HDR Lightning with Iray - HOW?

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,106
    MN-150374 said:
    tl155180 said:

Thanks. Yeah, I know the jpeg won't give any light - I'm using the .tiffs in the enviroment map (such as DT-YosemiteHDR2.tiff). It is providing HDR lighting to the scene, but the image on the dome is bright and washed out, while the figures in the scene are dimly lit by the HDR lighting.

Both Yosemite-ProSets come with .hdr-files. If you take a look in your Product Library, download the Poser-Installer. There you will find the .hdr-files.

I've had a look and there are .jpg for just backgrounds; ENV.tif for just lighting and HDR.tif for background and light.

It is EXTREMELY hard to create HDRIs to provide actual light.

The easiest approach I've found is to use Picturenaut and use 'under exposed' images that are nothing but a sun disk I drew where it should be.

I made my own from a picture I took in Tenerife. I used it in this image. Not good enough for a background image though and the sun is a distant light.

Click on image for full size.

• MN-150374 said:
    tl155180 said:

Thanks. Yeah, I know the jpeg won't give any light - I'm using the .tiffs in the enviroment map (such as DT-YosemiteHDR2.tiff). It is providing HDR lighting to the scene, but the image on the dome is bright and washed out, while the figures in the scene are dimly lit by the HDR lighting.

Both Yosemite-ProSets come with .hdr-files. If you take a look in your Product Library, download the Poser-Installer. There you will find the .hdr-files.

What do you mean by this? I tried downloading the Poser files, but they're the same as the .duf files, just in .pp2 format. I don't see any .hdr files.

The HDR.tif files are the HDR files, the ENV.tif files are just the lighting only HDRI's, no backdrop.

• Fishtales said:

The HDR.tif files are the HDR files, the ENV.tif files are just the lighting only HDRI's, no backdrop.

Yeah thats what I thought.

Well, thanks for your help but I think after all this experimenting today I'm going back to my original stance - I don't like HDRIs. To me it never looks like the figure is actually there; it looks like they're just standing in front of a photograph, even in the professional promo images. The only way I could see it being convincing is if the lighting matched the lights on the image so perfectly that it was seamless, but I've never seen this done other than with images of cars. This is just personal opinion, of course.

I think I'll just wait for some HDRIs to be released that are only skies and maybe use those if they're good. Otherwise, I'll take geometric scenes that your figures can interact with any day.

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited September 2015

The File-List of both packs says, they are there!

HDR ProSets Yosemite Pack One : http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/16977/file_list

HDR ProSets Yosemite Pack Two : http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/16978/file_list

In your Product Library download the file

IM00016977-03_HDRProSetsYosemitePackOnePs.zip

and / or

IM00016978-03_HDRProSetsYosemitePackTwoPs.zip

After unziping the files should be in the following path: /Runtime/Textures/DimensionTheory/HDRProSets/Yosemite/

Thats how I got the .hdr-Files of both sets.

Yosemite_hdr.jpg
    1110 x 491 - 333K
    Post edited by MN-150374 on
    edited September 2015
    tl155180 said:
    Fishtales said:

Well, thanks for your help but I think after all this experimenting today I'm going back to my original stance - I don't like HDRIs. To me it never looks like the figure is actually there; it looks like they're just standing in front of a photograph, even in the professional promo images. The only way I could see it being convincing is if the lighting matched the lights on the image so perfectly that it was seamless, but I've never seen this done other than with images of cars. This is just personal opinion, of course.

I think I'll just wait for some HDRIs to be released that are only skies and maybe use those if they're good. Otherwise, I'll take geometric scenes that your figures can interact with any day.

If you are looking for Skies only, take a look at this one: http://www.daz3d.com/skies-of-economy

This time the .hdr-files are hiden in the Carrara Installer: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/15328/file_list

After unzipping the Carrara-Installer the path is: \Presets\Textures\DimensionTheory\SkiesOfEconomy\

edited September 2015

I had a look and I don't have those and doing a filter on the names produces a blank. I can find both Yosemite sets but not those zips. I have the ENV and HDR files but they are in .tif format which must be the way they are for DAZ Studio.

