Merging files bug?

Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
edited May 2022 in Daz Studio Discussion

Ever since DS 4.15, I've been having problems with the File Merge command.  My scene's tone mapping and enviromental settings are being overwritten whenever a file is merged. I thought I could lock these settings, but even locked settings get overwritten.

So, how can I merge a file without having my scene's settings overwritten?  Locking them does not work.

If I had a way to save these settings to file, then perhaps I could save them, merge, then load them again, but I don't see any such save option under File -> Save As.

Post edited by Seven193 on

Comments

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 234

There are three ways to overcome this:

1 - Save the render preset of your current scene before you merge another scene/character/subset/anything and then reload it afterwards. File -> Save As -> Render Settings Preset

2 - Load the scene you want to merge on its own and then re-save it as a scene subset with a new name, File -> Save As -> Scene Subset, removing the tonemapper options and environment options nodes when the options box pops up. When you merge that, your current scene's rendering options will still be in force.

3 - Reverse the loading order.  Load the scene you originally planned to merge *first* and then merge your *original* scene.

What you can't do (as far as I'm aware) is choose to not load the render settings of any merged scene, regardless if a lock is applied or not. You would expect your current loaded scene to take priority but, sadly, it doesn't. I'm pretty sure this changed around the time Filament and those additional scene items were introduced. The number of times I've quickly kicked off a render to discover it's being done at some random aspect ratio and size because I merged in something else....

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited May 2022

Thanks, I don't think render settings cover tone mapping and environmental anymore, it's behavior might have changed since DS 4.15.  But, you gave me an idea, I could just delete everything and save an empty scene. Then merge that empty scene to restore my old settings.

Post edited by Seven193 on
  • TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 234
    edited May 2022

Render Settings does cover Tone Mapping and Environment. It's in the options box that pops up. Just merge that save file back in and you're done. 

You can save a blank scene as well I guess, but Save As -> Render Settings does what it says on the tin. Try it...

(There is an option in Preferences/Scene to ignore Render Settings when a file is loaded but that would become hugely annoying to use on a regular basis)

Post edited by TimberWolf on