Is Limbstick the IK tool Daz has been missing?

13»

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,666

kwannie said:

I purchased Limbstick but I keep getting the "Error Opening File" dialogue box and Log File says  Script won't load error in both DS 4.14.08 pro 64bit  DS 4.12.1.117 pro 64bit (public build).

I tried the script on G3 figures as well as G8 and get the same error each time. I am selecting the node on the figure and then the target the run the script but still error each time. Does anyone know what the issue could be?

How did you install? 

• Yesterday I redid a shot with this for the film I'm working on and before I had the hardest time keeping the girl's hand on her hip as she was talking. A couple of clicks to use Limbstick and her hand stayed perfectly in place. Man this is an awesome script! 

• kwanniekwannie Posts: 865

Felis I installed through Install Manager.

Would it work better if installed manually?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,480

kwannie said:

I think the questions are,
    You didn't install it within DS did you? (in 'Smart Content') and
    You don't log in/sign in to DS do you?

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited December 2021

PerttiA said:

kwannie said:

I downloaded mine through the product library https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files & then unzipped files & installed maunally   i had no issue, its working fine for me   the files are loaded within the content folder there no outside folders in the appdata or anything, so I don't see where there be any issue.. even though it loads in daz 4.12.0.85 for me just fine.  It maybe still the version of daz studio your using. it says supported version 4.16    that be the only problem I would see

Capture.JPG
    577 x 235 - 16K
    Post edited by Ivy on

Ivy said:

PerttiA said:

kwannie said:

I downloaded mine through the product library https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files & then unzipped files & installed maunally   i had no issue, its working fine for me   the files are loaded within the content folder there no outside folders in the appdate or anything, so I don't see where there be any issue anyway. even though it loads in daz 4.12.0.85 for me just fine.  It maybe still the version of daz studio your using. it syas supoort version 4.16    that be the only problem I would see

The problem is that if it's been installed/also installed within DS ('Smart' Content) the files will not be installed in the directories where DIM and manual installation would put them but to a completely different, non-traditional location (with data\cloud on the path), this installation also steals priority over DIM installations, even when they didn't work due to the location and while the DIM installation would be fully operational.

benniewoodell said:

Yesterday I redid a shot with this for the film I'm working on and before I had the hardest time keeping the girl's hand on her hip as she was talking. A couple of clicks to use Limbstick and her hand stayed perfectly in place. Man this is an awesome script! 

Hi Bennie  it works wonderful for plastering the feet to the ground level.   I had some issue with some karate combo aniblocks for genesis 8 with the feet kept dipping below the floor level on a flip.&  I could not get the script to work with the aniblock.  So

I bake the aniblock into the timeline and then set up the right foot then the left, ran the script re-baked the animation with the corrections bingo now the feet are planted nicely .  wow what a time saver.

but I found working with aniblocks I discovered I got to either bake the animation into the timeline or save the aniblock as a animated preset. first. otherwise the script doesn't work with aniblocks  like it does for animation presets or hand keyframe animations. I think you need to translate the animation from the animate2 timeline to to the daz timeline for it to work properly . But simply baking the aniblock was a great solution ..  Really great script glad I got it now

No, I didn't install within DS, I installed through the Install Manager (DM)

Would it screw anything up if I go ahead and try a maual install?

PerttiA said:

Ivy said:

PerttiA said:

kwannie said:

I downloaded mine through the product library https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files & then unzipped files & installed maunally   i had no issue, its working fine for me   the files are loaded within the content folder there no outside folders in the appdate or anything, so I don't see where there be any issue anyway. even though it loads in daz 4.12.0.85 for me just fine.  It maybe still the version of daz studio your using. it syas supoort version 4.16    that be the only problem I would see

The problem is that if it's been installed/also installed within DS ('Smart' Content) the files will not be installed in the directories where DIM and manual installation would put them but to a completely different, non-traditional location (with data\cloud on the path), this installation also steals priority over DIM installations, even when they didn't work due to the location and while the DIM installation would be fully operational.

