Genesis Sale Platinum club Bonus Discount, I'm having issues.

cdemeritcdemerit Posts: 505
edited December 1969 in The Commons

So this Genesis Sale is 3 items any you get 80% off. And PC members get an additional amount 50% off.

The additional discount seems not to be applying. I bought a membership, then tried picking up this items from the sale: you can see I'm getting the PC discount of 30%, but not the additional discount.

Might seem a bit petty given the deep discounts already, but...

ScreenHunter_03_Apr._16_20_.12_.gif
881 x 652 - 39K
ScreenHunter_02_Apr._16_20_.11_.gif
510 x 414 - 73K

Comments

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited December 1969

The additional discounts for PC+ members are for PC+ products. Those three products aren't PC+ products.

• MegonNoelMegonNoel Posts: 377
    edited December 1969

It's an additional 50% discount on PC+ items. Those are the $1.99 type items. If you put 3 of the 1.99 items in your cart, they will come out to about 0.99 each. But only the ones that are in that sale section (I think they are posted as being $1.19 on the store page).

And just so you know, the 3 PC+ items at 50% off, and the 3 genesis items at 80% off are listed in the same section, but are separate triggers. So 1 PC+ item and 2 regular genesis items won't trigger the full discount for either of them. I noticed this when I put a bunch of different items in my cart to see what they went down to.

• cdemeritcdemerit Posts: 505
    edited December 1969

Lindsey said:
    The additional discounts for PC+ members are for PC+ products. Those three products aren't PC+ products.

It's an additional 50% discount on PC+ items. Those are the $1.99 type items. If you put 3 of the 1.99 items in your cart, they will come out to about 0.99 each. But only the ones that are in that sale section (I think they are posted as being $1.19 on the store page).

And just so you know, the 3 PC+ items at 50% off, and the 3 genesis items at 80% off are listed in the same section, but are separate triggers. So 1 PC+ item and 2 regular genesis items won't trigger the full discount for either of them. I noticed this when I put a bunch of different items in my cart to see what they went down to.

Thank you both. I was afraid it was going to be a trick of wording that confused me... oh well... Still going to be a decent discount anyways.

• MegonNoelMegonNoel Posts: 377
    edited December 1969

Don't forget you can use your $6 coupon on the order too :-)

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,374
    edited December 1969

MegonNoel said:

Or if you are like me and have already used the $6 coupon you can use the $3 off
    $15 purchase from Facebook or Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/daz3d
    https://www.facebook.com/DAZ3D.FanPage

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,311
    edited December 1969

Well, there is something else.
    Stacking only works for products of the same 'sort'
    So either 2 or 3 of the 'selected non pc+ items' or 2 or 3 items of the 'selected pc+ items', no mixing
    Got no clue if this is as it should work or if it is another store glitch, hard to tell nowadays with all the store troubles.....

edited December 1969

MegonNoel said:
    Yup, I tried to use both, but no, oh well, still worth it.

Well, there is something else.
    Stacking only works for products of the same 'sort'
    So either 2 or 3 of the 'selected non pc+ items' or 2 or 3 items of the 'selected pc+ items', no mixing
    Got no clue if this is as it should work or if it is another store glitch, hard to tell nowadays with all the store troubles.....

Ended up picking up 20 items, many were on both lists. In the end, I got many items I'd been wanting, and almost $500 of items for $40. I can't complain. I just wish they made there sale info a little more detailed.

• tekno_dragontekno_dragon Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

Pay day on Tuesday, hope this sale stays up till then.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,993
    edited December 1969

Nope, it's gone already.

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

lee_lhs said:
    Nope, it's gone already.

The banner is gone but the sale is not.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,791
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    lee_lhs said:
    Nope, it's gone already.

The banner is gone but the sale is not.
    Bless your pointy ears, I thought I'd missed it! :)

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

MegonNoel said:

What is this $6 coupon you reference?

edited December 1969

I think this is the steepest sale I have seen yet for Genesis1 items. With stacking discounts for the PC+ items, it can get a good bit higher than 80% off. I admit I'm more of a V4/M4 fan (and so just spent a bit on the V4/M4 sale last week), but some of these Genesis1 items are really nice, and the price cuts are attractive enough to lure me in to buying quite a few.

edited April 2015

Jonstark said:
    MegonNoel said:

The monthly PC coupons, which are here... :)

https://www.daz3d.com/subscription

PS several of the Genesis 2 Pro and Starter Bundles are in Fast Grab...

