Sick to DEATH of this new DAZ problem!!!

spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I'm past making cutsey jokes about this anymore. It's just plain ridiculous how every single time without fail when there's a new DAZ update I lose everything, and I mean everything. I take all the precautions in the world but what good does it do me when the system is just going to break yet again. Bad enough the money I scrimped and saved for weeks just to buy pwtoon was nothing but a big waste as of DAZ 4.5.whateverinsertnumber here. But seriously, enough is enough. I'm to the point I simply dread new DAZ. I dread their updates. I just have nothing good to say about it anymore.

I took the plunge and installed content manager because you HAVE to have that to try the new beta build. Worst mistake EVER. Oh sure I installed all this stuff. Big deal. From that moment on my content manager was broken. I have stuff. Yay. I can't USE IT. I can't even FIND IT. Nor my characters I made myself, my folder structure which is VERY IMPORTANT TO WHAT I DO, or anything really. So yeah, I have nothing. I tell it to rebuild metadata. It does nothing. I try all the old tricks. What a waste of my time.

So I uninstall. K. Gonna reinstall 4.7 and ignore content daz breaker and the new build, if it's going to be this much trouble. I was over this 2 updates ago.

Aaaand I'm looking at content manager installind and "not responding".

And there's NOTHING I CAN DO IF IT WON'T EVEN INSTALL.

Seriously. Not. Happy.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,076
    edited December 1969

The beta has a separate list of content directories, so if you aren't using the defaults (\My DAZ 3d Library in the Public documents folder and \DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library in your own documents folder) you won't see the content until you add the new locations (right click on the appropriate "Formats" heading in the Content Library pane and select Add new ... Directory). Also, any plug-ins and shaders will not be available in the beta until you install tem again so that they can place their core files in the application folder.

• spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited December 1969

That's fine. It would however be nice if 4.7 hadn't broke in the process, which is what I'm complaining about.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I'm having trouble following your first post -- what exactly is not installing properly, and what happens?

edited December 1969

I'm sorry. When I get upset, well, I get harder to understand. Here is what happened in order.

DAZ was working beautifully. 4.7 build, doo dee doo doo... making purty pictures.
    Decided I'm gonna try the public beta build.
    I prefer to install everything manually so have never had install manager installed. But for the beta's sake, I installed it.
    Installed the items I purchased that day, then had to work and forget about it.
    Loaded DAZ 4.7 today.
    No library.
    No database.
    No working content manager.
    After a couple hours' worth of stopping the worthless thing, restarting it, and rebooting I unstalled 4.7 in a desperate attempt to get things to work.
    Tried the beta.
    Still no stupid library.
    Manually uninstalled that.
    And have been trying to reinstall 4.7 ever since.

I'm so over this nightmare. I am SO OVER THIS NIGHTMARE. It happens every single time they put out a new version. WITHOUT FAIL. And I'm sitting here thinking: if they insist on users using that stupid cloud installer of their form here out I'm screwed. I manually install things for several reasons. THis. THIS is the biggest one.

I'm gonna go punch a dolphin in the face.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

The beta is totally separate from your install of 4.7. The only thing the two share in common would be the library that you have pointed them to. If they are not finding your library it is not pointed to the right place. If you do non standard installs and don't put them where the programs expect them to be then your going to have to tell the programs where they are. Also if you didn't change the DIM to use your non standard install for products that do not have to be installed in the program (things like shaders and plug ins have to be in the correct place that is pre set or they will not function) then it put them in a different location than you may have. My guess is that where you install is very not standard since your having these issues and they are not common.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

PostgreSQL CMS is a separate install.
    As I recall one has to run the feature in D/S to reinstall the metadata.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I run on Linux using WINE and don't have anywhere near the problems you are describing.

Yes, I manually install everything because Linux uses a case sensitive file system and the current mish-mash of upper/lower case folder names would leave everything in a broken state...but that is neither here nor there...

It's like everyone else has said, if you choose to go away from the default locations, you MUST tell both Studio and DIM exactly what you have done/moved/so on...

• mgessat_f159911d19mgessat_f159911d19 Posts: 81
    edited December 1969

I had a similar problem (or at least i thought there was a problem...) - i installed the 4.8 Beta and everything was fine, it uses the same path to the content directories. But when i then started the parallel "old" installation 4.7 again, the content library pane was completely empty with the exception of one entry "alien shader script.dsa". So i thought the beta installation has "killed" the content database. But when i click on the "Actor, Wardrobe and Props Tab", the content re-appears and everything seems to be ok. So i guess this is only a little bug caused by the fact the CMS is used by both DAZ versions, the regular and the beta.

edited December 1969

M'kay, but see folks I'm not talking about the beta install. I haven't even had a chance to use the beta install. I took out the beta install. I'm talking about 4.7. As I said before, the library disappeared upon installation of the install manager. Which, of course, after a couple hours of trying to find a tutorial I finally got it to point to the right directory as opposed to the default it insisted on.

