Reality Plugin End-of-life notice

Comments

• nonesuch00 said:

pciccone said:

That is very cool. I will be available to help you make sense of all the details of the build system. If you need to contact me directly, use [email protected]

Thank you. I will definately help if DanielBui asks (many devs like to go into a "all alone work mode" which I understand completely, it's not easy and it's error prone in any circumstance) but I, like you, am even rustier in development and integrating all the pieces of these large build enviroments but I'm starting now, just in case he does want extra help. Like you, it's not that I can't, it's that I haven't in a even longer while and it's a big undertaking.

I apologize if I implied that I was volunteering myself to work on this alone.  For me, this can only be a 100% team-effort.  I'm happy to contribute when I have time and post my insights.  I'm hoping very much that other people here are willing to do the same.  I've tried to read through the Reailty source code a couple times since Paolo first open-sourced it, but have been limited by not being able to build the dependecy libraries.  I think I need to step through with a source-code level debugger for my brain to fully understand what's going on.  Thanks again for posting the full source-code.  If I make progress on the build environment, I'll post it to Github.  But it does seem like we are missing pre-compiled dependency libraries for Windows.

@pciccone: Thanks for posting the details on Reality and your offer to help.  I will definitely contact you if I get stuck.

@nonesuchoo: Also, I would go ahead and install the Daz Store version of Reality.  It's unlikely for it to cause issues with another version with the DRM-removed.

VirgoRival said:

(and was still hoping for a response to my question about the opencl.dll fix, i think i understand but i don't want to break my reality attempting to pull my card out again o n o;)

If you are able to launch and use Reality, then you probably do not have a problem related to OpenCL.DLL.  The OpenCL.DLL error is related to version of the OpenCL 3.0 DLL that is somehow incompatible with Windows Kernel.dll's LoadLibrary( ) function.  Attempting to load the library with this function results in an exception error within the kernel.dll and immediate "crash to desktop".  But since Reality calls this function before any GUI pops up, it just looks like nothing happens when you try to run the EXE or launch Reailty from the Daz Studio plugin. 

Anyway, if you or anyone else thinks they might have this problem, then you can diagnose and work-around it by doing the following steps:

1. Open the Windows Explorer to the folder containing the Reality EXE file.
    2. Confirm that nothing happens when you double click the Reality EXE file.
    3. Right-click in the empty space of the folder and select New -> Text Document.
    4. Rename the "New Text Document.txt" to "OpenCL.DLL".  ( If you do not see the ".txt" at the end of the "New Text Document.txt" then you will need to show file extensions: on the Windows Explorer main menu, click "View", then search for the "File name extensions" checkbox and enable it. )
    5. Double-click the Reality EXE file again.  If it starts up, then you have confirmed that the OpenCL.DLL installed in your Windows System folder or somewhere in your Windows Path is causing Reality EXE to crash.
    6. Leave this fake "OpenCL.DLL" file in your Reality EXE folder.  It will prevent Reality from looking up information about your GPU, but as long as your LuxRender EXE is in a different folder (which it is by default), then LuxRender should still be able to use the real OpenCL DLL to find your GPU and render your scene.

FYI, the reason the fake "OpenCL.DLL" works is because Reality was designed to check for OpenCL, and if it doesn't exist or has an error, to continue functioning without it.

My attempts to use YaLuxPlugin has...not given me any confidence and I wish to continue to use LuxRender 1.6 if it means I can have more control 

Feel free to post any feedback you might have on the yaluxplug thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/499531/open-source-release-daz-render-plugin-framework-with-yet-another-lux-plugin#latest ; But no worries if you that's not your thing: Somtimes I just want to review-bomb something without having to fill out long surveys as to why I it a 0/10. hehe wink

@OmniFlux: Thanks for volunteering to take over the domain and keep the server running!

• If you are able to launch and use Reality, then you probably do not have a problem related to OpenCL.DLL. 

The reason for this was because i had reinstalled my AMD card under my new Nvidia card with No drivers for the AMD installed.

For some reason i couldn't explain other then the default drivers for AMD that came with Windows 10 seems to allow Reality to open, which was the fix i ran with.