Post edited by WandW on
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    Jonstark said:
    MegonNoel said:

The monthly PC coupons, which are here... :)

https://www.daz3d.com/subscription

PS several of the Genesis 2 Pro and Starter Bundles are in Fast Grab...

Wait, what? How long have these coupons existed? I've been a member forever and haven't seen monthly coupons in years... I guess I've been missing out til now :(

Still, thanks for the heads up :)

And I did see the fastgrab too, but eh, Genesis2... not my favorite or even my 2nd favorite, and still generally far overpriced, however fastgrab discounts do make it a little attractive...

edited December 1969

The $6 coupon (formerly $5) coupon was been there continuously since I joined in 2007, although it used to get you up to 50% off of PA items, but it only applies DOs now. The $6 off $18 on non-new items started last Summer, IIRC.

Stop by the PC Forum once in a while... :)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/categories/3/

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,067
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Wait, what? How long have these coupons existed? I've been a member forever and haven't seen monthly coupons in years... I guess I've been missing out til now :(
    The coupon for DAZ Originals replaced the PC monthly voucher when the site was moved to Magento years ago.

The PA coupon was introduced last year as one of the new features of the PC+.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    I think this is the steepest sale I have seen yet for Genesis1 items. With stacking discounts for the PC+ items, it can get a good bit higher than 80% off. I admit I'm more of a V4/M4 fan (and so just spent a bit on the V4/M4 sale last week), but some of these Genesis1 items are really nice, and the price cuts are attractive enough to lure me in to buying quite a few.

I think that for Genesis 1, this is indeed one of the best sales I've seen. There are three items I don't spend a lot of money on, and they are cloths (as there are a lot of freebies out there), poses, as I'm getting better at posing, and hair, as hair is not much use if you don't have models to use it on.... But with this sale, The first three items shown in the op, were on my must haves list, so right off the bat the cost of the pc membership was almost wiped out by the coupon and discount from the first items. (after discounts and coupon I saved $19.00 on the first three items, making my membership only $5.00 more than what I would have paid), but then with so many items at $0.99, I picked up many outfits and even some poses and hair for so much less, many items I had been looking at, but at $10-$20 each, I wasn't in a rush for.

I think this has turned out to be a great sale to complement my march madness purchases.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,501
    edited December 1969

cdemerit said:
    Jonstark said:

I think that for Genesis 1, this is indeed one of the best sales I've seen. There are three items I don't spend a lot of money on, and they are cloths (as there are a lot of freebies out there), poses, as I'm getting better at posing, and hair, as hair is not much use if you don't have models to use it on.... But with this sale, The first three items shown in the op, were on my must haves list, so right off the bat the cost of the pc membership was almost wiped out by the coupon and discount from the first items. (after discounts and coupon I saved $19.00 on the first three items, making my membership only $5.00 more than what I would have paid), but then with so many items at $0.99, I picked up many outfits and even some poses and hair for so much less, many items I had been looking at, but at $10-$20 each, I wasn't in a rush for.

I think this has turned out to be a great sale to complement my march madness purchases.

There was another Genesis sale during MM I think. Not sure if the discounts were better than this one, but I remember buying a whole bunch of stuff that time :) It's going to take me a while to convert everything to my G2 figures :)

edited April 2015

The MM genesis sale was 70% and you had to buy (usually 2, but might have been 1) some thing else that I found I didn't want to get the good deals... wasn't PC+ at the time, so I'm not sure how PC stacked with that... The biggest difference was that the MM was more PA's and this is DO's, so in actuality the two complimented each other well. (I picked up a bit from the MM sales as well, many of the characters I had wanted from Rawart, The Antfarm, and others)

Post edited by cdemerit on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,766
    edited December 1969

Leana said:
    Jonstark said:
    The coupon for DAZ Originals replaced the PC monthly voucher when the site was moved to Magento years ago.