I see

I install everything manually & I don't log studio in,  I don't let studio phone home to use Daz Connect or DIM & smart content  its to smart for me to figure out .  That why I said I can't see why he would have any issues installing it manually to his content folder. it worked for me doing it that way.  The other ways of installing I don't use, nor have any opinion on so I cant say if they work or not using other methods . sorry for the misunderstanding

kwannie said:

No, I didn't install within DS, I installed through the Install Manager (DM)

Would it screw anything up if I go ahead and try a maual install?

You didn't answer, do you log in/sign in to DS or do you use it in offline mode?
    I'm asking because many have been fooled into installing content within DS, without them even realizing it.

No, installing manually will not screw anything up if done correctly, instructions attached 

InstallContent.JPG
    793 x 1120 - 226K

No, I do not log into DAZ within DS, but I do sign in using the DM. You cannot download anything through DM unless you sign in.

Do I need to uninstall Limbstick through DM before doing a manual install with a zip file.

I assume that the versions of DS that I listed above are Okay to use with Limbstick since nobody mention that that could be the problem.

• kwannie said:

No, I do not log into DAZ within DS, but I do sign in using the DM. You cannot download anything through DM unless you sign in.

Do I need to uninstall Limbstick through DM before doing a manual install with a zip file.

I assume that the versions of DS that I listed above are Okay to use with Limbstick since nobody mention that that could be the problem.

Try right-clicking on the script in Daz Studio and select Browse to File Location - where do you end up?

• Well, it doesn't work in 4.12.0.86,.but it does work in 4.15.0.13 beta for me. I hate animating in 4.15 though, so not sure if this is worth keeping unless I can figure out some way to make it work with 4.12. Someone mentioned that you can edit the dse file? how is that done?

edited December 2021

My first posted short demo of using limb stick this is a super awesome product

Created and rendered in daz stuio 4.12  took 4 hours from start to finsh

click to view on vimeo  https://vimeo.com/653255463

Post edited by Ivy on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Ivy said:

Nice demo. Now make tracks in the sand and I'll be blown away ;) 

edited December 2021

marble said:

Ivy said:

Nice demo. Now make tracks in the sand and I'll be blown away ;) 

Indeed Right.    smiley

I have nerds3d dust & trail tool . Its old but still pretty good & it still works in daz studio.  but it only works in 3delight & it can't be converted to iray unforunetly because of the way the 1000 bill boards are set up to form the trail   Other wise i properly could make tracks and a dust trail too in the demo. 

2.jpg
    2958 x 927 - 273K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • For tracks in Iray one can use Materia Meshmaker by AM

Manual can be found in the first post here: Forum link.

Images for tracks, some links found here: Forum link.

edited December 2021

You can do tracks manually using photoshop 1 png/jpg at a time in post work but it be very time consuming take you months . its how a lot of big studios usually do special effects in post work.

I wish this was still available for you guys. https://hivewire3d.com/shop/shop-by-artist/nerd3d/footsteps-tool.html it still works in daz studio in spite that it is a old .daz file format.  but its 3delight only & there is no way to convert it to work for iray , The way its set up  the bill boards & foot step props that create the tracks use trans maps.  Nerds3d never made this available in his rendo store either sad 

I got it when Nerd use to be a PA here back in 2010

Post edited by Ivy on
  • you might be able to with FLUIDOS

I have used particles to make tracks in Carrara but not done so often

• DiscipleDisciple Posts: 76

Hello.  Latecomer to the Limbstick community here.  Has anybody seen this happening?

It's a simple by-the-book scenario, sticking M8's feet to a floor node.  I keyframe his hip and process.  The script generates the rotate keyframes that stabilize the feet.  So far, so good, but tweaks are needed, of course.  I delete the generated keyframes and tweak, then execute the script again.  It's a cycle, adjust the start pose and keyframes until I get the script-created rotations I want.  That's all fine, but a weird error starts appearing.