But of course having the card in the system (i think it had updated the video drivers at some point) I believe is causing System instability and want to take it out

Thanks for the instructions!
    I had assume that's what the procedure was but i didn't want to pull out my card and attempt to do this fix and find out i did something wrong
    (I had to run windows restore point to get the house of cards settings i have now to get reality back lol)

and if you don't mind, I will start documenting issues i am having with YaLux as a whole. I will have to compare it to my experience with Reality/Luxrender

if that isn't going to be an issue

I hope to migrate if Reality issue isn't resolved, seeing developing plug in for LuxCoreRender has me excited and i'd love to help with it in any way i can.
    But i guess i just have a specific expectations of it that isn't being fulfilled is more of a me problem and don't want to make it yours, But if helps in the long run

I'd love be around to give feedback 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

danielbui78 said:

nonesuch00 said:

pciccone said:

That is very cool. I will be available to help you make sense of all the details of the build system. If you need to contact me directly, use [email protected]

Thank you. I will definately help if DanielBui asks (many devs like to go into a "all alone work mode" which I understand completely, it's not easy and it's error prone in any circumstance) but I, like you, am even rustier in development and integrating all the pieces of these large build enviroments but I'm starting now, just in case he does want extra help. Like you, it's not that I can't, it's that I haven't in a even longer while and it's a big undertaking.

I apologize if I implied that I was volunteering myself to work on this alone.  For me, this can only be a 100% team-effort.  I'm happy to contribute when I have time and post my insights.  I'm hoping very much that other people here are willing to do the same.  I've tried to read through the Reailty source code a couple times since Paolo first open-sourced it, but have been limited by not being able to build the dependecy libraries.  I think I need to step through with a source-code level debugger for my brain to fully understand what's going on.  Thanks again for posting the full source-code.  If I make progress on the build environment, I'll post it to Github.  But it does seem like we are missing pre-compiled dependency libraries for Windows.

@pciccone: Thanks for posting the details on Reality and your offer to help.  I will definitely contact you if I get stuck.

@nonesuchoo: Also, I would go ahead and install the Daz Store version of Reality.  It's unlikely for it to cause issues with another version with the DRM-removed.

VirgoRival said:

(and was still hoping for a response to my question about the opencl.dll fix, i think i understand but i don't want to break my reality attempting to pull my card out again o n o;)

If you are able to launch and use Reality, then you probably do not have a problem related to OpenCL.DLL.  The OpenCL.DLL error is related to version of the OpenCL 3.0 DLL that is somehow incompatible with Windows Kernel.dll's LoadLibrary( ) function.  Attempting to load the library with this function results in an exception error within the kernel.dll and immediate "crash to desktop".  But since Reality calls this function before any GUI pops up, it just looks like nothing happens when you try to run the EXE or launch Reailty from the Daz Studio plugin. 

Anyway, if you or anyone else thinks they might have this problem, then you can diagnose and work-around it by doing the following steps:

1. Open the Windows Explorer to the folder containing the Reality EXE file.
    2. Confirm that nothing happens when you double click the Reality EXE file.
    3. Right-click in the empty space of the folder and select New -> Text Document.
    4. Rename the "New Text Document.txt" to "OpenCL.DLL".  ( If you do not see the ".txt" at the end of the "New Text Document.txt" then you will need to show file extensions: on the Windows Explorer main menu, click "View", then search for the "File name extensions" checkbox and enable it. )
    5. Double-click the Reality EXE file again.  If it starts up, then you have confirmed that the OpenCL.DLL installed in your Windows System folder or somewhere in your Windows Path is causing Reality EXE to crash.
    6. Leave this fake "OpenCL.DLL" file in your Reality EXE folder.  It will prevent Reality from looking up information about your GPU, but as long as your LuxRender EXE is in a different folder (which it is by default), then LuxRender should still be able to use the real OpenCL DLL to find your GPU and render your scene.

FYI, the reason the fake "OpenCL.DLL" works is because Reality was designed to check for OpenCL, and if it doesn't exist or has an error, to continue functioning without it.

