Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.20.0.17! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• no__nameno__name Posts: 88
    edited November 2021

VEGA said:

I had similar results, the converted textures are more gray to green color and the renders are darker. What I think  is that transmitted and SSS colors are not tuned to the spectral rendering. The skin transillumination distances look correct, but as you can see the color is orange with aces, for me with a bit of a green undertone, skin and ears mainly. I would assume the SSS light would be going from red to white, depending on the light intensity, and not from orange to white as in acescg. So maybe it needs to be adjusted in range +- 0.05 - 0.1 both Transmitted and SSS color. I would supress green color first.

I see what you mean - you may be right, completely missed that point tho. Transmitted/SSS color still use its sRGB color space :s

So adjustement on daily basis, meh. UberACEScg shader or we riot xD

Post edited by no__name on
  • VEGAVEGA Posts: 86

no__name said:

VEGA said:

I had similar results, the converted textures are more gray to green color and the renders are darker. What I think  is that transmitted and SSS colors are not tuned to the spectral rendering. The skin transillumination distances look correct, but as you can see the color is orange with aces, for me with a bit of a green undertone, skin and ears mainly. I would assume the SSS light would be going from red to white, depending on the light intensity, and not from orange to white as in acescg. So maybe it needs to be adjusted in range +- 0.05 - 0.1 both Transmitted and SSS color. I would supress green color first.

I see what you mean - you may be right, completely missed that point tho. Transmitted/SSS color still use its sRGB color space :s

So adjustement on daily basis, meh. UberACEScg shader or we riot xD

I'd like to use the acescg, but unless it's done automatically I won't be bothering with it too much. I'd like to see textures in srgb and have them auto converted when you change to Iray viewport or when you render. Maybe some plugin? Or ocio plugin inside iray renderer plugin itself? IDK

• Hey everyone, 
    I've made the mistake to update Daz to 4.16 before checking here( on the forum ) and now, most of my hair has no transparency, glass shaders the same, etc... 
    How could I go back to 4.15.30? 
    I've tried looking into Daz Central, but it won't let me see any other versions, just the 4.16 one. 

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

An "ACES shader" wouldn't make any sense. All the actual underlying render calculations are *linear* eg the output you get if you render a canvas. ACES is (roughly) a set of instructions to translate that linear render information into an output that is displayable whilst retaining as much data as possible.

Also worth mentioning ACES is not a "click this button to make your render look better." It is primarily a set of tools designed to take disparate inputs: footage from different cameras as well as cg renders, and transform them all to a consistent neutral that can then be combined and further edited/graded. In point of fact if you're looking for "click to look better" it is probably the opposite of that as it is designed to create a neutral base to grade, not to create a pretty final product as is. 

I personally like ACES and similar because I like a nice low contrast image that I can then tweak in post.

But even if one did have "ACES textures" they would still when you hit render create linear render data (and this is good, this is how every render engine works). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty confident that "ACES textures" is meaningless. That's not how it works.

• strezoiualexandru said:

Hey everyone, 
    I've made the mistake to update Daz to 4.16 before checking here( on the forum ) and now, most of my hair has no transparency, glass shaders the same, etc... 
    I've tried looking into Daz Central, but it won't let me see any other versions, just the 4.16 one.

That's 4.16.0.2? If so the rendering shouldn't be any differnt as it has exactly the same version of Iray as 4.15.0.30. The Public Build, 4.16.1.08(?), does have a newer version of Iray, and that does have soem issues (which is why it isn't in the new general release).

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,949
    edited November 2021

strezoiualexandru said:

Hey everyone, 

You can't, you need to back up the original install files because Daz does not allow for earlier betas to be downloaded...

Also, this version cannot load the same amount of objects as earlier versions without the viewport slowing down to 1fps; it's looking to become a crappy feature as no one else seems to have the same issue, that same bug has come back!

I'll be writing a bug report as well I just wanted to know if anyone else had this same issue...

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
    edited November 2021

j cade said:

An "ACES shader" wouldn't make any sense. All the actual underlying render calculations are *linear* eg the output you get if you render a canvas. ACES is (roughly) a set of instructions to translate that linear render information into an output that is displayable whilst retaining as much data as possible.

Also worth mentioning ACES is not a "click this button to make your render look better." It is primarily a set of tools designed to take disparate inputs: footage from different cameras as well as cg renders, and transform them all to a consistent neutral that can then be combined and further edited/graded. In point of fact if you're looking for "click to look better" it is probably the opposite of that as it is designed to create a neutral base to grade, not to create a pretty final product as is. 

