Virtual Reality

RL_MediaRL_Media Posts: 339
edited November 2021 in The Commons

I know a few of you guys out there are into the whole VR thing. Welp, I just pulled the trigger on a valve index. What is the kind of things I should know, look into getting? REally hoping that I like VR lol. 1500 is a lot of money to gamble with for me.

Post edited by RL_Media on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566

LOL, can't believe you went with one of the more expensive headsets and have never tried VR. You could have gotten the Quest 2 for $299 to try it for the first time, I have an Index also and while great at the time i got it, I hate the base stations and with the Quest 2 having better resolution, I haven't touched it in awhile.

As to what to get, depends on what you are into, sports, shooters, exploring, sci fi, etc. Also single player or social apps. One thing to start off with to experience VR that is free is "the lab" on Steam. It really shows what VR is capable of and some of the games in it are really fun. Things I enjoy lately are Half Life Alyx, Blade and Sorcery, Warplanes WW1 fighters, Boneworks, Lone Echo, Elven Assasin, No Mans Sky, Google Earth VR. If you are into more adult oriented content and want to experience life size DAZ figures in VR, check out Virt-A-Mate on patreon

• RL_MediaRL_Media Posts: 339
    edited November 2021

I don't du business with facebook, or meta lol. After researchin a few days, index seemed like the best option. As of now, I feel like skyrim is probably the only game I will be playing on it. Will have to look into alyx though, as it does come with the bundle I got. Haven't really been a big gamer past few years. Played fallout 4, never finished it, got bored. Did finish cyberpunk once, that was one hell of a game. I got it more for finding new ways to do some arts, like daz studio and stuff. Kodon is looking pretty interesting, and interested in diving into blender in VR for sure.

Basically, I got tired of waiting for GPU prices to come back down from the statusphere, and decided to grab a headset this year instead. Starting a new GPU fund tomorrow lol.

I see, makes sense. I have both fallout4 and Skyrim with the VR mod. it's not as impressive as a game that is actully made for VR, but it gets the job done when it's not glitching. I would love iof Cyberpunk was VR, that would be epic. I like Blender in VR, but until I figure out blender more, it's just a novelty for me, same with Maya and VR.

I really need to dig into getting DS scenes into Unity. it's so easy to view any project in Unioty in VR, just need to figure out getting the DS content intop the project, LOL

edited November 2021

So far, I have found a fan set for headset, and a wall mount for the controller and headset by kiwi design, and a neat pulley system called vr wire 2. For software, vitual desktop, fpvr and ovr toolkit from steam. Haven't pulled the trigger on any of that yet, except the vr wire 2, anyone have experience with them? They sound cool in theory lol.

virtual desktop is a must have IMO and a pulley system was highly praised on most YT channels, although I hever needed one since many of my gamees were not as active at the time.

When i first started, I got a TON of info and help from various YT channels, check some of them out

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThrillSeekerVR

https://www.youtube.com/c/BMFVR

https://www.youtube.com/c/CasChary

https://www.youtube.com/c/Tyrielwood

https://www.youtube.com/c/Uploadvr

https://www.youtube.com/c/mixedrealityTV

https://www.youtube.com/c/SteveKnows

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMD-DgpQ4W27Hd7hs3UXH-Q

Thanks, looking to really start diving in starting tomorrow night lol.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,869

Welcome to the club :) I have an index and use it more than the Quest 2, mainly because I like the extra depth and width I get, it feels less like a diving mask than the quest. \

I installed my lighthouses on the ceiling so they're out of the way, and connected them with the extra long cable that comes with the vive lighthouses, not sure if that's included in the newer versions but if you have a large area then its a good way to cover more space.  One tip - the headset cable can get twisted very quickly - after every play session take the time to untwist the cable from one end to the other so it doesn't get damaged, its really hard to get replacement cables right now.

