Would we be getting a USD add-on

I'm a survivor of the PovRay and VRML era (haha), so this is not my first rodeo for so-called universal file formats for 3D CG.

Now that nVidia is backing the Universal Scene Description or USD format for their Omniverse, may I ask whether Daz Studio users might be getting an export plug-in for USD.

Comments

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    Technically one could export to Blender via the free Diffeomorphic add-on, and export to USD from Blender.
  • Luv LeeLuv Lee Posts: 229

ibr_remote aka infinity10 said:

I'm a survivor of the PovRay and VRML era (haha), so this is not my first rodeo for so-called universal file formats for 3D CG.

Now that nVidia is backing the Universal Scene Description or USD format for their Omniverse, may I ask whether Daz Studio users might be getting an export plug-in for USD.

I would absolutely love that--a one-stop shop.

I don't like Blender and find it hard to use--it would be so much easier to just be able to export directly from DAZ, especially if they have a way to export any physics information... 

I actually did reach out to NVIDIA regarding this, and they sent the request over to developers on their end.  YES! I mean, we have bridges for MAYA, CAD, CINEMA 4D, BLENDER, and others, and I love Omniverse and have been playing with it via iClone, and I am hooked. There are limitations from the iClone end--they too have no way to export physics, although they say they are working on it. I just like the idea of not having to create  FBXs uploading -- waiting -- creating another field, exporting, opening again... just no muss, no fuss straight outta DAZ--Boom!  The process is already time consumptive enough--why have unneeded steps?

I'd pay bazillions for the ability to do that. Well... maybe not bazillions.  But I would pay a reasonable price for it. LOL.

• We need USD Plugin for Daz3D, to Import and Export options, how we can ask them to made it for us?

• MouserMouser Posts: 675

The problem always is that the individual companies want to be the sole format and to exclude their rivals resulting in their universal format only being compatable with their format and only kind of sort of working with their rivals formats.

• An exporter is on my list; I've just go so many other things to do and so little time in which to do it.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

An exporter is on my list; I've just go so many other things to do and so little time in which to do it.

yes

• Let me just subscripe to the USD request :-)

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,677

Ryselle-Ryssa said:

Let me just subscripe to the USD request :-)

Me too, see that Kitbash3D cargo, when i don't specify software, make all file in USD format.