I want to read .daz files.

booleanNmaresbooleanNmares Posts: 5

Hey there, I'm new, so, well, hello.

I just updated from 4.6 to 4.7. I din't want to do it, I knew it would have been trouble, but I was afraid to lag too much behind.
So, 4.6 was just perfect for me, but I was afraid to be left behind.
Now, I can't no longer open .daz files.

I get the message:

"An error occured while reading the file, see the log file for more details."

Here's part of the log (it won't fit as a whole):

Opening file as_09.daz...
Error setting pointers while reading file E:/OldSys/I/OldSettings/luke/Documenti/Poser/as_09.daz : C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to read memory at address 0x00000000
File read time: 0 min 13.4 sec.
Building Scene...
Ran tdlmake on image C:/Users/Luca/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/textures/3DCelebrity/Tori_V5/Rlight.tif
WARNING: Object::disconnect: No such signal QObject::currentValueChanged() in properties\controllers\dzerclink.cpp:1291
WARNING: Object::disconnect: (sender name: 'CTRLlFingersInOut')
WARNING: Object::disconnect: No such signal QObject::currentValueChanged() in properties\controllers\dzerclink.cpp:1291
WARNING: Object::disconnect: (sender name: 'CTRLlHandFist')
WARNING: Object::disconnect: (sender name: 'CTRLlHandGrasp')
WARNING: Object::disconnect: (sender name: 'CTRLlHandSpread')
WARNING: Object::disconnect: (sender name: 'CTRLlHandStraighten')
WARNING: Object::disconnect: (sender name: 'ZRotate')
WARNING: Object::disconnect: (sender name: 'YRotate')
WARNING: Object::disconnect: (sender name: 'CTRLrFingersInOut')
WARNING: Object::disconnect: (sender name: 'CTRLrHandFist')
WARNING: Object::disconnect: (sender name: 'CTRLrHandGrasp')
[...]
Ran tdlmake on image C:/Users/Luca/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/textures/3DCelebrity/Tori_V5/Tori_Lashes_T.jpg
Ran tdlmake on image C:/Users/Luca/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/textures/3DCelebrity/Tori_V5/Tori_Eyes_C_Hazel.jpg
Ran tdlmake on image C:/Users/Luca/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/textures/3DCelebrity/Tori_V5/Tori_Limbs_S.jpg
Ran tdlmake on image C:/Users/Luca/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/textures/3DCelebrity/Tori_V5/Tori_Eyes_T.jpg
Ran tdlmake on image C:/Users/Luca/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/textures/3DCelebrity/Tori_V5/Tori_Limbs_B.jpg
Ran tdlmake on image C:/Users/Luca/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/textures/3DCelebrity/Tori_V5/Tori_Limbs_C.jpg
Ran tdlmake on image C:/Users/Luca/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/textures/3DCelebrity/Tori_V5/Tori_Eyes_RC.jpg
Ran tdlmake on image C:/Users/Luca/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/textures/3DCelebrity/Tori_V5/Tori_Eyes_B.jpg
Ran tdlmake on image C:/Users/Luca/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Runtime/textures/3DCelebrity/Tori_V5/Tori_Eyes_R.jpg

If I could safely revert to 4.6 to turn every .daz file into a .duf one, I would. But I can't. I just want to be able to open my old .daz files. 4.6 could do it, 4.7 can't: where's the improvement?

I'm sorry to sound polemical, but the world of software is so full of "upgrades" that give new, unneeded features while taking away fundamental backwards compatibility and overall workflow stability. I'm sick of this.

I just want to open my .daz files that were absolutely ok with 4.6. If I can't, then 4.7 is worse than 4.6 and my seemingly unrational fear to update would be validated.

Please don't validate it!

[Are there any DAZ staff to listen to this kind of moaning? Or am I just bothering my fellow users? I hope I'm bothering the developers, I DEMAND backwards compatibility!]

Post edited by fixmypcmike on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, that's a problem with .daz files, which is one of the reasons DS4.5 and up no longer save to that format. I had some of them from 4.0 stop working early in the 4.5.1 releases, and some of the early ones from the first DS betas stopped working in DS3. You could open a support ticket, attaching the.daz file and describing what content you used, but unless you have one of the early DS4.5 releases you can load on another computer, there's not much you can try.

• booleanNmaresbooleanNmares Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Well, thank you very much for your prompt advice, I'l try what I can.

However, I think this is a crazy paradigm of software developement (not just for DAZ, it's widespread crazyness). Every time you see a new version of your software of choice, you have to fear for all your old work. Nobody warns you in time. But then, you risk to skip one update and to make things even worse. Come on!

I think if you could turn .daz into .duf in 4.6, it should be almost-trivial to supply this ability in 4.7... or at least to give a small tool to do so.... Or whoever is in charge just doesn't care? Are new features more important than backard compatibility?

Thanks anyway for the reply, I'll try to submit a ticket.

• Alowe49Alowe49 Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

This worked for me.
    Locate and open the folder with your old files in, either directly or from the Content Library via Right clicking on the file you want and select_Open folder Location. Simply drag a file from that folder into your Viewport, then you can then save it as you wish.
    I had all my old characters and scenes saved in the .daz format and this has worked even with files not visible in the Contents Library of Daz 4.7.
    N.B. - You may have to re-apply the morphs to your characters.

• JQPJQP Posts: 510
    edited September 2015
    Old issue, but it keeps recurring for anyone like me with a lot of old saves they still want to be able to use. I normally use DS 64-bit (4.7 atm), but I find that I can install a different version of DS 32-bit without breaking anything (as far as I know). Currently I have 4.0.3.9 installed, which seems to open the vast majority of my problematic saves. Most of the time, if one of my old files won't open in 4.7, I can open it with the 32-bit install. Then I "rebuild" the scene by saving each figure as a separate scene (a real PITA because there's no save as>subset in the old versions), then importing them into 4.7 and putting it all back together; usually just a matter of fitting the conforming figures again, but if there's a more serious problem, this lets me zero in on exactly where (maybe a parented prop, etc). Kinda sad how poorly this was handled, and how easily new DS versions choke on the entire scene when there's one tiny problem instead of handling errors properly, but this method works for me the vast majority of the time.
    Post edited by JQP on