Imperial Soldier for Genesis 2 Male - changing uniform

derrenharperderrenharper Posts: 2
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hello

I'm kinda new to Daz3D, though fairly experienced with other modelling packages and for the life of me, can't figure Daz3D out. Help for this n00b would be appreciated. =)

I'm using Dazstudio 4.7 on Mac OS X for all of this . . .

I've bought a model: Imperial Soldier for Genesis 2 Male and tried to install it via the install manager but I can't seem to find it anywhere when I do that. So I manually installed it in the Daz 3D > Studio > My library > folder. It now shows up in the right hand side Content Library tab n the Daz Studio Formats dropdown. However, when I've loaded up the model and try to change the material from the standard camouflage look to the black material, it keeps coming up with an error ('An error occurred while reading the file, see log etc).

Does anyone know how to simply go about this because I've been racing my brains for ages and nothing I do will sort it. Every rime I use the install manager nothing installs and I can't find my models - I have to manually install them which seems to be a bit of a pointless exercise. =/

Thank you for any help offered. Will save my sanity. =)

Derren.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

If you are using DIM to install DAZ 3D content, then that is the way to go. It puts everything in the correct place for you so that you wint get any errors.

Once you have installed something with DIM, it will appear in the 'Installed' tab in DIM, right click on it, and then select 'Show Installed Files' which will tell you where exactly everything has been installed to.

It is possible to install manually, but you need to know something of how to set up the content correctly, that is why it is better to use DIM.

• derrenharperderrenharper Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

If you are using DIM to install DAZ 3D content, then that is the way to go. It puts everything in the correct place for you so that you wint get any errors.

Once you have installed something with DIM, it will appear in the 'Installed' tab in DIM, right click on it, and then select 'Show Installed Files' which will tell you where exactly everything has been installed to.

It is possible to install manually, but you need to know something of how to set up the content correctly, that is why it is better to use DIM.

Thank you for this. Seem to have sorted that part now. Only problem now is animating the figure. When selecting the animation presets in the content library for walk, run, jump etc it runs at about 1 frames second and is not smooth like with the standard Genesis 2 Male (without the body armour/suit applied). Is it meant to be slow running? Running on a pretty seedy iMac - as before, with just the naked genesis 2 male it runs really smoothly.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

That is probably just Viewport slowdown because of the large poly count, and a weak graphics chip

You would need to render the animation as an image sequence, then put it together to see the result properly.

These presets (Aniblocks?) are designed for V4, and may need some work too.

• derrenharperderrenharper Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

That is probably just Viewport slowdown because of the large poly count, and a weak graphics chip

You would need to render the animation as an image sequence, then put it together to see the result properly.

These presets (Aniblocks?) are designed for V4, and may need some work too.

Jimmy- you are a god among men. Thank you very much for your help. =)