Half Life Alyx I would leave for a while before playing it - its pretty full on with a lot of jump scares. No Man's Sky is good, especially if you enjoy flying and exploring - lifting off into space that first time is amazing.
    The RoomVR is great especially if you still get motion sick and getting your VR legs, Walkabout Golf is awesome and gets a lot of use, Demeo is great with friends.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1408230/Walkabout_Mini_Golf_VR/
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1484280/Demeo/
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1104380/The_Room_VR_A_Dark_Matter/

If you're looking to create/model in VR then I recommend looking at Gravity Sketch, its free and really well set up.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/551370/Gravity_Sketch/

Tilt Brush is great to play around in too - I made this for a Halloween VR set

cool video Mada! I get bet was quite the experience in VR. My problem with Tiltbrush is I get to immersed in it and waste to much time, LOL

• ainukeainuke Posts: 79

Welcome to VR. 

Alyx is an absolute trip, especially if you're into shooters/slashers like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Extremely immersive experience; being able to *actually* reach around a corner to shoot is next level. 
    I've had the Rift CV1 and the Rift S, and now use the Reverb 2 (but will drop it like a brick when the Index 2 comes out; like the base stations or not, they are the far superior tech over the inside-out camera tracking used by Rift S and Reverb).

Beat Saber is a must-have, especially if you want an "exercise" title. I really wish there were a DAZ VR plug-in, given that Virt-a-Mate is so fleshed out and immersive; would be great to set up scenes in DAZ. 

edited November 2021

Tilt brush is on my list, I seen some comments that made me consider not getting it. For some weird reason I keep getting errors when trying to check out and pay for some stuff at steam. Guess I shouldn't be in too much of a hurry about software, my set didn't even ship yet lol. Still mostly in research mode. Not sure if I am gonna be mobile while using it or not yet, but if I am the pulley system should help a bit. The one I got seems to be a lot more forgiving with twisting issues than the other kiwi one I was considering along with it. It has like more slack to twist if that makes sense.  No man's sky VR is in the cart along with skyrim VR. Thanks for naming that to look at, it looks cool as hell.

Wow, this will be the fourth time I buy skyrim I think. Jeez, I wish they would be like, well, you bought it on 360, pc twice, here have VR free bro lol.

• DandeneDandene Posts: 162

ainuke said:

Beat Saber is a must-have, especially if you want an "exercise" title.

I love Beat Saber.  My brother has a Quest 2 and I picked up Beat Saber during a sale and have no regrets.  My arms get tired out a little quickly though haha.  Moon Rider is an open source VR game fairly similar to Beat Saber, but it's browser based.  I tried it out before diving into Beat Saber just to see if I'd be into that sort of game.  I'm not sure if it's playable on Valve Index, but it makes a decent introduction into VR rhythm games.  

edited November 2021

Steam only downloading at like 35mb/s :(   Also, is it possible to launch steam VR games without the headset connected? I wanna have my skyrim modded and ready to go the second I have it in my hand if possible lol. Gonna go with a wabbajockey list or whatever this time around, because to hell with following a mega STEPS guide for threee months before getting to play :P

Oh sweet, wabbajockey recognized my install without running it, so I can get everything downloaded and ready to go yay.

I'm not sure about Skyrim - most likely yes but you'd have to use a gamepad.  I know for sure you can play No Man's Sky pancake mode - I played it like that for a number of months before getting my headset. :) 

edited November 2021

I wasn't to impressed with Skyrim in VR, maybe because my version isn't modded out. I thought about it, but figured it would bring down my performance in VR like many mods do.

Post edited by FSMCDesigns on

That wabbajack stuff seems to work pretty well I guess. Will know for sure once I get the headset, should be here by friday. The download and install only took like 3 hours(got a month of premium nexus, I heard it could take a day or two without it), beats the living hell out of how long it took me to follow STEPS modlist guide on regular skyrim, took months lol. The ultimate VR modlist has somewhere near 600 mods, I know it's more than 500 lol.

What kind of computer/graphics card do you have? With some of the programs you really have to keep in mind how strong it is - if you have too many mods that's bogging the computer down the side effect can be that it starts affecting your frame rate - and that's a short cut to motion sickness. You're basically rendering geometry and textures to 2 screens strapped to your face, one for each eye.

edited November 2021

Another fun flat screen game that's awesome with a VR mod is Valheim. Standing under the big trees looking around is amazing.
    https://www.valheimgame.com/

The base game is low res but there's high res mods that gives it a skyrim feel - you need a strong computer though.

