Dynamic clothing, is there a way to make some?

michaelolsonmichaelolson Posts: 117
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Anyone know how I can make my own dynamic clothing and cloth? Thanks.

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Depends on which program. Daz Studio's dynamic system is proprietary so only Optitex can make it. Poser can use a regular OBJ in the cloth room.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,088
    edited March 2015

Carrara has some cloth through softbody physics, but users have found that calculation times are abysmal unless the cloth only interacts wih other cloth - which is achieved by creating softbody attach panels as "underwear" for the clothed figure. Just uncheck visibility for the undersuit. It is very much still in the early stage as people determine best practices for creating the softbody attach undersuit and best settings for different types of fabric (leather reacts differently than cotton). But it does work, and I occasionally use it in my workflow in places that I used to rely on export of objs created in Poser's cloth room. Definitely not perfect.

For animations
    - an example of how the underwear/undersuit works is here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfKfiP5YTto&feature=youtu.be
    - and an example of how draped Carrara cloth over an animated figure with invisible undersuit is here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/P360/#765003

Here is an example of draped cloth in Carrara, but you can make the fabric more stiff like leather or less stiff by adjusting settings.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/P285/#763180

For stills, you can see two examples of rather stiff looking cloth for A3 here (just a test render of a skin shader but the skirt is draped over a bent leg).
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53931/#785984 (edit: this example is actually a morphed Genesis 2 female)
    and here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/P195/#757931
    with the undersuit construction for the second example demonstrated here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/P195/#758041
    You can see the same concept applied for a long skirt for a custom genesis figure here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/P210/#758514

A quick guide to links explaining some of the concepts for applying this cloth to posed figures and animated figures in Carrara is here
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/P210/#758192

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,088
    edited December 1969

The Carrara examples above were generally constructed with user-made custom clothing items, but I have applied the same technique to some purchased content designed for V4. However, sometimes the objs for purchased items are not ideal for Carrara if they were designed for Poser (things like buttons and accessories may be designed for settings in Poser that would have to be addressed differently in Carrara, for example).

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,954
    edited December 1969

. . . . and then there is the 10K+ Optitex software :snake:

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

If it's for your own personal use you can modify an uncompressed .duf file to enable dynamic cloth but if the original mesh wasn't created with dynamic draping in mind the results might not be acceptable.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

If it's for your own personal use you can modify an uncompressed .duf file to enable dynamic cloth but if the original mesh wasn't created with dynamic draping in mind the results might not be acceptable.

Something else to play with....:lol:

• barberoybarberoy Posts: 98
    edited December 1969

This is probably a stupid question but why doesn't Daz purchase this software from Optitex?

edited December 1969

barberoy said:

This is probably a stupid question but why doesn't Daz purchase this software from Optitex?

$$$$$$$$$

and more $$$$$$$$

Basically, it is a piece of high-end clothing design software that someone found a secondary use for and saw $$ with a plugin...but the $$ never materialized, so things have languished in limbo.

And since fashion design houses will and can shell out $10K to use the full features, I don't think Optitex will be willing to part with it, cheaply, if at all.

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

People always complaints for new abilities not present on Daz Studio, if, in a future, the ability to create your own cloth inside Studio would be available, peolpe will complaint for another new feature not present, and so on...

Optitex software is not easy to manage for an entry level 3d artist, even if available you will need read the whole manual for even make a f*** trouser!

had you seen the freebies on the Optitex site?

• barberoybarberoy Posts: 98
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    barberoy said:

$$$$$$$$$

and more $$$$$$$$

Basically, it is a piece of high-end clothing design software that someone found a secondary use for and saw $$ with a plugin...but the $$ never materialized, so things have languished in limbo.

And since fashion design houses will and can shell out $10K to use the full features, I don't think Optitex will be willing to part with it, cheaply, if at all.

So there's not a big enough demand for dynamic clothing to justify Daz or a PA forking out $10k+ for Optitex's 3d suite?

edited December 1969

No, there is not...and the $10K still doesn't exactly get working clothing into DS...there's a lot of extra work with DS specific stuff that the Optitex software doesn't do.

None of the vendors ever want to give out actual numbers, but they will all tell you that to make $10K you need to sell an awful lot of stuff...and looking at my freebies (nothing to do with dynamic clothing) downloads, it took nearly 3 yrs for the most popular one to hit 1000 downloads. And if I was making $10 off each one, it take 3 yrs to recover the cost of the software...I, like most other vendors, don't see that as worth it.

So you've got the regular 'development' work PLUS making it dynamic with expensive software.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

What's stopping them from dumping Optitex entirely and go with a system that allows the use of regular OBJ files?

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,334
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    What's stopping them from dumping Optitex entirely and go with a system that allows the use of regular OBJ files?

Nothing, I believe, except that a fully working dynamic system would cost thousands in development costs, with no real certainty of a pay back on that. Dynamics is not some simple plug in, it is a major programming task, and not something you take on lightly. I remember reading in a thread months back that one (or maybe it was two) vendors were intending on developing their own plugin, but only time will tell if these will ever materialise.

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

+1,000,000,000...

Seriously, that's the best option. But there's something, somewhere that's stopping it...whether it is just lack of sales or something else, I've got no idea.

edited December 1969

nVidia physX inc Apex cloth should be implementable like Iray but I also suspect some sot of agreement with Optitex might be in place stopping it, nobody knows but DAZ.

edited December 1969

Bullet is free...and in Carrara...