I'm glad for everyone else that can have things embedded in their windows without worry of the dreaded hard drive or windows fail that will take all their hard work away. But as that has happened to me WAY too many times to count (especially in one case a lightning strike), everything gets put on an external drive. In 10 years or so this has saved my can more times than I can count, so no. No amount of getting lectured about how not using the default settings is bad is going to change my course. I lost an entire novel, a comic book, and so many things when I used default setting and that stupid user data folder in Windows. There ain't no going back. Forward, Captain.

And I'm real happy for those of you who never have this problem. That's great! But uh... what I need is a solution to why *I* keep having this problem so it can be stopped. I'm tired of fighting the issue for hours only to find myself coming to this forum for help over the same thing over and over again. -_-

So let me reiterate.

I AM NOT USING THE BETA PROGRAM. If the shaders don't work anyway, then I might as well not bother. I do toon rendering the most. I know there's probably, maybe, small chance, a way to get them to work in there somehow, but time limitations prevent me from being able to worry with it right now. Omigosh the thread about the beta version alone sucked my life away, it's so long. I was like, this thread just sucked an hour of my life away. I don't know how to feel about that.

The library disappeared in 4.7 after installing the *install manager*.

Nothing in my 4.7 as far as settings go was changed. AT ALL. I didn't have the chance!

Yet every time I do an update or, in this case, add a component this happens. Even though I change no settings and am meticulous about where things get put. I'm very meticulous about it. I need things a certain way.

Thanks to the help of someone off this thread the library is back. And I thank them. They listened to my cry of help and boom! They were there and were all, not 4.8? M'kay lessee. And I was all, yeah bro. Please save my job. WAH! I lost a full day of work because of this, but other times I've lost up to a week.

I want to post how they did it, but I'm not sure what they did. I know the final trick involved reimporting user data. This was after working to reinstall 4.7 for, I kid you not, 4 hours. It finally installed. Then on my end when I kept trying to get the library up and import user data, things would crash, see. So I don't know how they got past that. I'm not computer savvy. I'm computer "gets along fine usually".

But I swear to you my heart stops every single time this happens. With my library goes things like my custom built characters, my comic scenes, my settings, and sometimes even a commission. And it happens FAR too frequently for me to feel okay about it.

If I'm making sure everything is pointing int he right direction with each install, WHY is it happening? What needs to be watched for? And why is it that frequently exporting user data and making backups doesn't help like it should? This. This would be good to know.

edited December 1969

If I'm making sure everything is pointing int he right direction with each install, WHY is it happening? What needs to be watched for? And why is it that frequently exporting user data and making backups doesn't help like it should? This. This would be good to know.

With something like that, that doesn't happen to the vast majority of users, it usually comes down to operating system/security software/physical problem on the offending computer. The issues you are having, especially with the database are not the norm, so they are very difficult to pin down. But most database problems stem from two sources...installing while studio is running or security software/operating system interference. Often with that being lack of administration privileges or 'too tight' local security. That doesn't eliminate the small percentage of actual hardware problems....like a hard drive suffering from 'old age' (spins down/sleeps at the wrong time) or a memory stick with one bad spot that is only ever accessed by a certain program, under certain conditions resulting in an undetected block of corrupt data.

Then there's the mysterious factor that I can't explain other than an 'anti-computer' field that surrounds some people...I can sit down at my computer and print 15 things with consistent results. My wife comes in, sits down and goes to print number sixteen. She can hit the print button 15 times with fifteen different results...she calls me, I come in and hit the print button for the 16th time...and it prints...correctly...first try.

edited December 1969

Offending Computer. BWAAAHAHAHA so true. This thing offends me!

Yes, I do suffer from the "anti-DAZ" field. (Other things don't give me this sort of trouble.)

I'm not really big on security. I run Avast, Malwarebytes. Some other programs that used to be decent only make me mad these days so they no longer get installed. I have a lot of faith in Avast because it has saved my bacon three separate times from some pretty malicious stuff.

I did turn it off finally while working to install things. So perhaps that was part of my issue. Thank you for pointing that out.