You can see it in graphMate, motion curves that run right off the chart. Image attached.  One of the left foot bend keyframes has been assigned a tension that displays as 100.0 in graphMate, but I believe that's only the highest printable value.  I suspect the real value is more like floating-point infinity, because moving the time pointer anywhere within that curve makes D|S immediately either freeze or crash.  Off-the-chart keyframes show up in all the processed leg nodes, even scale keyframes.  Manually assigning all keyframe tensions to 0.0 prevents the crashes, but that also clears any tension numbers I may have adjusted.

I'm using 4.20.0.2 in Win10, running offline.  Limbstick generates pretty good rotation keyframe values, but the tension glitch makes me nervous.  I have to keep checking whether D|S is in danger of crashing from time to time.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Hallelujah!
    Disciple

GraphErrorScreencap01.jpg
    1415 x 608 - 263K
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited January 2023

I now use Limbstick quite a lot but there are times when it becomes difficult to adjust anything in the animation once Libstick has been run. I think this is because the keyframes it creates are applied to the whole figure, not just the limbs (hands and/or feet). I just had a scene where I wanted the hand to rest on a couch for the whole animation. After I had rendered the animation I saw there was something wrong (the glutes had a gap to the couch seat) so I went back to the timeline and applied a posing morph to close the gap. However, I found that didn't work for the whole timeline because Limbstick had created keyframes that are applied to the whole figure every couple of frames along the timeline.

Am I missing a trick here? Also, is there a way to reverse (remove) the keyframes created by the Limbstick script?

Post edited by marble on
  • mikethe3dguymikethe3dguy Posts: 515
    edited April 2023

I've used LimbStick a couple times in the past successfully, but I'm stymied now by what I thought would be a pretty straight-up application. It's a 30 frame animation of a G8.1F doing a pull-up. Starts at the bottom of the movement, going to the top (chin over bar) at frame 15 and then back down to frame 30 in the same position at frame 0. At first I tried having Limbstick animate the arm movements entirely, but that ended up with the arms in a very unnatural position. So I carefully posed the figure at frames 1, 7, 15, 23 and 30 to try and force the script to use typical "chinning" arm movements, doing my best to get her hands in close to identical positions. I then tried processing the whole range with Limbstick, selecting the two hands and then the pullup bar. Here are the results:

If I try to process the whole range from 0 to 30 I get this warning:

DONE! 
    LimbStick finished with the following warnings:
    Genesis 8.1F:Left Hand
      ● [1-30] → Limb cannot extend far enough to reach target
    Genesis 8.1F:Right Hand
      ● [1-30] → Limb cannot extend far enough to reach target
     SUGGESTION 
    - To resolve the limb extension issue, try adjust your scene so that the limbs are closer to the target throughout the animation.

After LimbStick processing, the hands move quite a few inches away from the bar, so I undo and try again. The limbs CAN extend far enough to reach the hand positions on the bar. I can pose it myself, and DID. Just not with enough precision to keep the hands from moving/sliding. Even at the bottom position - the furthest away from the bar, the forearms are slightly bent.

If I limit the processing range to frames 7 to 23, where the body is closest to the bar, LimbStick processes quickly without warning or error message, but starting at frame 8, her lower arms are now INSIDE her upper arms, with the hands positioned as if the bar were right underneath her chin through the whole range.

Is there any way to make this work? Any suggestions?

Post edited by mikethe3dguy on
  • benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,903

Honestly, limbstick is a crapshoot on if it'll work on things like you're talking about here. What you could try is to move the bar up and down and don't pose the arms, and run limbstick and it might work better, and then parent the camera and environment to the bar and it should look like that's in place while the character would go up and down. That might not work, it's 1am, but in my mind I see it working lol.  

edited April 2023

benniewoodell said:

Honestly, limbstick is a crapshoot on if it'll work on things like you're talking about here. What you could try is to move the bar up and down and don't pose the arms, and run limbstick and it might work better, and then parent the camera and environment to the bar and it should look like that's in place while the character would go up and down. That might not work, it's 1am, but in my mind I see it working lol.  

