlight.  If I set "display" off on the invisible sphere the spotlight itself disappears, but the reflection is still there:image  The sphere stops "render emitter/no" having any effect because there are now two steps in the path the ray takes to the spot - one to the sphere then a second to the spot.  Doing this doesn't make any difference to the behavior of the "iray matte" property - it doesn't seem to have any effect on the spotlight.

No sphere render rotated spot.png
    512 x 512 - 183K
    No sphere do not render rotated spot.png
    512 x 512 - 181K
    edited February 2022

How to make a ghost light in DAZ Studio 4.20.0.2.

Thanks to @prixat for pointing out that Iray Matte does what ghost lights require.

To make a ghost light, or to change a pre-4.16 ghost light so that it works as before, do this:

1. Create whatever object you want to be the light.
    2. Set the shader to Iray Uber and reset the surface properties (of all the surfaces) - just go to "currently used" and reset all the properties except the "Emission" properties.
    3. Now in "Base" set "Refraction Index" and "Refraction Weight" (both) to 1.0 - this makes the object invisible.
    4. Note that because the object is there rays pass through it, this introduces an extra step and that might have consequences if you use a low "Max Path Length" and can produce extra fireflies.
    5. Go to "Emission" and set the emission color to whatever you want (normally white) and tweak the other parameters as required; for an existing ghost light this will already be set up.
    6. Note that you know have a big glowing object in your scene and it will appear in reflections.  If you used previously ghost light settings it will be way too bright, that's expected at this point:image
    7. Use the magic script  to "Create Advanced Iray Node Properties" on the object.
    8. Got to Parameters/Display/Rendering/Iray and turn "Enable Iray Matte" on.
    9. Waggle the cursor around - there seems to be some issue about updating the display.
    10. Note that the object and all its reflections disappear, so the lighting it provides drops a lot: image
    Ghost light (6).png
    512 x 512 - 166K
    Ghost light (10).png
    512 x 512 - 136K
    Post edited by jbowler on
  • My skin shader killed by 4.20 and i get only red skin after update. What should i do? Can i downgrade??

• Did Daz fire the QA department? I'm having the same layout issue as several other people and I was forced into 4.20 because I had a SEVERE computer crash that wiped out all but one of my hard drives, so I had no backups at all. They should let you download the previous version for up to a month after they release a new version just so people can get around issues like this. They reduce the discounts, costing us more money and they put out horrible code. It's very frustrating.

• Wholfe said:

Did Daz fire the QA department? I'm having the same layout issue as several other people and I was forced into 4.20 because I had a SEVERE computer crash that wiped out all but one of my hard drives, so I had no backups at all. They should let you download the previous version for up to a month after they release a new version just so people can get around issues like this. They reduce the discounts, costing us more money and they put out horrible code. It's very frustrating.

It has been fixed and there should hopefully be an update later this week.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588

yukimuki12 said:

My skin shader killed by 4.20 and i get only red skin after update. What should i do? Can i downgrade??

Spectral Rendering has been turning things red. Check that 'Spectral Rendering'  is turned OFF. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,777

...This is interesting,  I currently have the Daz 4.15.0.30 general release and 4.16.1.40 beta installed but both are showing up in the DIM Installed tab as being 4.20.

• yukimuki12yukimuki12 Posts: 6
    edited February 2022

prixat said:

yukimuki12 said:

My skin shader killed by 4.20 and i get only red skin after update. What should i do? Can i downgrade??

Spectral Rendering has been turning things red. Check that 'Spectral Rendering'  is turned OFF. 

turning off is nothing for my woks. ah i want to use old version but we cant. 

Post edited by yukimuki12 on
  • 3D-GHDesign3D-GHDesign Posts: 678
    edited February 2022

Wondering that others have problem with the base thin film too? Or it is only me. In 4.16 I got beautiful rainbow effect, buit now it is only simple color :(

Post edited by 3D-GHDesign on
  • 3D-GHDesign said:

Wondering that others have problem with the base thin film too? Or it is only me. In 4.16 I got beautiful rainbow effect, buit now it is only simple color :(

If you search for thin film on https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/529616/daz-studio-pro-4-20-0-x-nvidia-iray you should find the details.