Post edited by Fishtales on
    tl155180 said:
    Fishtales said:

Yosemite backdrop with a few tweaks. I don't think it looks that bad smiley

edited September 2015
    Fishtales said:

I had a look and I don't have those and doing a filter on the names produces a blank. I can find both Yosemite sets but not those zips. I have the ENV and HDR files but they are in .tif format which must be the way they are for DAZ Studio.

If you go to your account, in the Product Library you can download these .zip-files manual. Not via DIM.

Yosemite_ProductLibrary.jpg
    959 x 634 - 407K
    Yosemite_manual.jpg
    768 x 399 - 170K
  • Fishtales said:
    tl155180 said:
    Fishtales said:

Beautiful work! :)

The ,tiff files are the HDR and ENV files. They are 13 layer tifs with the same information as there is in the HDRI's. I put one through Photoshop and saved it as an HDRI and there is no difference between the two, except I lowerd the grey balance to darken it a bit which is the one I used in the above image.

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited September 2015
    MN-150374 said:
    tl155180 said:
    Fishtales said:

If you are looking for Skies only, take a look at this one: http://www.daz3d.com/skies-of-economy

This time the .hdr-files are hiden in the Carrara Installer: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/15328/file_list

After unzipping the Carrara-Installer the path is: \Presets\Textures\DimensionTheory\SkiesOfEconomy\

Ah, thanks - I found the .hdr files now. I was getting confused over where to find my Product Library. Although they produce exactly the same results as the .tif files, so no improvement.

I have been looking at the Skies of Economy product but I'm sure I read somewhere in these forums that they don't work particularly well in Iray either. Could be wrong. Do you have any experience with them in Iray? Obviously the skydomes wouldn't work without all the necessary Iray workarounds, but can you just take the HDR files from them and apply them to the environment map instead?

Post edited by tl155180 on
  • Fishtales said:

Thats a nice use of the HDRI as a backdrop - I think if I use them at all then it'll probably be in a similar fashion. Most likely I'll use them as out-the-window scenery for my interiors.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

Skydomes don't work in Iray without some extra fiddling. That would be the purpose of a pure HDRI. There are plenty of sky only HRDI's about.

If it's and HDRI file the lighting will mathc the image by definition, unless you choose to add additional lighting.

Keely G3F OC Dial Iray 4.jpg
    4000 x 2667 - 602K
    edited September 2015
    fastbike1 said:

Skydomes don't work in Iray without some extra fiddling. That would be the purpose of a pure HDRI. There are plenty of sky only HRDI's about.

If it's and HDRI file the lighting will mathc the image by definition, unless you choose to add additional lighting.

It doesn't match it though, does it? In that image theres dappled light on the ground, but the light on the model is uniform. If you were to move her over one of those pools of light would it show up on her as a ray of light?

Theres no interaction with the scenery with an HDRI. Its just putting a model infront of a photograph in as convincing a manner as possible.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Unless it's a full 32 bit tif, it's got about as much range as a png or jpg...useless for lighting information.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

The model is in an area where the lighting is pretty uniform. I understand you have you mind made up, but you're still talking about a 3D mesh and a mathematical model of lighting. It won't ever be a photograph.

Your creation, your choices.

• fastbike1 said:

The model is in an area where the lighting is pretty uniform. I understand you have you mind made up, but you're still talking about a 3D mesh and a mathematical model of lighting. It won't ever be a photograph.

Your creation, your choices.

Ok, so what happens if you move the model over to those pools of light on the ground? Does that light show up on her as well?