I personally like ACES and similar because I like a nice low contrast image that I can then tweak in post.

But even if one did have "ACES textures" they would still when you hit render create linear render data (and this is good, this is how every render engine works). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty confident that "ACES textures" is meaningless. That's not how it works.

I'm not sure I'm following you, granted I didn't know anything about acescg since 3 days ago xD. I don't understand what you mean by "click this button to make your render look better" (I would smash that button tho xD).

If you take an hdri and render with with aces, you will see some colors seems to fall "out of range". If you convert the Hdri to that color space, colors are back. My thinknig is what happening to the hdri is happening to textures as well.

If you google further into it, you will see any acescg workflow imply primary "color correction" for non-data textures, here for Vray (so mostly diffuse/translucency maps for Uber/Iray) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5-JAG55_eY

It doesn't seem that color space textures convertion is any controversial topic, there is several tool to achieve it, which seems to be on par with result so far. It's the one I used (it says 2$ but it's free) :

https://liam-collod.gumroad.com/l/pycocs

It's possible I miss the point tho.

zzzz.jpg
    3521 x 1372 - 698K
  • strezoiualexandrustrezoiualexandru Posts: 47
    edited November 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

strezoiualexandru said:

Hey everyone, 

That's 4.16.0.2? If so the rendering shouldn't be any differnt as it has exactly the same version of Iray as 4.15.0.30. The Public Build, 4.16.1.08(?), does have a newer version of Iray, and that does have soem issues (which is why it isn't in the new general release).

So, my version is 4.16.0.3 and my Out of Touch hair's are broken. The skull mesh has no transparency 

So, there still is something wrong with the render in this version. 

I have ben able to fix ( relatively speacking ) it somehow, by applying a diferent hair material ( from a diferent product ) but still this is broken, as most of my hair props are like this now. 

Capture.PNG
    1648 x 642 - 2M
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • strezoiualexandru said:

Richard Haseltine said:

strezoiualexandru said:

Hey everyone, 

So, my version is 4.16.0.3 and my Out of Touch hair's are broken. The skull mesh has no transparency 

So, there still is something wrong with the render in this version. 

I have ben able to fix ( relatively speacking ) it somehow, by applying a diferent hair material ( from a diferent product ) but still this is broken, as most of my hair props are like this now. 

That looks to be a preview, not a render. this si what i get with the Super Messy Updo in 4.16.0.3 after applying the Apply First and base Colour 1 presets:

4.16.0.3 Supper Messy Updo.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 535K
  • jardinejardine Posts: 1,190
    edited November 2021

a base scene i've worked with dozens of times suddenly became very, very slow to render.

i checked the log.  and this is new.  it didn't appear in the log entries for any of the previous thirty times i'd rendered some version of the scene.

IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080): Failed to allocate 337.502 MiB for (device) frame buffer, will try allocating smaller (partial) frame buffer
    2021-11-26 21:12:47.117 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080): Failed to allocate 168.752 MiB for (device) frame buffer, will try allocating smaller (partial) frame buffer
    2021-11-26 21:12:47.117 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080): Failed to allocate 84.377 MiB for (device) frame buffer, will try allocating smaller (partial) frame buffer
    2021-11-26 21:12:47.119 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080): Allocated 42.190 MiB for device frame buffer

j

Post edited by jardine on
  • RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,122

jardine said:

a base scene i've worked with dozens of times suddenly became very, very slow to render.

i checked the log.  and this is new.  it didn't appear in the log entries for any of the previous thirty times i'd rendered some version of the scene.

IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080): Failed to allocate 337.502 MiB for (device) frame buffer, will try allocating smaller (partial) frame buffer
    2021-11-26 21:12:47.117 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080): Failed to allocate 168.752 MiB for (device) frame buffer, will try allocating smaller (partial) frame buffer
    2021-11-26 21:12:47.117 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080): Failed to allocate 84.377 MiB for (device) frame buffer, will try allocating smaller (partial) frame buffer
    2021-11-26 21:12:47.119 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.3   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080): Allocated 42.190 MiB for device frame buffer

j

I would check to see if you had other apps open at the time (eg. Chrome) that can consume potentially large amounts of GPU memory. Or if you had a previous render's render window still open (keeping those open retains them in GPU memory to allow for Iray resuming/restarting.)

