Status of 4.8?

nickalamannickalaman Posts: 196
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I was reading the original post regarding 4.8.09 and noticed that the line that mentioned weekly updates had changed. Now the word pending was inserted in red. Did I miss something? are things on hold?

?) PENDING - Updates will be posted over the course of the next week.

I personally have stopped rendering with the old render engine and now only render with Iray. That being the case also means that I have slowed my purchases to a crawl, until i start seeing Iray shaders included with the products I purchase.. I know that half the hair I have doesn't work with Iray, so I i'm not going to add to that until i start seeing products that have been tested and tweaked for Iray. And I'm guessing the vendors are also on hold because they can't program things to a moving target.

I'm ready to start buying iray optimized products..... The potential of what can be done looks amazing.,.,.but i'm not going to buy stuff that's optimized for 3Delight. Because honestly I don't have time to start tweaking textures, it's fun for a bit, but then I loose interest.

I lost interest in 3d a couple of years ago, I was a poser guy, that switched to Studio only because I saw the potential of Genesis. The problem I had with Studio was 3delight, It was too complicated and slow for me.. The only reason I got back into 3D was because of Octane.
That excitement was short lived, after a year of waiting and waiting. I lost interest again... I was at the point were I was about to uninstall everything and move on, then Iray came along....

So bottom line,

What happening with 4.8? and can we get some products optimized for 4.8 soon????????

Nick

Comments

• JPiatJPiat Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

Lost interest iteration : 3
    Convergence : 0.01 %

Daz3D has his own schedule. 4-6 weeks from the pending status to the effective release is common.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

?) PENDING - Updates will be posted over the course of the next week.

Maybe it means what it says rather than meaning something totally different like it has been put on hold?

can we get some products optimized for 4.8 soon

The vast majority of PA's found out about Iray the same day that everyone else did so we are all trying to get up to speed on things. I know that some PA's have been working on products and iray correlation practically from that day on so I suspect that there will be some products ready when Iray goes out of beta.

And I’m guessing the vendors are also on hold because they can’t program things to a moving target.

Only if that moving target were regular rebuilds of the whole shader system. Minor updates to the shader system could would mean minor updates but not a start over from scratch scenario. I don't think it would be a good policy to have products out before they went out of beta and I don't think it would be wise to accept products before they were sure everything was pretty much solidly in place as far as the iray things went. But I'm thinking we are getting closer to all of that every day.

• ChuckdozerChuckdozer Posts: 453
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    ...I don't think it would be a good policy to have products out before they went out of beta and I don't think it would be wise to accept products before they were sure everything was pretty much solidly in place as far as the iray things went....

This is what irks me about Dreamlight right now. He's selling tutorials on using Iray... even pre-selling tutorials that aren't finished. According to the change log, a lot of things have changed... Anyway, I bought the ultimate DS lighting tutorial of his, and it was guaranteed to be updated on changes to lighting in Studio thru version 5.0, and Iray lighting is a feature of 4.8. Ugh!

Anyway, if you check the status of the Change Log frequently, the version number is ever changing, and the last entry always reads "Release to Production: Pending" ;)

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

They have done AMAZING getting the beta sorted. I know I have been chomping at the bit for a few of the things in the change log.