DS 4.7 shuts down as soon as an item is loaded...Help!

KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Today when I opened 4.7 I loaded a scene and tried out the Architectural Light rig I recently bought, rendered a few scenes and Everything was fine, then I cleared that scene and loaded a character which loaded fine but as soon as I moved my mouse over it Studio just shut down. I tried another clothing item and the same thing happened, loaded and as soon as I moved the mouse over it to click studio shut down again. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling through dim...still shuts down. This has never happened to me before and The only thing in the log file is as follows...

Fragment Shader compiled successfully.
Linking Shader:
No errors.
Shader Program successfully linked.

*** Scene Cleared ***
WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(4270): Could not find node parent.
WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(1644): Failed to follow node.
File loaded in 0 min 0.8 sec.
Loaded file: XSkirt.duf
Loaded image C3DXSRed.jpg

nothing else after this warning it will shut down....can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to fix it?

By the way 4.8 beta works fine ...no issues with it

Comments

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

So I tried again with the same environment I had successfully used prior and it worked then I cleared scene and loaded another and studio shut down...log said just this

*** Scene Cleared ***
    File loaded in 0 min 1.3 sec.
    Loaded file: !Pre All.duf
    Loaded image FW_WH_Floo.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Columnsl.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Candle.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Wall_01a.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Door01b.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Door01.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Wall_02a.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Door02.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Wall_03a.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Door03.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Wall_04a.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Door04.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Wall_05a.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Door05.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Wall_06a.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Curtain_01d.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Curtain_02d.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_CornerWall.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_Ceiling02.jpg
    Loaded image FW_WH_CeilingTRANS.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_Floo.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_FlooBUMP.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_Columnsl.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_ColumnslBUMP.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_CeilingTRANS.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_Ceiling02.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_Candle.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_CeilingBUMP.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_CandleBUMP.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_Door01.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_Door01BUMP.jpg
    *** Scene Cleared ***
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_Door01b.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_Wall_01a.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_Wall_01BUMP.jpg
    Ran tdlmake on image E:/3D Library/Runtime/textures/ForbiddenWhispers/WonderlandHallway/FW_WH_Door02.jpg
    *** Scene Cleared ***
    File loaded in 0 min 1.3 sec.
    Loaded file: Junk Alley.duf
    +++++++++++++++ DAZ Studio 4.7.0.12 starting +++++++++++++++++

I don't understand why this just started happening...

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It looks like tdlmake is failing to write it's images to the Temp folder, you may need to clear that out yourself.

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp is where it is located, and all of the TDL files stored there, should be removed when DAZ Studio closes. You could have a look at that.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

It looks like tdlmake is failing to write it's images to the Temp folder, you may need to clear that out yourself.

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp is where it is located, and all of the TDL files stored there, should be removed when DAZ Studio closes. You could have a look at that.

You may also need to make sure you actually have read/write permissions to the temp folder...

edited December 1969

Hi JimmyC...I checked and there were 3 tdl files in there I deleted them and reloaded DS 4.7 but still same problem but after it shut down I went back to that temp folder and those files were there again. any other suggestions?

PS I have been away since I posted this query and am just now getting back to solving this issue. Would the beta DS have any bearing on 4.7 starting to do this?

edited April 2015

mjc1016 said:

You may also need to make sure you actually have read/write permissions to the temp folder...

Hi mjc1016..where would I check to see if I have permissions...?

Edit: I found it and it says I have full permissions....but no matter what I load the tdl files are in the temp folder when DS shuts down they don't auto delete.

Post edited by Kharma on
    edited December 1969

If I could think right now (just got done doing my taxes...if that isn't enough to fry ones brain), I'd probably be more help...but try manually clearing out the temp folder.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    If I could think right now (just got done doing my taxes...if that isn't enough to fry ones brain), I'd probably be more help...but try manually clearing out the temp folder.