• ragamuffin57ragamuffin57 Posts: 132
    edited November 2021

Has anyone encountered on all but spectral rec709 cie 1964 natural  a grey or a 5oclock shadow effect arond the chin when rendering in spectral rec 2020 aces and acescg  cie1964 natural ??

Ahh reading through the thread Looks like i am using a srgb texture when it should be convertwed to the new colour spaces ??

I wonder then will Daz when it irons out the kinks in the newer Iray introduce a plugin to convert  from what we have now to the new colour spaces?

Post edited by ragamuffin57 on
  • I have a problem in the 4.16 (both beta and gernal release) that figures are loading much slower than in the 4.15 release.It's just stock on "deleting objects" for minutes. This happens when I just load the simple g8f base figure too.

There isn't any difference in the log file from what I can tell, just 4.16 being slower.

• I see the success of the program is based on 3 things:

1 - Speed loading .

2- fixing problems .

3 - Speed Render .

• Richard Haseltine said:

marble said:

I do hope someone starts a tutorial thread on how to light IRay scenes without Ghost Lights. I tend to use them a lot although laterly I've tried other methods like adjusting tonemapping parameters but I have no real clue about what I am doing.I have not installed the latest beta versions nor the General Release (I'm still running 4.15.0.2) and I am very wary about overwriting this old version until things stabilise with 4.16.

Apply the Advanced Iray Node Proeprties script from Scripts/Utilities (not sure on the actual name of the script but it should be clear) to your ghost light(s), turn on the Iray Matte option that is added to Parameters (under the Display group), and zero out the glossy settings so that it doesn't catch reflections. This seems to work fairly well to hide the light (and could probably be scripted).

It works "okayish" at best. You can still see a faint "ghost" of the primitive. And even worse, if there's other light in the scene hitting the "ghost light" that primitive will cast a shadow frown

• MeneerWolfman said:

Richard Haseltine said:

marble said:

I do hope someone starts a tutorial thread on how to light IRay scenes without Ghost Lights. I tend to use them a lot although laterly I've tried other methods like adjusting tonemapping parameters but I have no real clue about what I am doing.I have not installed the latest beta versions nor the General Release (I'm still running 4.15.0.2) and I am very wary about overwriting this old version until things stabilise with 4.16.

Apply the Advanced Iray Node Proeprties script from Scripts/Utilities (not sure on the actual name of the script but it should be clear) to your ghost light(s), turn on the Iray Matte option that is added to Parameters (under the Display group), and zero out the glossy settings so that it doesn't catch reflections. This seems to work fairly well to hide the light (and could probably be scripted).

It works "okayish" at best. You can still see a faint "ghost" of the primitive. And even worse, if there's other light in the scene hitting the "ghost light" that primitive will cast a shadow frown

I didn't test whether it was casting shadows itself (it shouldn't, on geenral principle) but I did see a faint outline of the plane in 4.16.0.3 - in 4.16.1.x the plane vanished, though it did cause the visible object in the scene to cast a stronger shadow that the visible plane on the other side so I agree it isn't a perfect match for ghost lights.

• nicstt said:

johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

Tonemapping is not a solution to this problem.

Watch this video to get the idea of what is involved in good scene lighting:

TL;DR -- good scene lighting is a complex endeavor and ghost lights in Iray were important part of accomplishing this. You can't use point lights and spot lights to simulate softboxes, diffusers, and curtains. Fudging with tonemapper produces noisy scenes with blown highlights which take ages to render while relying on denoiser produces results that look too artificial.

I completely disagree; tonemapping is 'a' solution. You might not like or even prefer it, but for some of us, or  maybe a few of us - it is a solution.

It won't be my only one.

TBH, ghost lights made me lazy; I'd use them before considering anything else.

You can disagree all you want, tonemapping is but the last step in the image creation process -- you can render a linear image (disable tonemapping and save a render canvas as an EXR file) and tonemap that in Photoshop or Affinity Photo or what have you with much more control over the result than you have in DAZ Studio.

The real solution is proper lighting of the scene using various light sources, and that includes ghost lights when you need uniform diffuse light which doesn't cast harsh shadows.

TL;DR -- with tonemapping you can only adjust exposure, contrast, and saturation of the whole scene, that solves completely differnt set of problems than properly set light sources.