The PA coupon was introduced last year as one of the new features of the PC+.
    And don't forget that there are also two $3 off coupons currently running as well, one on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DAZ3D.FanPageand the other on Twitter https://twitter.com/daz3d

edited December 1969

mtl1 said:
    cdemerit said:
    Jonstark said:

There was another Genesis sale during MM I think. Not sure if the discounts were better than this one, but I remember buying a whole bunch of stuff that time :) It's going to take me a while to convert everything to my G2 figures :)

This is a better Genesis only sale, but there were a bunch of Genesis items in other MM sales that ended up being better deals if you stacked promotions.

As for why there are so many Genesis uber-sales? Given how few original Genesis products are coming out these days, I imagine that at this point the lion's share of the potential market is divided mainly into three groups: 1) people who got into Genesis when DS 4 came out and who have picked through the catalog a number of times, 2) people who skipped straight into the G2s and tend to be occupied with buying the product made specifically for the newer figures, and 3) people who are still using Gen 4 and therefore have little interest in Genesis products. I know I certainly fall in the first category - with "hide" on, I'm only seeing 189 of the 605 items in the sale and the majority of the ones I do see are either redundant items from bundles or texture sets.

edited December 1969

This is a better Genesis only sale, but there were a bunch of Genesis items in other MM sales that ended up being better deals if you stacked promotions.

As for why there are so many Genesis uber-sales? Given how few original Genesis products are coming out these days, I imagine that at this point the lion's share of the potential market is divided mainly into three groups: 1) people who got into Genesis when DS 4 came out and who have picked through the catalog a number of times, 2) people who skipped straight into the G2s and tend to be occupied with buying the product made specifically for the newer figures, and 3) people who are still using Gen 4 and therefore have little interest in Genesis products. I know I certainly fall in the first category - with "hide" on, I'm only seeing 189 of the 605 items in the sale and the majority of the ones I do see are either redundant items from bundles or texture sets.

When I started my current project, I had to make the decision on which of these groups I was going to fall in.

While I can see the value of the Gen 4 stuff, and that it will be useful for a while yet, I just couldn't see myself investing heavily in Gen 4 as it is older, and as far as I can see, not much if anything new is being created for Gen4.

The G2 Stuff is newest, greatest, lots of new stuff, but the new stuff costs money (always does) and the final turnoff for me was that the M/F split into two, means in some cases you have to buy 2 packs instead of just one. I don't mind buying a pack that has both, but there are many that are for male or female only, in spite of basically being the same kit. That and I really don't need the HD stuff at the moment, it just slows down the renders for no real value added... (maybe in the future, I'll need/want this, but for the moment) that and there are some things that just don't yet seem available yet to G2

The G1 stuff, while older, is plentiful, cheap, transferable to G2 when the time comes, and I can use on both M/F characters. plus with all the sales, it extra cheap, and there are a lot more morphs already available for what I need. In the end the Versatility and availability as well as overall cost is what made me choose G1.

Now back to your comment/question:

As for why there are so many Genesis uber-sales? Given how few original Genesis products are coming out these days....

Well, this is total guesswork here, but given they were giving away M6 and V6 (starters I know) during the MM sales, and they also had several other Gen 6 characters for sale at $2.99 during the MM sales, and currently Several Gen 6 Characters Pro-packs are in the Fast Grab bin, it has all the feel of they are trying to get as many of these characters sold before they announce the release of G3. I'm guessing we will hear about a G3 release sometime in the next 2 months (this is possible completely wrong, so don't hold your breath).

If that is True, then G1 just got pushed back another level, and might explain the massive sales with deep discounts, especially for people like me who might be on the fence about where to invest.

edited April 2015

cdemerit said:

While I can see the value of the Gen 4 stuff, and that it will be useful for a while yet, I just couldn't see myself investing heavily in Gen 4 as it is older, and as far as I can see, not much if anything new is being created for Gen4.