What about an aging motherboard? Could that have interfered? I wouldn't normally think so, but.... Just checking all my bases.

edited December 1969

One thing I'm noticing, working with DAZ for the first time since this latest incident, is almost all of my icons are missing. I rely on those suckers. How to get them back? I do have install manager working and have reinstalled. No dice.

edited December 1969

Offending Computer. BWAAAHAHAHA so true. This thing offends me!

Yes, I do suffer from the "anti-DAZ" field. (Other things don't give me this sort of trouble.)

I'm not really big on security. I run Avast, Malwarebytes. Some other programs that used to be decent only make me mad these days so they no longer get installed. I have a lot of faith in Avast because it has saved my bacon three separate times from some pretty malicious stuff.

I did turn it off finally while working to install things. So perhaps that was part of my issue. Thank you for pointing that out.

What about an aging motherboard? Could that have interfered? I wouldn't normally think so, but.... Just checking all my bases.

Which CMS database program are you using...the old Valentina one or the new PostgreSQL one?

Avast/Valentina have a sort of rocky relationship...they don't seem to like each other very much. At least it seemed that way to me over the past few years and I haven't really noticed any major updates indicating otherwise (Norton products and any database...Zonealarm and any database are also traditionally 'rocky'...McAfee...meh)

MBAM? While MalwareBytes is fantastic stuff, it can be a bit too aggressive at times. I usually recommend using it 'on demand' only.

Aging motherboard...yeah, especially with inconsistent things...like doing the same thing several times and one takes 2 minutes and then doing it again take 2 hrs...then 20 secs.

edited December 1969

I'm not sure what you mean by Valentina/PostgreSQL. My husband would but he's at work , and he took his knowledge with him because he needed it.

I've used Zonealarm on occasion but it drives me nuts. It asks me "should I block this?" for the same thing over and over again, even when I tell it "YES FOREVER DON"T ASK ME AGAIN! FOREVER!" and then it doesn't ask on things I WANT it to ask me for, and it won't block what I WANT blocked even though I set the settings up again and again and again. Waste of time on my end at that point, just a nuisance. Kind of like that millennium kid you hired that can't get it in their head that yes, you DO work on a job.

Haven't had inconsistent processes, but my screen does turn green from time to time. We've went in circles replacing various things. The motherboard is all that's left. But aaah... $300... no. Not yet.

edited March 2015

I'm not sure what you mean by Valentina/PostgreSQL. My husband would but he's at work , and he took his knowledge with him because he needed it.

I've used Zonealarm on occasion but it drives me nuts. It asks me "should I block this?" for the same thing over and over again, even when I tell it "YES FOREVER DON"T ASK ME AGAIN! FOREVER!" and then it doesn't ask on things I WANT it to ask me for, and it won't block what I WANT blocked even though I set the settings up again and again and again. Waste of time on my end at that point, just a nuisance. Kind of like that millennium kid you hired that can't get it in their head that yes, you DO work on a job.

Haven't had inconsistent processes, but my screen does turn green from time to time. We've went in circles replacing various things. The motherboard is all that's left. But aaah... $300... no. Not yet.

Screen...green...was the cable between the video card and monitor one of the replaced items?

Valentina is the old database program...and the default.

For a while, it was really bad with Avast/Valentina..but that was a few years ago. One of the 'fixes' was to swap the default ports that Vaentina uses to 'listen' to. And disable/tell Avast to 'whitelist' Valentina while doing things with it.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

The monitor in question is actually a tablet. We of course did check the cable connection. But being as the USB ports are also dying.... we're pretty sure we know the culprit. And if there's one thing I wear out it's motherboards. I work *a lot*. If there's another think I wear out, it's video cards.

I'd like to upgrade anyway. It's just... money... whimper.

i seriously have never heard of this problem. I'm running windows 7 and that's the best I can tell you about what's used and where in that regard. LOL. Avast has never given me any real trouble, though. Malwarebytes doesn't either, but I keep things "on demand" as was said before. DOn't like it when they run in the background. They get in my way.

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

Sorry, to reply to a dead thread, but I thought this would be relevant for others in the future. This behavior probably is indeed related to your failing drivers. The HD of my previous comp died-- I don't remember how all it messed up other than that eventually, the minimize/maximize/close window disappeared from the task menu, so I had to end the task menu process... via the task menu. Also, one of my screen resolution options disappeared if I remember correctly.
    Other than that, it had trouble recognizing the CD drive and the cursor made death clicks when the comp would crash. That was WinXP home edition, with a 7yo hard drive. Also, a BSoD once in a blue moon, though that was far more common in Win 98.

edited December 1969

Most likely!

However, I still have the same equipment for now the problem has ceased. For now. AS it does. Dunno why!