• Richard Haseltine said:

MeneerWolfman said:

Richard Haseltine said:

marble said:

I didn't test whether it was casting shadows itself (it shouldn't, on geenral principle) but I did see a faint outline of the plane in 4.16.0.3 - in 4.16.1.x the plane vanished, though it did cause the visible object in the scene to cast a stronger shadow that the visible plane on the other side so I agree it isn't a perfect match for ghost lights.

It was a good thought, Richard. Unfortunately, only Ghost Lights are Ghost Lights :/ Here's hoping Nvidia reenables them.

edited November 2021

ragamuffin57 said:

Ahh reading through the thread Looks like i am using a srgb texture when it should be convertwed to the new colour spaces ??

I wonder then will Daz when it irons out the kinks in the newer Iray introduce a plugin to convert  from what we have now to the new colour spaces?

I'm almost certain you need to convert textures to the color space you gonna use. By textures I mean non-data ones, so no normals, no bumps, no roughness, no specular etc.

Except for rec709 which is the regular sRBG one so no convertion needed.  Once convertion done, SSS is the slippy part.

From my testing, if I'm correct (via Pyco) ;

Textures : Input = Utility-Textures-sRGB, output = your color space

Hdri : Input = Utility-Linear-sRGB, output = your color space

For Daz I don't know, never say never, but it's rather niche and need quite some dev-work (and won't bring much money on the table^^). Would be definitely cool tho cool.

RawTextures_NoSpectral.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    RawTextures_rec709_cie1969.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    RawTextures_acescg_cie1964.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    ConvertedTexturesHdri_acescg_cie1964.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • mikmodmikmod Posts: 65

I'd like to ask about PBRSkin shader, now present in the {My Library}\Shader Presets\Iray\Daz PBRSkin - I noticed this shader totally doesn't have Cutout Opacity feature, is it intended?

• Illidanstorm said:

I have a problem in the 4.16 (both beta and gernal release) that figures are loading much slower than in the 4.15 release.It's just stock on "deleting objects" for minutes. This happens when I just load the simple g8f base figure too.

There isn't any difference in the log file from what I can tell, just 4.16 being slower.

Noticed this too with an earlier DS version.

So, did a timed test to see how long a base G8F or a scene actually takes to load.  Disregarded the possible change in DAZ gui-load.
    Just tested 4.12.0.86 vs 4.16.0.2.  Did make sure to throw 1st test out as Scene once read gets put into your ram memory. Took about 12% more when reading for 1st time.  At that point, load times for both versions were identical for me.  
    For full disclosure, Have 3600mhz Ram and 128GB so after 1st read will be good until next PC reboot.

• ChatjdChatjd Posts: 152

Instead of video/render bugs, I was wondering if anybody else has the same issue I'm having with the Smart Database Content Editor.  Daz3d changed the interface for adding the Compatibility Bases from a field under Compatibilities to its own tab in the later version of 4.15.   Since them one issue continued from 4.15 and now into 4.16.1 Beta for me, was hoping it was just a fluke but it continues with this new beta.  I can reproduce the results consistantly in both 4.15.0.30 and 4.16 even after reinstalls but not sure if it is something it is interacting in my system or a bug that needs to be reported.

To see if you have the same issue, select a product or items with at least two+ assets and that will have a brand new root compatibility base. 

• Click Compatibility Bases tab, select one of the assets/items, right-click, select "Add Compatibility Base to the Selected File(s)" option. 
    • In the Select a Compatibility Base/Filter screen, select the option to Create a New Root Compatibility Base. (Name it and save/accept)
    • Find your new root compatibility base and add a Sub-Compatibility Base (right-click on the root and select create new sub-compatibility base, name it and save/accept), then select the sub-compatibility base you created and accept it as the compatibility base for the original item.
    • Upon returning to the Content DB Editor after adding the compatibility base, my mouse icon immediately shows the blue swirly icon next to the pointer as if it is thinking but that mouse pointer icon won't go away, even though I can do other things in Content DB window (add more categories, tags, compatibility bases, and compatibilities).  If I accept the changes in the Content DB Editor to return to the library, the swirly icon will sometimes go away but it is hit or miss depending on the amount of sub-compatibility bases created.  If, before closing out of the Content DB Editor, I add another sub-compatibility base to another asset, create the next sub-compatibility base and add it, then when I click through the accept/save prompts and leave the content db editor screens, the swirly icon follows and never goes away within the Daz Studio screens (though the proper pointer shows in other apps, just reappears as soon as I return to DS).  The only way I have found to fix this is exit out of Daz Studio and restart.  This swirly mouse pointer causes some issues with using DS, especially when I want to resize a screen with DS (since DS doesn't remember screen sizing changes on all screens within the Content DB Editor or other DS screens) as the swirly icon poiinter doesn't change to allow the resize icons (horizontal/vertical/diagonal), etc., to show or work.