My attempts to use YaLuxPlugin has...not given me any confidence and I wish to continue to use LuxRender 1.6 if it means I can have more control 

Feel free to post any feedback you might have on the yaluxplug thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/499531/open-source-release-daz-render-plugin-framework-with-yet-another-lux-plugin#latest ; But no worries if you that's not your thing: Somtimes I just want to review-bomb something without having to fill out long surveys as to why I it a 0/10. hehe wink

@OmniFlux: Thanks for volunteering to take over the domain and keep the server running!

OK, I changed my mind & decided to see if I can help as you & OmniFlux also seem ready to work on this. Also, TheMysteryIsThePoint will likely join in.

I will be working a few hours this week on on getting the code to compile on my computer. Not sure if I will get results but that's OK. Hopefully I won't blow the whole weekend on it as I do have a lot of other non-computer work to do too.

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 362

Just to let everyone know where I am on this and where I'm headed

• Website
      • This will continue to respond to Reality so anyone using the current versions will continue to work
      • Unsure of anything else at this point
        • Would like to keep ACSEL working
        • Documentation
    • Code
      • I can build and run on Windows
      • I am currently reworking the CMake configuration requiring a minimum of CMake 3.21
        • The new version is much easier to read and modify
        • Makes hardcoded paths in the development environment easier to update
        • Simplifies the build process
      • Need to remove some unused content and rearrange a few things
      • Need to get dependencies sorted out (I have everything working, but it needs to be cleaned up)
      • Will push to GitHub at this point
      • Need to update dependencies to current versions
      • Add simplified instructions for setting up a build environment

I am hopefully only a few days out from this point.

Once that is done, here are the things I am aware of that need to be done

• Code
      • Remove authentication requirement (simple)
      • Fix OpenCL issue (I have a theory on what the issue is)
      • Increase seperation between Reality plugin and Reality-lib
        • Reality plugin must be QT4 for DS 4.x but QT5+ for DS 5.x
        • Update non plugin portion of Reality to QT5+
      • Duplicate and update Poser addon to Python 3 for Poser 12+

Not sure I'll have time for the QT and Python items in the near term.

Things I currently cannot do

• Build for OS X
    • Test Poser addon
  • If i may interject

Ther is one minor issue i have pointed out in fourms past in reality and it was never adressed

I do not know if this is something that can be looked at while this is going on, and its alil selfish for me to ask

But one nagging issue is how Reality seems to export geometry, seems to miss some vertices? normals? (i'm very amature when it comes to this 3d stuff on this level)

which results in errors in some large surfaces
    i don't want to start requesting fixes if isn't going to be any kind of priorty after the fix of the Authentication to continue support for Reality

besides that, i really want to thank you guys for really stepping up for Reality/Luxrender/LuxCoreRender
    you guys are awesome <3

Omniflux said:

Just to let everyone know where I am on this and where I'm headed

• Website
      • This will continue to respond to Reality so anyone using the current versions will continue to work
      • Unsure of anything else at this point
        • Would like to keep ACSEL working
        • Documentation
    • Code
      • I am currently reworking the CMake configuration requiring a minimum of CMake 3.21
        • The new version is much easier to read and modify
        • Makes hardcoded paths in the development environment easier to update
        • Simplifies the build process
      • Need to remove some unused content and rearrange a few things
      • Need to get dependencies sorted out (I have everything working, but it needs to be cleaned up)
      • Need to update dependencies to current versions
      • Add simplified instructions for setting up a build environment

I am hopefully only a few days out from this point.

Once that is done, here are the things I am aware of that need to be done

• Code
      • Remove authentication requirement (simple)
      • Fix OpenCL issue (I have a theory on what the issue is)
      • Increase seperation between Reality plugin and Reality-lib
        • Reality plugin must be QT4 for DS 4.x but QT5+ for DS 5.x
        • Update non plugin portion of Reality to QT5+
      • Duplicate and update Poser addon to Python 3 for Poser 12+

Not sure I'll have time for the QT and Python items in the near term.

• Build for OS X
    • Test Poser addon

LOL, super! Thanks, I could really use a reliable way to render on AMD (and maybe Intel GPUs). I guess I can now spend the weekend doing other things instead as there is no sense proceeding if you're going to finish 90% of it before I get back up to speed. 