Well that's an idea worth trying at least. While waiting I animated enough keyframes manually to get the basic movement done, and it looks great, except of course for the hands which jitter quite a bit. If I had to I could probably eventually get it "acceptable" with a lot of work, but I'll give your suggestion a try first. Thanks!

Although thinking again about it, when you say "don't pose the arms" that implies a single start frame where she's holding the bar, letting LimbStick fill in the rest. If I do that I'm pretty sure it will end up with the same awkward arm positioning I saw on my first attempt. And even worse: I wouldn't be able to simulate animated dForce hair movement after finishing, which was to be the final step.

mikethe3dguy said:

benniewoodell said:

Well that's an idea worth trying at least. While waiting I animated enough keyframes manually to get the basic movement done, and it looks great, except of course for the hands which jitter quite a bit. If I had to I could probably eventually get it "acceptable" with a lot of work, but I'll give your suggestion a try first. Thanks!

Although thinking again about it, when you say "don't pose the arms" that implies a single start frame where she's holding the bar, letting LimbStick fill in the rest. If I do that I'm pretty sure it will end up with the same awkward arm positioning I saw on my first attempt. And even worse: I wouldn't be able to simulate animated dForce hair movement after finishing, which was to be the final step.

Yeah, you're right, it would probably give you the wonky arms. Sorry, it was late last night and in my mind it would work. I've had limbstick make an arm look like it was opening a window before just fine, but yeah, there are moments where it doesn't keep the arms in a good position. But you should be able to still animate the dForce hair, I do that all the time without an issue. 

Another option is to use Blender. Get diffeomorphic, make the rig Simple IK, and then you can animate the character in Blender going up and down and save the keyframes as a pose. Then you can bring the animation back into Daz, merge it to the character, and it works perfectly and you don't have to deal with this mess of trying to get something similar to proper IK to work animating in Daz. Good luck with your shot! 

edited April 2023

Yeah, you're right, it would probably give you the wonky arms. Sorry, it was late last night and in my mind it would work. I've had limbstick make an arm look like it was opening a window before just fine, but yeah, there are moments where it doesn't keep the arms in a good position. But you should be able to still animate the dForce hair, I do that all the time without an issue. 

Another option is to use Blender. Get diffeomorphic, make the rig Simple IK, and then you can animate the character in Blender going up and down and save the keyframes as a pose. Then you can bring the animation back into Daz, merge it to the character, and it works perfectly and you don't have to deal with this mess of trying to get something similar to proper IK to work animating in Daz. Good luck with your shot! 

Well, but if the figure isn't actually moving up and down there will be no motion for dForce to react to - it'll just hang in a static pose. Yeah, Blender would really be the best solution. I haven't cracked that nut yet - just tapped the shell from the outside! Not this time, but definitely the next frontier! For now I'm tweaking hand position the best I can.

mikethe3dguy said:

Well, but if the figure isn't actually moving up and down there will be no motion for dForce to react to - it'll just hang in a static pose. Yeah, Blender would really be the best solution. I haven't cracked that nut yet - just tapped the shell from the outside! Not this time, but definitely the next frontier! For now I'm tweaking hand position the best I can.

Oh my gosh, I'm shaking my head right now at myself as I'm realizing the dforce wouldn't work with the character stationary and the arms moving. Whoo boy, I think I need some rest. 

Yeah, look into blender. I'm doing a film right now that half I'm doing in blender and half in daz (only because stonemasons render settings look wonderful for the scene and it doesn't look the same in cycles), but I'm doing the simple IK rig and bringing the keys over and it looks really good. 

•  

Oh my gosh, I'm shaking my head right now at myself as I'm realizing the dforce wouldn't work with the character stationary and the arms moving. Whoo boy, I think I need some rest. 

Yeah, look into blender. I'm doing a film right now that half I'm doing in blender and half in daz (only because stonemasons render settings look wonderful for the scene and it doesn't look the same in cycles), but I'm doing the simple IK rig and bringing the keys over and it looks really good. 

That sounds interesting - I'd love to see it when done! Good luck with it and thanks for the suggestions!