If the HDR is aligned to the 'backdrop' version (which if there is nothing as a backdrop, it should be), then yes, moving the model so it's in one of the pools of light should have it show up.

edited September 2015
    mjc1016 said:

If the HDR is aligned to the 'backdrop' version (which if there is nothing as a backdrop, it should be), then yes, moving the model so it's in one of the pools of light should have it show up.

I don't understand what you just said there. What backdrop version?

Well, with the HDRs I've tried the lighting doesn't accurately reflect the varied nature of the lights on the ground of the scene image. But maybe all the HDRs I've tried have just been very poor quality. Assuming I'm wrong then, could someone show me a render where all of the lighting is done by the HDR and where dappled lights appearing on the ground also show up on the model? I've never seen that done before.

You can load an image to the dome as a backdrop only...or stick it on a plane or whatever (just not a sphere, without doing 'extras' to it).

Yes, it does take a very high range HDR to achieve.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

Most HDRIs aren't properly suited to provide accurate lighting information, and it takes a lot of hunting to find good ones.

A lot of people use the LUXO Pixar campus thing because it's one of the few with good lighting.

edited September 2015

Ok, thanks guys, thats what I thought. With most HDRIs the lighting information is not sufficiently accurate/detailed enough, in my opinion of course, to match the light thats actually displayed on the image. Hence why most renders done with an HDRI look odd to me. The models seem to pop out from the scenery.

I'm not knocking using HDRIs for just their lighting information - sometimes that can look pretty nice. But when using them for lighting and scene I think it takes a very impressive HDRI to make the model look like they're actually there. Thats all I'm trying to say.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

Agreed. I've been doing backflips and cartwheels for two months trying to figure out a way to create good HDRIs for lighting, and... yeah, now I think I might spring for Terragen ($200, gulp). Sigh

(Carrara can make good landscapes and spherical projections, but trying to massage them into proper HDRIs is just about impossible)

• To break the whole topic of HDRI-Lighting down on the lowest level: Someone with a special camera took a 360° photo at a specific time on a specific location.

So what do you expect? It is just a photo! The captured sun will never emitt real light. ;-)

You are still working with 3D-Software. You still have to add more lights, tweak settings and adjust intensities. HDRI-Lighting again isn´t the Make-Art-Button. Please, don´t be disapointed. :-)

• Actually, you can light with a good HDR.  I've used them on many occasions.  While you can supplement with more lights for fill lghts and other effects, a good HDR can be used by itself depending on the look you are after.  You can see good examples with products such as these:

http://www.daz3d.com/iradiance-hdri-variety-pack-one

http://www.daz3d.com/apocalyptic-plant-outdoors-set-1-iray-hdris

http://www.daz3d.com/iradiance-studio-hdris-for-iray

As a matter of fact, take a look at the video that DimensionalTheory made on using good HDRs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=64&v=nziaxyGJ1t0

MN-150374 said:

So what do you expect? It is just a photo! The captured sun will never emitt real light. ;-)

Not true.

A true, high dynamic range image has enough information contained within it to act as if it were one of those 3D lights you would add.  The algorithms in the renderer treat the bright spots in the image just as if they were lights.  The problems crop up when something is marketed as an HDR image but barely has more range than your average jpg. 

• mjc1016 said:
    MN-150374 said:

Not true.

A true, high dynamic range image has enough information contained within it to act as if it were one of those 3D lights you would add.  The algorithms in the renderer treat the bright spots in the image just as if they were lights.  The problems crop up when something is marketed as an HDR image but barely has more range than your average jpg. 

Yes, which is why I posted DT's video.  It's an excellent explanation of the need for proper HDRs and shows the differences of what happens when you are using images or products that are using jpgs in place of images with a full dynamic range.

Yes, which is why I posted DT's video.  It's an excellent explanation of the need for proper HDRs and shows the differences of what happens when you are using images or products that are using jpgs in place of images with a full dynamic range.

Yeah...

I really should watch that one, again.  Or add it to my list of HDR links...