I'll have to install it but I can test for Poser 11.2 Windows which is the 1st version that Renderosity patched after buying it from Smith Micro. I won't have a Apple machine until Aug or Sep 2022 though sorry.

My test platform: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G (Radeon Vega 8 integrated), 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Windows 11 patch to current date. DAZ Studio 4.16.1.6 Publc Beta, DAZ Studio 4.16.0.3 Release, Poser 11.2

VirgoRival said:

If i may interject

Ther is one minor issue i have pointed out in fourms past in reality and it was never adressed

I do not know if this is something that can be looked at while this is going on, and its alil selfish for me to ask

But one nagging issue is how Reality seems to export geometry, seems to miss some vertices? normals? (i'm very amature when it comes to this 3d stuff on this level)

i don't want to start requesting fixes if isn't going to be any kind of priorty after the fix of the Authentication to continue support for Reality

besides that, i really want to thank you guys for really stepping up for Reality/Luxrender/LuxCoreRender
    you guys are awesome <3

If it's possible when OmniFlux uploads the version of modern updated build environment version of Reality with the DRM stripped you should mention this bug again and upload 1 or more example scenes with this bug to test with. There is a decent chance I have all the products you've used, if they were purchased from DAZ 3D or Renderosity. If there is a bunch of freebies in the scene you'd need to upload the freebies too so the scene could be opened.

• Thank you OmniFlux for taking on the server for Reality.

• danielbui78danielbui78 Posts: 333
    edited December 2021

Omniflux said:

• Build for OS X
    • Test Poser addon

I can build for OSX.  Really great stuff happening!  Thanks!

Post edited by danielbui78 on
  • nonesuch00 said:

VirgoRival said:

If i may interject

you guys are awesome <3

If it's possible when OmniFlux uploads the version of modern updated build environment version of Reality with the DRM stripped you should mention this bug again and upload 1 or more example scenes with this bug to test with. There is a decent chance I have all the products you've used, if they were purchased from DAZ 3D or Renderosity. If there is a bunch of freebies in the scene you'd need to upload the freebies too so the scene could be opened.

Its less about products and just a general thing it seems to do
    Sometimes you just notice it in some scenes and objects
    But it will always export that way

even a simple primtive cube shows this behavior
    i'll redocument my findings o 3 ob glad to hear you will be able to address bugs and issues once the DRM is stripped out

VirgoRival said:

nonesuch00 said:

VirgoRival said:

If i may interject

you guys are awesome <3

Its less about products and just a general thing it seems to do
    Sometimes you just notice it in some scenes and objects
    But it will always export that way

even a simple primtive cube shows this behavior
    i'll redocument my findings o 3 ob glad to hear you will be able to address bugs and issues once the DRM is stripped out

OK, yes. Just make a document illustrating the problem & how to reproduce it and upload it to this thread when it's ready.

• nonesuch00 said:

OK, yes. Just make a document illustrating the problem & how to reproduce it and upload it to this thread when it's ready.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xe7XM9E3XvYiBvmJKayjE6jvQGN9NSV9ekmD0s59b5o/edit?usp=sharing

I hope you don't mind, but I put it down in a Google Doc

if this format isn't sufficent, i can recreate it here as its own post

VirgoRival said:

nonesuch00 said:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xe7XM9E3XvYiBvmJKayjE6jvQGN9NSV9ekmD0s59b5o/edit?usp=sharing

That's great as we can choose the format to save it as and I've bookmarked it in case you update it later. I'll refer to it when I test in Poser & DAZ Studio. 

edited December 2021

VirgoRival said:

nonesuch00 said:

Hi, I just looked through your Google Doc.  Thanks for being so thorough with your observations and data gathering!  All the information and screenshots you posted there were extremely helpful and trying to figure out what is going on.  I'll PM you my response so that we can keep this thread on the topic of Reality End (Extension) of Life.

• CMacksCMacks Posts: 202

Let me just take this opportunity to thank Paolo and his marvelous plug-in for teaching me so much about lighting.  It has helped my photography as well as my rendering!  I stopped using Reality some time back, but the lessons learned have transferred extremely well.  Grazie!