That's really only true at DAZ. If you go to the other major 3D content sites like Renderosity and RuntimeDNA, the majority of product being created is still for Gen 4. G2F is starting to do quite well at Rendo and there are a few G2M artists outside of DAZ doing great work, but original Genesis never really caught on anywhere except here. Like you, I really preferred the "one figure does everything" concept, and I held off on the G2s at first. When Teen Josie came out, however, I took the plunge and found that not only did the G2F rigging really work better with females than the all-in-one Genesis, but that G2F usually autofits Gen4 clothing a bit better. Nowadays I use G2F for the majority of my female figures, thought I'm still use original Genesis a lot for the males.

cdemerit said:

Now back to your comment/question:

As for why there are so many Genesis uber-sales? Given how few original Genesis products are coming out these days....

Well, this is total guesswork here, but given they were giving away M6 and V6 (starters I know) during the MM sales, and they also had several other Gen 6 characters for sale at $2.99 during the MM sales, and currently Several Gen 6 Characters Pro-packs are in the Fast Grab bin, it has all the feel of they are trying to get as many of these characters sold before they announce the release of G3. I'm guessing we will hear about a G3 release sometime in the next 2 months (this is possible completely wrong, so don't hold your breath).

If that is True, then G1 just got pushed back another level, and might explain the massive sales with deep discounts, especially for people like me who might be on the fence about where to invest.

I'd really be surprised if we saw G3 in the next year, as the G2s are only just beginning to make a real impact on other sites and we've seen the first real cross-licensing of the Genesis/G2 formats to Realusion for iClone. It always felt to me like G2F got rushed onto the market , both to counter the release of Dawn and in response to complaints from PAs about the difficulties involved in creating clothes that could stretch over the entire humanoid range. The G2 meshes and riggings, on the other hand, seem to have been pretty well accepted as the new top standard in 3d figures, so it makes sense to keep them going until the market changes again. My guess is that what we'll see next is a bigger push for the HD versions of the G2 figures, as well as a series of upgrades that optimize materials for iRay, but that the basic meshes won't change again until DAZ Studio clicks over to version 5.

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

I have to say all those G2 bundles that keep appearing in fast grab remind me of when the Gen bundles were in fastgrab and then G2 suddenly appeared. I won't be suprised if G3 appears before the end of the year.

edited December 1969

I've been thinking that if I were just starting out on this digital rendering hobby, from a logical standpoint I would probably have to pick Genesis1 as my figure of choice (yes, even though it's essentially a 'dead' character with very little ongoing new stuff being built for it). Here's my thinking:

1 - There is a *ton* of V4/M4 content out there, and a lot of it is very inexpensive. Add to that Daz's rotating 80% off sales for the V4/M4 stuff (seems to happen at least once every 3 months or so) and I can pick up a *lot* of very high quality clothing sets for V4/M4. This clothing is built for V4/M4, sure, but it can be used with Genesis1 too, in fact in some ways it will work even better on Genesis1 because of autofit (alleviates the need for fiddling with tons of parameters to adjust my clothing for poke through). Shoes/boots for V4/M4 content won't fit right on Genesis1, but that's hardly a deal breaker if I pick up a few sets of Genesis1 footwear that could match to any particular V4/M4 outfit.

2 - V4/M4 is not dead, and it's starting to look like it won't be dying any time soon. This actually goes back to support #1 above. A quick glance at Rendo shows that V4/M4 is still going strong, and if anything the support for Genesis2 is playing second fiddle. It's difficult to find a Genesis2 character that isn't actually both a Genesis2 and a V4 or M4 character bundled together as one. This is true for clothing sets too, at least on other sites besides Daz. This plays in Genesis1's favor, since it means that there's still a lot of new clothing that's being created that can easily be used with Genesis1.

3 - Genesis2 is overpriced. Even with some of the recent fastgrab bundle prices it's still overpriced. Without any sale or discount? No way.

4 - Genesis1 is undervalued. One base figure that can be morphed from male to female to child to ogre to whatever. Yes, I'm aware that it drove clothing content makers a bit crazy trying to make outfits that naturally morphed from and to such extreme forms, and my heart bleeds for them, but nevertheless, nearly all the clothing seems to work and autofit as it should, and there are some real advantages to having a 1-character base system that can use almost any clothing.