• Richard Haseltine said:

3D-GHDesign said:

If you search for thin film on https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/529616/daz-studio-pro-4-20-0-x-nvidia-iray you should find the details.

Yep, another "bug" what I so liked to use :D So from now bye-bye rainbow colors. Thanks for the info

• I'm still on the 4.16 beta, which IN installed very recently after a meltdown of my previous verison and lo and behold, a 4.20 with volumetric fog (oh the beauty) comes out... with a meteorite shower of bugs and "not-bug-a-feature" new problems. So of course, I followed the whole thing closely. So far, the problems I could identify by parsing the threads would be: 1- Ghost lights, 2- Thin film 3- some hair sets not working as intended. If there is anything else, I'd like to know. Honestly though, and I think many are in the same frame of mind as I am, since some very specific issues have been identified, could we get a sticky thread dedicated to these documented issues? Not a whole "here is how the beta is evolving" with all the debating and going back and forth, rather a bulletin board of issues where the buggers would be chalked out when sorted out, with maybe a specific note for each telling how to work around the problem or plain saying "problem solved".

This way, whoever looks at it could judge of how satisfactory the state of things has become for them. They would then be able to make a clear call about going 4.20 or not.

Just an idea, of course.

• esteri64esteri64 Posts: 21
    edited February 2022

This 4.20 is obviously [giving me problems].

I only have problems. And I didn't even choose to have these problems. I downloaded 4.20 as it just appeared in my Install Manager as a "product update". No warning of the major roll out of a non working beta version.

I also couldn't have known to make any database backup, since this first came clear, when I started having problems and checked the forums. (Which gives me an idea of how far the developers are from the users.) 

Where can I download the previous version to try to save as much of my work as possible?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • I never understood updating the Beta and Release builds the same time

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

I never understood updating the Beta and Release builds the same time

The Public Build is updated so that people can try the current version without changing their release version - rather than leaving the beta at a step behind as in the past. This is something Daz has been doing for a while now.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,492

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I never understood updating the Beta and Release builds the same time

The Public Build is updated so that people can try the current version without changing their release version - rather than leaving the beta at a step behind as in the past. This is something Daz has been doing for a while now.

And I appreciate that. I am only running beta 4.20.0.2, leaving release on 4.16.0.3. When they patch the layout bug, I hope they will patch both channels.
  • Like said above,

As long as the 4.20 would continue to be a royal meltdown, I would like to continue my work, maybe still save some of it, and use the older version. 

Where could I download the previous working version (4.16), please?

• esteri64 said:

Like said above,

As long as the 4.20 would continue to be a royal meltdown, I would like to continue my work, maybe still save some of it, and use the older version. 

Only Daz can provide an older version, all we can suggest is opening a support ticket.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,866

esteri64 said:

Like said above,

The only way to get previous versions is to ask DAZ support for them, but judging from previous posts, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Esteri on suomalainen nimi... 

second_technician_rimmer_9571136c47 said:

So far, the problems I could identify by parsing the threads would be: 1- Ghost lights, 2- Thin film 3- some hair sets not working as intended. If there is anything else, I'd like to know.

You've already "lost" ghost lights - they stopped working in 4.16 - however they aren't lost, just set the Iray Matte property on, set the opacity correctly and make the object transparent (as detailed above).  Someone could probably script that; the issue is actually recognizing a ghost light.  Is it just opacity==0? 

Thin film is probably going to be more tricky; it's not affecting a feature which relatively (if any?) purchased products use.  It would seem to affect material handling everywhere.  The Iray log Richard Haseltine pointed to is also distinctly unimpressive; it starts with, "Fixed/Replaced thin film factor implementation, as the previous implementation had some downsides", then goes downhill from that high point with a stream of "Fixed thin film factor implementation".  Once again this is a script-fix thing, but maybe easier than correctly identifying ghost lights, it's just "Base Thin Film" isn't it?  However I assume that PA products will need to be updated too.