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

@cridgit Caustics, we want caustics .. that's where iray is not good and cycles totally sucks cheeky

• takezo_3001 said:

Cool, thanks for this, I was pretty much brainstorming for a solution as mine was not set in stone, especially if there is a better one, but unfortunately, companies are too addicted to DRM that negatively affect paying customers, and ironically do not affect the pirates themselves, which is why a lot of otherwise honest consumers turn to piracy which contributes to the never-ending cycle of customers turning to piracy due to overbearing eventually ineffective DRM.

If they were honest they would not be "turning to piracy" in the first place.

Tell you what: why don't you spend hunderds, if not thousands, of hours and thousands of dollars developing a piece of software and offer it for sale without any mechanism to enforce your IP rights or hinder unauthorized duplication or distribution, and see how long many copies you sell before it starts showing up on pirate sites?

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 2021

Padone said:

@cridgit Caustics, we want caustics .. that's where iray is not good and cycles totally sucks cheeky

Iray's actually pretty decent with caustics provided you turn on the caustics sampler. Lux is still the king though. and the glass just looks more solid

Caustics in cycles is definitely just sad.

Iray and Lux are oddly similar. They both are unbiased to a fault, even where cheats make life easier. Take how both use pure volumetrics for SSS, and won't make shadowless materials

klein lux.png
    960 x 540 - 364K
    klein iray.png
    960 x 540 - 653K
    Post edited by j cade on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

Thank you j cade for the nice comparison, in your pictures it is clearly visible the difference in quality between iray and lux.

• VirgoRivalVirgoRival Posts: 47
    edited December 2021

again off topic

but has anyone else's Reality stop selecting surfaces when using the surface tool on Daz?

This has been one of the largest features I need in for Reality consitering you have to know what you are selecting because of you having to edit every surface on a given scene because not everything is plug and play

this started happening after i pulled my AMD card out and uninstalled its video Drivers

Reality still opens for some reason, but this function broke

(edit: it seems to still work on some stuff, but not others, i'm not sure why now)

Post edited by VirgoRival on
  • pcicconepciccone Posts: 661

CMacks said:

Let me just take this opportunity to thank Paolo and his marvelous plug-in for teaching me so much about lighting.  It has helped my photography as well as my rendering!  I stopped using Reality some time back, but the lessons learned have transferred extremely well.  Grazie!

That's very nice of you to say. It's been my pleasure. When I started Reality it was because of my background in photography and cinematography. I wanted a renderer that behaved like real lights, which I use every day. Today I'm back to photography full time also because it was not possible to keep up by myself with all the improvements in the field. But I'm really happy to hear stories like yours, CMaks. Because of those I fell that Reality has accomplished its mission: to show to artists in general how to use a more natural way of lighting and rendering 3D scenes

Cheers

CMacks said:

That's very nice of you to say. It's been my pleasure. When I started Reality it was because of my background in photography and cinematography. I wanted a renderer that behaved like real lights, which I use every day. Today I'm back to photography full time also because it was not possible to keep up by myself with all the improvements in the field. But I'm really happy to hear stories like yours, CMaks. Because of those I fell that Reality has accomplished its mission: to show to artists in general how to use a more natural way of lighting and rendering 3D scenes

Cheers

cridgit said:

Hi Paolo

This is sad news but not unexpected and I was glad to see you stubbornly stick to your project for so long. I was also one of your early customers and I could see you did the project out of passion for helping others produce renders they didn't believe they were capable of (myself included). You were an excellent PA - always communicated clearly, always responsive, helpful and professional. I learned so much using Lux/Reality and have the greatest respect for you.

For old times sake here are a few of my Lux/Reality renders from 2011. You might recognize a few of them and I hope they put a smile on your face from one friend to another :-) The last 2 were some experiments using the physical properties of light: a Newton sphere and a laser (as close as I could get it).