5 - 'But it's lower poly!' is an invalid argument. Complaints that Genesis1 having a slightly lower poly count affects the realism are only slightly less absurd than complaints about the style and coloring of the emperor's new clothes. Texture and lighting quality are *far* more important that poly count. And Genesis1 might have slightly lower poly count, but it is by no stretch a low poly figure. I recently saw a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFqopkUTO0Q which showed someone modeling a human female head starting from a primitive sphere (it's only about 2 min long, and kind of incredible), it's actually a pretty low poly head, yet in the final renderings it looks fantastic. Besides, if people really cared about realism, they would be using dynamic strand hair instead of the prop hair we see everywhere.

6 - 'Genesis2 has better bending at joints.' Maybe so, but if it's so close that it's difficult to see the difference, does it really matter? Besides which, it's not like the mesh of Genesis2 can't be morphed to correct any perceived bending problems; there are morph sets for sale in the Daz store already to correct some issues (just as there are for Genesis2) and if someone wants to get hardcore it's not like they can't make their own morph corrections for any perceived joint bending problems themselves.

7 - Carrara 8.5 pro. It comes with the V5pro and M5pro bundles free, meaning that for a very modest price someone just 'starting the hobby' can pick up a fair amount of Genesis1 content, as well as a Carrara itself, which has far more extensive capabilities than Studio or Poser, and instead is on a par with thousand-dollar pro software. Even if someone wasn't planning on using Carrara at first, the bundled Genesis1 content alone makes it worthwhile.

8 - Theoretically now that we've had one 80%+ sale for Genesis1 content, we might see more of these in the future. I've been lured into spending on the prior Genesis1 sale too, even though it wasn't quite as steep a discount, but now that Genesis1 is possibly going into future rotation for 80% off sales, what does that mean for the older V4/M4 content that has up till now enjoyed it's own rotation of 80% off sales? Maybe it will become even more discounted? Is 90% off possible for the future? And of course as mentioned before, nearly all of the V4/M4 stuff is usable by Genesis1 too...

All of the above is mostly theoretical navel-gazing for me, as I have up til now used mostly V4/M4 stuff. And through sales I've got a good deal of Genesis1 stuff too, I'm thinking maybe of making the move to use Genesis1 more often. I even have more of the Genesis2 stuff than I actually want or need at the moment.

Wonder what in the world the draw will be for Genesis3 if there is one coming? It's hard to envision what magical new functionality will be unveiled to make it a 'must-have' considering how well the prior generations of figures already work...

Sadly I think the latest Genesis1 sale is over now, or at least I'm not seeing it in the store anymore. I spent more than I should, and yet I still have the feeling there were some other items I wish I had picked up at the discount.. :)

edited December 1969

Well, in the end, I think everyone will have their favorites, and it just happens that at the moment, genesis works the best for me. I may eventually port things over to G2 or G3 (whenever this is released) but for now, G1 fills my needs.

However, All these great deals are ruining me. There is an item that I want, and it is currently "On Sale", but only for 50%, so I decided to hold off for now...

edited December 1969

cdemerit said:

I'd really be surprised if we saw G3 in the next year, as the G2s are only just beginning to make a real impact on other sites and we've seen the first real cross-licensing of the Genesis/G2 formats to Realusion for iClone. It always felt to me like G2F got rushed onto the market , both to counter the release of Dawn and in response to complaints from PAs about the difficulties involved in creating clothes that could stretch over the entire humanoid range. The G2 meshes and riggings, on the other hand, seem to have been pretty well accepted as the new top standard in 3d figures, so it makes sense to keep them going until the market changes again. My guess is that what we'll see next is a bigger push for the HD versions of the G2 figures, as well as a series of upgrades that optimize materials for iRay, but that the basic meshes won't change again until DAZ Studio clicks over to version 5.

I hate to do this... But I called it... almost to the day.... Are you surprised Cybersox13?

edited December 1969

cdemerit said:
    cdemerit said:

I hate to do this... But I called it... almost to the day.... Are you surprised Cybersox13?
    Yeah, and especially surprised to see so many of the same mistakes that were made with the launch of Genesis being repeated yet again.