Post edited by Mada on
    edited December 2021

I have a tuf x570 plus running a ryzen 9 3900X and a RTX 2080 super. Always trying to snatch a 3090 at near normal prices, but not holding my breath on that one lol.

So far, all I really done is skyrim lol. The UVRE version is pretty badass. I am giving myself till 2022 to just play around, then I am gonna get down to business, and start trying to get a good setup for using this headset for arts and stuff.

First hour or so playing, kept almost falling over, especially when a jerk with a hammer kept oneshotting me and knock me clear across the cave lol. This VRIK system is really cool. You can use like real sheathe instead of getting wepons from a menu, and they show up on your avatar thingie. Like daggers strapped to the arm, and bow on your back. It has a cool addon for popup menus too called spell wheel. It like pops up near your hand and you poke what spell or whatever you want to equip. Works with weapons, potions etc too. You can also set up hand gestures to do things, or even use voice commands.

I have watched some dexter episodes on a virtual desktop environment I bought, it's a giant imax type screen, that is cool.

RL_Media said:

I have a tuf x570 plus running a ryzen 9 3900X and a RTX 2080 super. Always trying to snatch a 3090 at near normal prices, but not holding my breath on that one lol.

So far, all I really done is skyrim lol. The UVRE version is pretty badass. I am giving myself till 2022 to just play around, then I am gonna get down to business, and start trying to get a good setup for using this headset for arts and stuff.

First hour or so playing, kept almost falling over, especially when a jerk with a hammer kept oneshotting me and knock me clear across the cave lol. This VRIK system is really cool. You can use like real sheathe instead of getting wepons from a menu, and they show up on your avatar thingie. Like daggers strapped to the arm, and bow on your back. It has a cool addon for popup menus too called spell wheel. It like pops up near your hand and you poke what spell or whatever you want to equip. Works with weapons, potions etc too. You can also set up hand gestures to do things, or even use voice commands.

I have watched some dexter episodes on a virtual desktop environment I bought, it's a giant imax type screen, that is cool.

Look up Blade and Sorcery on youtube and check out the gameplay, it's a workout.

FSMCDesigns said:

Look up Blade and Sorcery on youtube and check out the gameplay, it's a workout.

Even just mele in skyrim scares me. I think I need to buy some kind or area rug or mat to keep track of where I am, and make sure I don't put a hole in somethin or break a finger/toe on my solid ass desk lol. I only have a ~5 by 8 foot area of room unfortunately.

• I do want to oneday jump onto the VR bandwagon but not if it involves the Metaverse.

The more I read about the latter the more dystopian it sounds.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-26/why-are-people-buying-up-real-estate-in-the-metaverse/100685246?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=link&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

now they are selling virtual realestate, I know Secondlife Lindens set the precedent but this is shaping up to be another way the very rich can relieve us of even more of our money. crying

A carpet helps, and I also stick a fan in one corner so I can orient myself without lifting the headset up :)

• I agree with WendyLuvsCatz the Metavers thing will be one BIG money grab.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

andrushuk1 said:

I agree with WendyLuvsCatz the Metavers thing will be one BIG money grab.

Micro transactions and focusing on online play as the main feature is what really killed video gaming for me. I don't want to buy designer hoodies for my characters and I don't want to play with other people... literally playing video games was an escape from real people... and most of my favorite franchises have been irrevocably ruined by micro transactions and focusing on online gaming... the last Fallout was a perfect example.

Whenever you complain about that, inevitably someone will tell you "You don't have to play online or buy the stuff"... yeah, but the non-online storyline or gameplay is always hobbled or limited in some way by the focus on the online version... in some cases it feels like you only get half the story... 

It's pretty much the mainstream big name studios that have been the ones ruining everything... especially the ones we've seen making headlines (at least tech related headlines) for mistreating their employees, which is another thing that bothers me... I don't want to buy games from companies that nickel and dime you for everything, are making money hand over fist, and still treat their employees who are the real talent behind the games, like garbage, and in some cases actively coerce and exploit them.

I see some hope in the way some of the newer independent studios operate, both in regards to customers and employees, but it's just inevitable that once they get profitable or big enough, they'll be bought out by clowns who'll just do what they did to the other big studios.