Hey cridgit, I remember you very well and I remember that great Buddha render. It did put a smile on my face! :)

Thank you so much for your kind words, they really mean a lot to me. Seeing the Studio/Poser community explore the features of LuxRender via Reality was a thrill and event seeing PBR being adopted by Studio and Poser with their own renderers gave me a sense of purpose that was quite a thrill. We did it. You all and my little contribution. Without your enthusiastic adoption, this could not have happened. When Reality came out in 2010 it was a gamble, but the Studio community said a resounding "YES!" and the rest is history. Among other things, it was because of the response from the Studio community that Poser acquired a new plugin API. Funny but true. 

Initially, I had thought to create Reality for Poser but, when I looked at their API, I concluded that it was lacking the infrastructure that was needed for something like Reality to be integrated. So I looked at Studio, which I knew had a capable C++ API, and shifted development to that platform. 

The response of the Studio community had been so great that when I re-contacted the Poser developers their answer was literally: "tell us what you need and we will make it happen." :)

From that, I co-designed the new plugin Poser API which allowed Reality to be integrated and, at the same time, helped other renderers like Octane. 

Don't you love how things evolve? :)

BTW, does anybody know how to have the forums notify via email? I don't get any notification when people post here.

Cheers

Omniflux said:

• Code

AWESOME! Congratulations, that is a major milestone. Does it run?

BTW, if I remember well, the OpenCL library is loaded dynamically at run time. Given that OCL is all but defunct, I would simply strip that part of the code so that you will remove any incompatibility caused by the new drivers. It will probably make life much easier for everybody. Even Apple, who created OCL, has disowned it.

Cheers.

meganappstate said:

If they were honest they would not be "turning to piracy" in the first place.

Tell you what: why don't you spend hunderds, if not thousands, of hours and thousands of dollars developing a piece of software and offer it for sale without any mechanism to enforce your IP rights or hinder unauthorized duplication or distribution, and see how long many copies you sell before it starts showing up on pirate sites?

Yep, and that is for a $40 piece of software. I mean, who pirates stuff that cheap. I understand when they crack a software that costs thousands of $, but $30-$40??? Note of relevance, I actually ended up in the hospital because of the development of Reality.

I started writing it in 2009, in the middle of the economic depression. I had to sell my previous e-commerce business and had not been receiving a paycheck for 18 months. I mention this just to explain the climate of the time.

When I search for a way to make a living I turned to what I knew best: develop software. I also loved 3D and photography. And then I stumbled upon LuxRender. I could not believe that there was a physically-based renderer. It seemed like something out of science fiction. But it was true and, to my surprise, PBR was still quite unknown. So a plan emerged to write a program to interface Luxrender and bring PBR to the mainstream. That is you guys and gals :)

The issue was that I had never written 3D software. The math scared me and it was a big strain to learn it while I was writing the code. With the background of using my own saving to sponsor the project and the recession looming over, I became so stressed that I literally pulled my spine out of shape by sitting for 14 hours a day at the computer. I was just so stressed that my back muscles tensed up in all the wrong ways. On Halloween 2009 I had to go to the emergency room because I could not walk anymore, such was the pain in my back. It turned out that I had bent my spine so badly that I inflamed a disc, which ended up pushing on some rather sensitive nerves.

Mind over body in all the wrong ways :)

It took me months to recover and heal, all while I finished writing the first version of Reality. To make it happen I switched to an exercise ball in lieu of a chair. I still use that today.

With that background, and needing very much to make a living, it was simply unthinkable for me to distribute a software over the Internet without protection. When I saw that it was pirated even at an extremely low price, I simply felt vindicated. Since then I bought many programs for various uses. They all have some form of protection, and I never faulted the developer for doing that because I literally know how much pain there is in writing complex code and know that there are people out there that have no respect for that effort. 

It saddens me that the paying customers might be inconvenienced but I experienced that as a consumer for years and I think that it's a low price to pay for the amazing products that we get to use every day. 

Cheers

• The response of the Studio community had been so great that when I re-contacted the Poser developers their answer was literally: "tell us what you need and we will make it happen." :)

Wow, I am so envious of you. I could never get the Daz devs to even acknowledge that I exist in any way, shape, or fashion.

