Rewrapping V4.2's eyeBrow mesh to an externally morphed Head

duane_moodyduane_moody Posts: 130
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I'm working on a Victoria 4.2 character whose head isn't exclusively the result of Head dials, and realized that the eyeBrow mesh only "knows" what the Head dials have done to alter the Head mesh. As a result, the eyeBrow mesh is largely out of sync with the Head it covers. Is there a utility to re-shrinkwrap the eyeBrow mesh to the current state of the Head, following the same offset from the Head's geometry?

Otherwise, I need to determine the offset value for the vertices, generate a translation table correlating the vertices of eyeBrow to their corresponding Head vertices (eyeBrow is essentially a material prop with its corners 'rounded') and then write a script that outputs a morph target for eyeBrow.

If the utility doesn't exist I'll set about writing it, I'd just like to avoid duplicating someone else's work.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,074
    edited December 1969

Well, you could morph the brow to fit then use Morph Loader pro in DS with Reverse Deformations to subtract the contributions from the standard morphs - I think there's a Poser script with similar function, but I can't recall name or author.

• duane_moodyduane_moody Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

Well, you could morph the brow to fit If it were that trivial I'd have done it already either with Poser's morph Tool or in an external modeler with shrinkwrap using the same offset DAZ uses. As you might have guessed, I attempted both and the results weren't particularly satisfactory. I'm trying to restore the same level of conform that Vicky's brow mesh has out of the box.

then use Morph Loader pro in DS with Reverse Deformations to subtract the contributions from the standard morphs

This sounds like it would only be practical for a head whose transforms were the results of dial morphs – which wouldn't be necessary to correct because those already automatically mimic on the eyeBrow mesh. If I misunderstood what you meant here, I apologize; I haven't used D|S extensively yet.

Thanks for the feedback, though. The most arduous part of writing this utility is going to be creating the vertex translation table: the brow vertex order is nearly random and I have no reason to expect it to follow the same order in a larger object like the head (esp. since .obj spec doesn't require any order to the vertex cloud). Then again, it's only ~800 vertices and the mesh appears to have point symmetry, halving the workload.

If a DAZ engineer has any insights into this, I wouldn't mind hearing them.

• yxk03yxk03 Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

How about this:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24707/

I haven't actually used it but it seems to do what you're describing.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The big question I have...are you actually using it for anything?

The vast majority of V4 textures have the eyebrows on the face map and turn the 'brow' surface to 0% opacity...