I did try that and then I restarted DS 4.7 and as usual it loads and I can load an item but as soon as I move the mouse over the object studio shuts down and if I look in that temp folder the .tdl files for that item are there and I delete them ..its the same process each time.

edited December 1969

The tdl files being leftover is a symptom of the crashing...but if there are too many of them space can be a problem. Also, if there isn't enough free space on the hard drive that the temp file is on, it can create problems.

One of the problems is that tdlmake can error out/crash if it runs out of room. That's why making sure the temp file was empty was key.

So....how much free space is there on the hard drive?

Since it seems to be initially running, it's not likely security or operating system are blocking it.

The beta and production versions don't share settings, so they won't have the same temp folders. This is especially key, if you have moved the temp folder location in the production version (4.7) and not in the beta.

edited December 1969

The h/d should have lots of space but I will check when I get home and restart my laptop, I checked the temp files in both 4.7 and beta, the beta does delete any temp files but 4.7 will have 3 or 4 temp files from whatever item I loaded right before the crash, but it seems to only crash when i move my mouse over the viewport, it doesn't happen if i go to scene and select the item and then add a new material, but if I ove the mouse into the viewport sometimes it will let me click onto the item and then crash, but usually as soon as my mouse is in the viewport it crashes.

The day this started happening I was using 4.7 and it was working fine then out of the blue it started doing this, the only new item I was using was architectural light rig as I stated in my first post.

edited December 1969

So yes I have lots of h/d space...494 G free on regular disk and 569 G free on external h/d if I don't have a solution I guess I will try uninstalling and reinstalling again

edited December 1969

The only other thing I can think of is not related to Studio...but any operating system/driver updates that may have happened around the same time this started happening?

edited December 1969

The only thing I updated was my video drivers so I could use the iray renderer, other than that just the usual windows updates. But even at that wouldn't uninstalling and reinstalling4.7 fix it, but I have done that twice now and still not working

edited December 1969

I can start DS 4.7, load an item but as soon as I move my mouse into the viewport the program just shuts down. I restart , check the log file, no error message..try loading an item, first I see item I loaded prior, then it disappears and new item loads. If I look in the Appdata/roaming/ temp directory I find .tdl files are not deleting automatically. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice now, and have posted a help request in the Nuts&Bolts; section, not realizing I maybe should have posted here instead and also sent an inquiry to tech support help desk. I don't know what else to try so if anyone can help please?

edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    The only thing I updated was my video drivers so I could use the iray renderer, other than that just the usual windows updates. But even at that wouldn't uninstalling and reinstalling4.7 fix it, but I have done that twice now and still not working

Drivers, I'm not sure reinstalling Studio would matter. Windows update...maybe. But if it was a Windows update, I'd imagine that it would 'kill' both versions.

What video driver version...because at this point, it's about the only thing I can think of.

edited December 1969

It is a GeForce Nvidia 650M V 347.52

edited December 1969

There's a new one up on the Nvidia site...not sure how long it will take to make it to your laptop maker's site.

Actually there are two newer versions. That version is from back in February. There's one in March and one released yesterday.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    There's a new one up on the Nvidia site...not sure how long it will take to make it to your laptop maker's site.

Actually there are two newer versions. That version is from back in February. There's one in March and one released yesterday.

Can u post a link to where you found the newer driver, I am not getting anything for a new driver...thank you

edited April 2015

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

And if you go down to the Beta and Older Drivers link, you can get the past several versions...

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

And if you go down to the Beta and Older Drivers link, you can get the past several versions...

So I tried updating to the newest version 350. ? and totally lost my video card so fumbling around in my c drive I found a setup.exe file for the original nvideo card driver and isntalled that and now I don't know what version it is but both 4.7 and 4.8 are up and running! Thank you so much for helping me mjc1016 :)

edited December 1969

You're welcome...

One of the frustrating things about doing it this way is the time lag...I'm sure I could have gotten it done much quicker with the machine in front of me.