Anybody else have this or is it my system being weird?

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

I just tested the Beta of 4.16.1.2.

It sees that Ghost Lights are unusuable. With a low opacity, the light looses also on brightness. frown

edited November 2021

gerster said:

It sees that Ghost Lights are unusuable. With a low opacity, the light looses also on brightness. frown

It's either DAZ bug or Iray bug because they do work, they create little artifacts when opacity is set to the one from Ghost Light Kit, but output luminance = set luminance * opacity. If your luminance is less than 100 kcd/m^2 you can just copy opacity and past it like "/ opacity value" in the luminance, if the number is too big it get scuffed. It's pretty stupid whoever made it like this. The artifacts might be due to enormous luminance, bacuse you can get them even in older Iray.

Post edited by VEGA on
  • no__name said:

ragamuffin57 said:

I'm almost certain you need to convert textures to the color space you gonna use. By textures I mean non-data ones, so no normals, no bumps, no roughness, no specular etc.

Except for rec709 which is the regular sRBG one so no convertion needed.  Once convertion done, SSS is the slippy part.

From my testing, if I'm correct (via Pyco) ;

Textures : Input = Utility-Textures-sRGB, output = your color space

Hdri : Input = Utility-Linear-sRGB, output = your color space

For Daz I don't know, never say never, but it's rather niche and need quite some dev-work (and won't bring much money on the table^^). Would be definitely cool tho cool.

Thanks no__name  and for posting your test renders and sharing your observations

You are probably right that Daz will not have the financial insentive to produce a plugin 

Thanks for the link to the pyco colorspaces converter  going to give it a try  

• MeneerWolfman said:

Richard Haseltine said:

MeneerWolfman said:

Richard Haseltine said:

marble said:

It was a good thought, Richard. Unfortunately, only Ghost Lights are Ghost Lights :/ Here's hoping Nvidia reenables them.

Not my good thought, and I may have missed part out but couldsn't find the link when posting. Found it now by searchign for "matte" https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7159656/#Comment_7159656

• VEGA said:

gerster said:

It's either DAZ bug or Iray bug because they do work, they create little artifacts when opacity is set to the one from Ghost Light Kit, but output luminance = set luminance * opacity. If your luminance is less than 100 kcd/m^2 you can just copy opacity and past it like "/ opacity value" in the luminance, if the number is too big it get scuffed. It's pretty stupid whoever made it like this. The artifacts might be due to enormous luminance, bacuse you can get them even in older Iray.

It's by design - the luminance is now multiplied by the alpha, which is physically correct. We can only hope that nVidia see the benefit of the old way of working and reenable it, though soem kind of additional setting I would expect rather than making it the default.

Richard Haseltine said:

VEGA said:

gerster said:

It's by design - the luminance is now multiplied by the alpha, which is physically correct. We can only hope that nVidia see the benefit of the old way of working and reenable it, though soem kind of additional setting I would expect rather than making it the default.

Very poor design choice. I don't know if it's physically correct, never seen light with half opacity, iluminating only one side... If by additional setting you mean big toggle button saying "Ghost Light", then I'm in.

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

Richard Haseltine said:

VEGA said:

gerster said:

can this be addressed with a script of some kind?  pretty much every iray emissive prop or light in the store is going to need to be reworked otherwise.  a scene that was well-lit by candleight in 4.10-4.15 is dark, dark, dark.

this de=lighting effect seems to cut spotlight luminance in something like half, too. 

i haven't seen how the new beta handles daytime HDRs yet.  but so far...i don't think i have a single interior scene that seems likely to render nice light and shadow without issue under this new render model.   ghostlights. X'd.  emissive lights and props. X'd  spotlights, X'd. 

j

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited November 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

It's by design - the luminance is now multiplied by the alpha, which is physically correct.

Just to clarify. I understand that iray is designed by nvidia. But the uber shader is designed by daz, isn't this a uber shader thing ?

Also the uber shader does already allow for a number of non physically correct options, as colored reflections and materials with a high roughness and a high specularity for example. As well as possibly the entire specular/glossiness workflow. And that's one of the difficulties when converting to blender that's more strict as for pbr rules. Are they going to remove those features as well to be physically correct ?

Post edited by Padone on