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

+ carrara has dynamic hair that moves

edited December 1969

Ghastly's hint had me intrigued enough to whip out notepad but no luck thus far finding exactly what I need to change, just get errors and I guess he cannot elaborate for legal reasons.

edited December 1969

speculation: maybe iz optitex paying daz

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

mjc1016 said:
    No, there is not...and the $10K still doesn't exactly get working clothing into DS...there's a lot of extra work with DS specific stuff that the Optitex software doesn't do.

None of the vendors ever want to give out actual numbers, but they will all tell you that to make $10K you need to sell an awful lot of stuff...and looking at my freebies (nothing to do with dynamic clothing) downloads, it took nearly 3 yrs for the most popular one to hit 1000 downloads. And if I was making $10 off each one, it take 3 yrs to recover the cost of the software...I, like most other vendors, don't see that as worth it.

So you've got the regular 'development' work PLUS making it dynamic with expensive software.

"O" that is subscription based as well, like the new PhotoJunk rent-ware. That is NOT a one time fee.

Also, you would need an OBJ file, for each possible variation in the figure shape (and including combination OBJs as well). How many possible combinations of the G2M base figure shaping dials are there, lol. Tall 0.1%, Tall 0.2%, Tall 0.1% & Thin 0.1%, etc...

Never mind, not worth the asking price.

I have Hexagon, and Blender, good enough for my needs. And the Daz Studio D-form for getting skirts to behave in dancing poses.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited March 2015

who, what! How did I miss that!
    I wanted the Addison Hair style. Converted for G2F and ported to Daz Studio for about a year now.
    https://www.daz3d.com/addison-hair-for-carrara
    That is dynamic in Carrara? Is it any hair, or just stuff made for Carrara, or stuff made to be dynamic in Carrara?
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

I wanted the Addison Hair style. Converted for G2F and ported to Daz Studio for about a year now.
    That is dynamic in Carrara? Is it any hair, or just stuff made for Carrara, or stuff made to be dynamic in Carrara?
    that one might fly around a bit animated , is meant for draping but yes
    edited March 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyqebEYxzTk I find fur easier than hair, esp long hair, is very wild and jittery, you paint it on and simulate it

note I did postwork that with slomovideo

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited March 2015

Ghastly's hint had me intrigued enough to whip out notepad but no luck thus far finding exactly what I need to change, just get errors and I guess he cannot elaborate for legal reasons.

There's a tutorial on it over at Renderosity.

Whoops that wasn't the right tutorial. Let me see if I can find it.

Post edited by ghastlycomic on
    edited December 1969

that one might fly around a bit animated , is meant for draping but yes

carrara hair isn't gonna work in ds. haz it's own hair tools

utooby long drape hair for ca https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C90KA0_-9U

edited December 1969

Hmmm... so looking into it it would seem Daz broke something after v4.7 so that you cannot manually create a dynamic mesh anymore.

I wonder if this effects the performance of the legitimately purchased dynamic cloth in any way.

• erik leemanerik leeman Posts: 262
    edited December 1969

Hmmm... so looking into it it would seem Daz broke something after v4.7 so that you cannot manually create a dynamic mesh anymore.

I wonder if this effects the performance of the legitimately purchased dynamic cloth in any way.

They most definitely spent some time working on it, draping dynamic cloth never worked as good as it does now (v4.7).
    In recent previous versions it had turned into an horrendous crash-fest that took forever to get something done, if ever, now it works like a dream. Ugly things like self-intersections, bunched up crumpled knots, and sinking collars still happen far too often, but not crashing all the time is a huge improvement!.

Still haven't tried that script hack, so I don't know whether it still works or not, but with all the (partly free or 70% discounted) dynamic clothing I have collected over time there really wasn't much urgency to do so, only curiosity.

Erik

edited December 1969

Quite frankly it is not hard to do it in Poser, run the dyntomorph python script and save a pz3 and import it if you really want it in DAZ.
    Or in my case import into Carrara where I freeze and import Optitex stuff anyway.
    I too was curious and am more interested in the "why not" of a different cloth system being implimented and because of this "hack" thinking Optitex "Hardcoded" into DAZ and another system could break that.
    The hack only raises more big questions for me if anything.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

After the exploit was brought to their attention DAZ changed the system to stop self made dynamics from being recognized by the plugin, I think it was the last version of 4.6 that it appeared in, it's still possible to get them to work with a workaround, but as I've already had one post deleted on the subject that's as far as I'm going on it.

As for why stick with Optitex, could it be that both companies are owned by the same faceless mega corp, after all back when it was announced we were getting dynamics DAZ were also in the middle of a "merger".

edited December 1969

Thanks wendy♥catz and

Bejaymac said:
    After the exploit was brought to their attention DAZ changed the system to stop self made dynamics from being recognized by the plugin, I think it was the last version of 4.6 that it appeared in, it's still possible to get them to work with a workaround, but as I've already had one post deleted on the subject that's as far as I'm going on it.

As for why stick with Optitex, could it be that both companies are owned by the same faceless mega corp, after all back when it was announced we were getting dynamics DAZ were also in the middle of a "merger".

This has me curious if there is even a system anywhere for making Daz Studio Dynamic cloths. The Optitex 3D Suite is not for making Daz Studio content, not by a long shot. It can't even export anything that Daz Studio can comprehend.

So legitimately, what is the legal way to make Dynamic stuff in Daz Studio? What programs? Where do I get them? ALL of the stuff that I will need to making Daz Studio Dynamic Cloths, not some other system for sowing machines and cloth mills.