How Big Is A Cat?

TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055
edited December 1969 in The Commons

What should the scale be set to on the Millennium Cat, and why doesn't Daz update it to be the correct proportion to people in the scene?
Instead of being so darn HUGE! LOL

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

hmmm

big_cat.jpg
    947 x 603 - 59K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,916
    edited December 1969

I find 25-30% scale seems about right.

But I agree. :/

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    hmmm

Yep, that's DAZ's Mil Cat alright. :lol:
    edited December 1969

I find 25-30% scale seems about right.

But I agree. :/

Thank you, sounds about right. :)
    edited December 1969

Made using LAMH tricky, since I had to reduce the cat and THEN go into the hair editor and reduce fur length.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,959
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    hmmm

OMG !!!What did they feed that cat!!!???? Wallabies???

edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    chohole said:
    hmmm

OMG !!!What did they feed that cat!!!???? Wallabies???
    Actually it is a very tiny lady. :)

edited December 1969

I think the cat had a large dose of Photoshop. If you were holding that cat, your shadows would not be darker where they overlap. ;-)

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,959
    edited March 2015

tjohn said:
    I think the cat had a large dose of Photoshop. If you were holding that cat, your shadows would not be darker where they overlap. ;-)

Okay that makes me feel better,I mean if house cats are getting that big,what's next 2 foot tall mice or foot long cockroaches !!

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

In England big cats are known to take on foxes who venture into urban areas and kick them out. The only reason why a catapocalipse does not happen is that cats do not know how to operate can openers. Yet.

edited December 1969

Watch this late at night with the lights off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4PR9NZlAB4

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,794
    edited December 1969
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,331
    edited March 2015

carrie58 said:
    tjohn said:

Okay that makes me feel better,I mean if house cats are getting that big,what's next 2 foot tall mice or foot long cockroaches !!

Nah, they were all killed in the 1950s. Didn't you see the movies? The only thing left of that nature are the lizards from Japan.

The real problem now days is the giant morphing metal and plastic toy robots.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

Thing to remember is that while cats may not be as variable as dogs in size, there IS a huge range.

A typical Munchkin is teenytiny, about 5-9 lbs. A typical American Shorthair can be twice that, between 11-15 lbs. And a Svannah can be up to 25 lbs. And even within those, the smallest and largest can be MUCH smaller and MUCH larger. I knew someone with a 4 lb American Shorthair, while my two "ninjas" are 20 and 22 lbs.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,331
    edited March 2015

My favoritest cat was a male Russian Blue. Gorgeous, silver blue silky hair, long graceful tail, tiny size, gentle loving nature.

Russian_blue.jpg
    235 x 332 - 19K
    Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

And we have a Russian Blue that looks almost exactly like that photo (add a white locket and belly) but he's big. Not huge, but large for a normal range housecat.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    And we have a Russian Blue that looks almost exactly like that photo (add a white locket and belly) but he's big. Not huge, but large for a normal range housecat.

Depends on the cat. My rescued domestic short hair weighs in at 4.8 lbs fully grown. Perfectly proportioned and no health problems even at 16.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2015

icprncss said:
    Fisty said:

Depends on the cat. My rescued domestic short hair weighs in at 4.8 lbs fully grown. Perfectly proportioned and no health problems even at 16.

I have 2 litter sisters. Very similar markings but if you see them sitting next to each other you could be forgiven for thinking them to be mother and ¾ grown katling, there is such a difference in their size. Rescue cats so just typical short haired tabby/white cats. (If cats can ever be typical)

They are just over 3½ years old now, so the size difference is not likely to change.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,147
    edited December 1969

The size of a cat depends on the situation - if you are trying to keep it from getting into a cupboard it can be very, very small - if you are hoping to keep part of the chair or bed it is trying to share with you, not so small. Weight is of course even more variable by situation.

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Bubba (Burmese-monster cross) was a 40 lb. beast. His brother was 10lbs. and his upper canines poked out from his mouth like little vampire teeth. Some friends have one that's nearly 30 lbs. The average weight for a common housecat is 10 lbs, but the weight and size can vary greatly depending on breeding.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The size of a cat depends on the situation - if you are trying to keep it from getting into a cupboard it can be very, very small - if you are hoping to keep part of the chair or bed it is trying to share with you, not so small. Weight is of course even more variable by situation.

Cats, dogs and small children are all similar in that respect...and having all three at once tends to make some very uncomfortable sleeping...

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,272
    edited December 1969

Don't forget temperature. They stretch when warm. Hot days you tend to have a yard long cat.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

Cats have bones made out of silly putty. And can increase or decrease their personal gravity. Hey, YOU ever try to get up when a 10 lb cat is in your lap? NOPE< it's now a hundred pounds of "Sit there and like it" :D

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,774
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

...now they are big for real. We used to have one when I was growing up. Very gentle personality though.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,774
    edited December 1969

chris said:

...now that one's cute.
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

tribble troubles

tribble_troubles.JPG
    672 x 637 - 61K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,655
    edited December 1969

That would make for a good meal for someone living on the street. lol

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Don't forget temperature. They stretch when warm. Hot days you tend to have a yard long cat.
    longcat.jpg
    274 x 640 - 22K
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,669
    edited December 1969

The millennium cat is about three feet tall.

mil_cat_01.jpg
    756 x 537 - 112K