The little guys often start out with vision, storytelling and art, and eventually success brings them to becoming a hollowed out husk being controlled by money grubbing chumps who know, nor care anything about the games themselves, just the flow of cash to their bank accounts.

VR and the Metaverse is actively readying itself to emulate all negative stuff from the regular internet and video gaming.

With VR, you see all the techno-investment bros salivating, planning and bragging about how they they are going to do the same, before it's even gone mainstream... seriously, it's got a really gross vibe already.

Granted, it's probably just me that sees that, I read financial news, financial tech news and regular tech news... you tend to hear a lot of individuals at the top laying out their plans for financial glory and it's really depressing.

There also is a lot of talk about unionization in the video game industry, and even though unions often suck as much as the jerks running the companies, at least it's some form of keeping that greed and exploitation in check.

I hope something changes, because everywhere you look, there are greedy entities poised to exploit the riches of the VR Metaverse from it's very inception, unlike anything that was done with the regular Internet or video gaming in its early stages.

Thats sad to me... I really love technology, but people keep effing it up or screwing up the experience with their greed and toxicity.

That all said, there are lots of good people out there, with good ideas and I hope they eventually get the upper hand in this.

Thats pretty sappy, but you gotta hope for some change towards a better future.

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

@McGyver I have the same frustrations with the direction Bethesda Games has taken, but they are supposed to be working on more traditional Elder Scrolls and Fallout games that are single player. I have no idea if they will include micro transactions. I hope not.

There are other good games out there. If you are interested in Swords and Sorcery and don't need full 3d graphics if the gameplay is good, I would suggest the Geneforge Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. They are all available on both Steam and GOG. There are other good games out there, but it takes searching and luck to find them.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,472

Another Fallout (1-3) and Oblivion fan here, have spent hundreds of hours on each but no longer finding the new games interesting due to the online thing and the focus being in fighting/killing everything (somebody seriously needs to see a shrink).

andrushuk1 said:

I agree with WendyLuvsCatz the Metavers thing will be one BIG money grab.

True, but everything in life relies on money to work. As long as there are options and alternatives, which there usually are, I am not bothered by it. I was very anti Quest 2 for awhile just because it is owned by FB and I knew the only reason they were releasing a headset for so cheap was they planned to make up the cost with data mining and I had to have an account to use it, BUT I have had no issues with the headset or it's use, I get constant updates, no spam and I have yet to post anything on the FB account I created to use it. Besides, there are numerous options to get into VR other than the Quest line and I have those also, so win win.

My biggest issue is game development. Do devs target PCVR or Quest 2 VR with metaverse support. Most devs won't have the resources to do both and the Quest 2 is the biggest consumer market at the moment. This is just like the old PC vs console debate and for a long time the consoles won out and PC game dev suffered badly.

Are you guys seriously turning another thread toxic. Some of us were having a nice discussion about playing games in virtual reality. I get that you don't like it, it's been hammered in every thread, but please leave some threads for us to have a nice discussion without wading through pages of posts about why you hate something. It's making the forums unpleasant.

• This certainly isn't the thread for discussing NFTs or cyptocurrencies.

• Mada said:

Are you guys seriously turning another thread toxic. Some of us were having a nice discussion about playing games in virtual reality. I get that you don't like it, it's been hammered in every thread, but please leave some threads for us to have a nice discussion without wading through pages of posts about why you hate something. It's making the forums unpleasant.

can you really not separate the Metaverse from VR?

I was pretty clear in my post that I am interested in VR but just brought up the Metaverse as it is the Thing being pushed for VR particulary by Facebook with their set which requires having Facebook.

I just chose an appropriate thread for it as starting new threads is frowned upon and chosing where to post something is difficult, it is a VR news article that came in my Australian Broadcast news feed.

I did not mention the other thing at all!

is everything you embrace off the table?

don't worry I won't post in your thread wink

I have been very interested in and discussed the possibility of DAZ being useable with VR headsets for literally years

my extremely low invome is the only reason I don't have the hardware 

I finally was able to afford a working refrigerator last month after being a year without in Australian heat!

and Richard I never mentioned the other thing!