Do these types of "gloves" have a special name other than "fingerless".

pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,538

Do these types of "gloves" have a special name (in the real fashion world) other than "fingerless".

Gen2F - Fatal Whisper - 19995 - Fingerless Elbow Gloves.tag.png
250 x 250 - 62K
Gen2F - Black Light - 17934 - Fingerless Gloves.tag.png
250 x 250 - 64K

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited May 2022

"Fingerless Opera Gloves"?... opera gloves are long like that... I think the ones dancers use have a name, but I can't remember... my friend owned a dancing school and she used to order them and I'm pretty sure I heard her mention it... I know way more about women's dance costumes than I ever, ever, ever wanted to know thanks to her.

Maybe check companies that make dance costumes... see what they call them.

Edit... so I think the name I was thinking of is "Mousquetaire", but looking around to double check, it seems they come both as fingerless and with fingers (well, not actual fingers inside... that's creepy)... that seems to be the name I vaguely remember, so it's probably just the same as "Opera Gloves" or "Bridal Gloves" and not anything more specific.

Sorry.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,167

McGyver said:

Edit... so I think the name I was thinking of is "Mousquetaire"

That was what the members of the French Mickey Mouse Club were called.

• oddboboddbob Posts: 348

That's the button up escape hatch on the wrist.

I do know some pointless drivel frown

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822
    edited May 2022

open finger mittens

or mitts

they are fingerless gloves if they have separate finger holes

your illustration are arm sleeves

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

oddbob said:

That's the button up escape hatch on the wrist.

I do know some pointless drivel frown

Apparently that is the name of the opening, not the glove...

When I googled it (spelled incorrectly I may add) it showed pictures of long evening glove type accessories for dance costumes... both fingerless and with fingers... being the OP's images were of fingerless gloves that look like they are part of a costume, I figured that was what they were looking for... 

I suppose if I would have scrolled down more I'd have noticed "Evening Gloves with Mousquetaire"... looking into it, it looks like a lot of people are misinformed as to what a Mousquetaire is... people on Etsy, Amazon and a bunch of random vendors seem think it's a glove type, but you are definitely correct, it's the name of the opening not the glove... Wikipedia confirms it... "The best-known type of opera glove, the mousquetaire, is given this name due to the wrist-level opening (most commonly three inches long) which is closed by three (usually) buttons or snap closures"..."The mousquetaire is originally derived from the gauntlets worn by French musketeers of the 16th and 17th centuries"... apparently the opening was so the lady wearing them could slip her hand out when dining.

WendyLuvsCats' more accurate suggestion of Arm Sleeves seems to yield far more results that are similar to the OP's pictures than my stupid "evening glove" suggestion.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690

"Mitts" are hand coverings that cover the fingers, but not separately. Generally, only the hands maybe to above wrist, but ususally short. Not to be confused with mittens. 

• beachlegsbeachlegs Posts: 475

lilflame has some called Mesmerize Gloves for Genesis 3 over at Rendo if you are looking for some.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,538

WendyLuvsCatz said:

open finger mittens

or mitts

they are fingerless gloves if they have separate finger holes

your illustration are arm sleeves

I would call them that but the artist usually calls them fingerless gloves. 

edited June 2022

IceScribe said:

"Mitts" are hand coverings that cover the fingers, but not separately. Generally, only the hands maybe to above wrist, but ususally short. Not to be confused with mittens. 

Tell me about it... I was so embarrassed when I found out that Mittens and Kittens were spelled differently, and that the latter were not meant to be worn... Which totally explains the fuss those little guys would put up... all that meowing and crying... but they do make great back scratchers if you tie them to a stick!

Post edited by McGyver on