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

The response of the Studio community had been so great that when I re-contacted the Poser developers their answer was literally: "tell us what you need and we will make it happen." :)

Wow, I am so envious of you. I could never get the Daz devs to even acknowledge that I exist in any way, shape, or fashion.

It was a matter of leverage. Poser had no iRay and no Lux. The old renderer was rather dated. Reality made a good splash, especially with version 2.x. At that point Studio had a lot of offering. It also helps that Smith Micro was in the same town I lived at that time, Santa Cruz, CA. When you can meet face to face it's so much better. Steve Cooper, manager of the project at that time, Larry Weinberg, the original creator of Poser, and I sat down at a coffee shop and discussed what would it take to integrate Reality and Lux with Poser. I gave them my two cents and they agreed. What can I say?

The stars were aligned :)

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 362

I have created a GitHub repository with a cleaned up copy of the files from @pciccone, updated CMake configuration and instructions for compiling on Windows.

I've thrown all the time at this I can for awhile, I hope to get back to it again next month (but it could be longer).

edited December 2021

Omniflux said:

I have created a GitHub repository with a cleaned up copy of the files from @pciccone, updated CMake configuration and instructions for compiling on Windows.

I've thrown all the time at this I can for awhile, I hope to get back to it again next month (but it could be longer).

Awesome!  Thanks very much for your hardwork!  I have forked here.  Your CMakeLists.txt is working well.  Thanks for the links to precompiled Boost!!!!!  That was my block before.  I am using CMake GUI so I don't think the json preset files do anything for me.  Instead, I click the "+ Add Entry" button and add the following definitions:

• Boost_COMPILER
      • Type=STRING
      • Value=-vc110
    • Boost_LIBRARY_DIR
      • Type=PATH
      • Value=C:/local/boost_1_54_0/lib64-msvc-11.0
    • BOOST_ROOT
      • Type=PATH
      • Value=C:/local/boost_1_54_0
    • DAZStudioSDK_ROOT_DIR
      • Type=PATH
      • Value=C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/DAZStudio4.5+ SDK

Here is my progress for building on Windows:

Creating the CMake Entries listed above will get you through the first part of the CMake.  I haven't figured out how to get CMake to detect my precompiled Qt libraries.  QTDIR doesn't seem to do anything.  I enter the path for each one manually, it takes me about 10-15 minutes each time.  I then disabled OpenCL requirement in CMakeLists.txt by commenting out line 44.

Then I am now stuck at CMake configuration of ZeroMQ:

Detected ZMQ Version - 4.0.5

CMake Error at C:/GitHub/reality/libs/zeromq4/CMakeLists.txt:61 (message):
    Cannot link to ws2_32 or ws2

I don't know why it can't find the winsock libraries.  Maybe they are not part of Windows 10 SDK?

My progress for building on Mac:

@Omniflux You made comments about needing Mac-specific code for the json presets and CMakeLists.txt and FindDAZStudioSDK.cmake, but I don't think anything needs to be done.  Users can use "cmake -G Xcode" to build Xcode project files.  I don't know the equivalent json setting for that.  The CMake gui will automatically preselect Xcode when using Mac, and users can change this selection when they first push the Configure button when setting up this project within the CMake gui. There are no hardcoded windows paths in the other two files.

For Mac build process, I tried using the precompiled dependency libraries supplied by @nonesuch00 (thanks again!)  I copied the boost folder out of the original "reality-plugin-code/libs" folder, and used it with Omniflux's new source tree.  I adjusted the manually created CMake Entries listed above with appropriate file paths to my mac folders.  The relative path to the precompiled boost mac binaries is: "boost/stage/lib/mac/".  Unfortunately, it's incomplete.... there are only 5 static built libraries in there: libboost_atomic.a, libboost_program_options.a, libboost_python.a, libboost_system.a and libboost_thread.a.  CMake wants to find these additional libraries: chrono, date_time, regex.  So that is where I am currently stuck on the Mac build.

I will try to spend more time this weekend working on building both Mac and Windows.  If anyone has any suggestions, comments, corrections for me, please let me know!  Thanks again to @pciccone, @Omniflux, @nonesuch00 and everyone else commenting, contributing and leaving feedback on this thread!