GN Jun Jie HD Appreciation

I just wanted to say that this is a stunning character - it's also one that I have been looking for for a very long time. There are a few older HD Asian males that are very well done and photorealistic, and a lot of very stylized/anime young ones, but this is the first model that I have seen who has that perfect-but-realistic kdrama look. He's wonderful and I don't think the promo images really captured how real he can look. So if you're on the fence about this one, he's totally worth it (from someone who has spent most of the day rendering shots of him, haha).

https://www.daz3d.com/gn-jun-jie-hd-for-genesis-81-males

The attached image isn't a realistic portrait, but it's the first one that I've used him for.

prince_foxes_ravven.jpg
1667 x 2500 - 4M

Comments

• sidsid Posts: 399

He looks great in the attachment! You'll have to render a realistic one for us when your graphics card is next free... I'm just having trouble picturing it from the promos.

• sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 497

sid said:

He looks great in the attachment! You'll have to render a realistic one for us when your graphics card is next free... I'm just having trouble picturing it from the promos.

Seeing him on sale meant I  had fewer reasons to resist :) Not OP but here are some fairly realistic renders of him in different light. One side by side with the HD version, another in a scene no edits, and the last slight changes but no post edits. I really liked his mesh so I imagine he'll be fun to dial in to some other sculpts too.

jun2_o.png
    2500 x 1667 - 3M
    Screenshot 2022-05-22 202511.jpg
    2476 x 1356 - 446K

Thanks, Sunnyjei! I think he'd look really good with other GN characters. The GM materials always look stylized to me, but not in a bad way.

• LintonLinton Posts: 541

How the hell did I miss this? Grabbed him for the cart, thanks for posting about him!

sid said:

Thanks, Sunnyjei! I think he'd look really good with other GN characters. The GM materials always look stylized to me, but not in a bad way.

Completely untouched he lookes more stylized to me too which depending on the final intent could work well. These days I'm trying for more photo realism so I think I would likely use his mesh but play around with other skin on top and other small tweaks :) Glad to help.

• I'm honestly in love with his face, I think he's one of the most striking characters I've seen in a long time. (Especially being a huge kdrama fan!) This is a crop from one of the recent renders.

jun_wizard.jpg
    783 x 1000 - 615K

ravvenkitsune said:

I'm honestly in love with his face, I think he's one of the most striking characters I've seen in a long time. (Especially being a huge kdrama fan!) This is a crop from one of the recent renders.

Love how he turned out here! Care to share what you did for his skin to make it so life life- and if you like him did you check out Kento 8.1?

• sunnyjei said:

Love how he turned out here! Care to share what you did for his skin to make it so life life- and if you like him did you check out Kento 8.1?

Thanks! I used him pretty much as-is in terms of skin textures, since he was sculpted in SubD Level 4. Sometimes I'll use Auto Face Enhancer, or switch out the skin and eyes, but he didn't need it and I wanted that perfect skin rather than adding a lot of pore detail, lines, scars. I think I might have bumped the cheekbones up a bit, just personal preference. Lighting was Render Studio 3 HDRI, just to get him backlit properly and to add some teal tones to the lighting to make him look less pink. I personally find lighting to be really challenging to do right, but I think it has the biggest effect on the photoreal quality of the final render.

I do like Kento, he's on my wishlist but I don't have him yet. With prices as they are I try not to buy anything unless it's at a certain discount. I'll get him when I can, as I think he has a lot of potential. 

ravvenkitsune said:

sunnyjei said:

Thanks! I used him pretty much as-is in terms of skin textures, since he was sculpted in SubD Level 4. Sometimes I'll use Auto Face Enhancer, or switch out the skin and eyes, but he didn't need it and I wanted that perfect skin rather than adding a lot of pore detail, lines, scars. I think I might have bumped the cheekbones up a bit, just personal preference. Lighting was Render Studio 3 HDRI, just to get him backlit properly and to add some teal tones to the lighting to make him look less pink. I personally find lighting to be really challenging to do right, but I think it has the biggest effect on the photoreal quality of the final render.

I do like Kento, he's on my wishlist but I don't have him yet. With prices as they are I try not to buy anything unless it's at a certain discount. I'll get him when I can, as I think he has a lot of potential. 

That's even more impressive that you got his default skin to look that good (didn't think it looked bad just didn't realize it could look that life like). Not sure if I have that lighting but going to play around and see- getting skin to look 'real' is always a challenge for me. Kento was a bit higher than I wanted to pay but his meta mixer worked out great as I just wanted the head and had skin already that I felt would work well with him. That might be something to consider if you are more interested in the head and not the whole package? I think your pics are going to cause sales of this guy to go up though :)

• sunnyjei said:

That's even more impressive that you got his default skin to look that good (didn't think it looked bad just didn't realize it could look that life like). Not sure if I have that lighting but going to play around and see- getting skin to look 'real' is always a challenge for me. Kento was a bit higher than I wanted to pay but his meta mixer worked out great as I just wanted the head and had skin already that I felt would work well with him. That might be something to consider if you are more interested in the head and not the whole package? I think your pics are going to cause sales of this guy to go up though :)

I do think lighting plays a massive part in how well you can get a character to look, but it can't make up for a lack of HD detail. I've seen portraits of characters that if I didn't recognise them, I would have sworn that they were a photo of a real person. Millawa and Juan Carlos come to mind, I've seen gorgeous shots that people have done. (Jealous, haha!) I do need to play around a lot more with MetaMixer, I haven't done much with it yet.

ravvenkitsune said:

sunnyjei said:

I do think lighting plays a massive part in how well you can get a character to look, but it can't make up for a lack of HD detail. I've seen portraits of characters that if I didn't recognise them, I would have sworn that they were a photo of a real person. Millawa and Juan Carlos come to mind, I've seen gorgeous shots that people have done. (Jealous, haha!) I do need to play around a lot more with MetaMixer, I haven't done much with it yet.

Looking at the second render you did of him I would have thought he was real or one of the highly realistic cg actors I've been seeing for some fantasy Chinese dramas my mom is really into these dayswink Anywho really well done- love all the tone variation you got in his skin!

• mdingmding Posts: 1,137

sunnyjei said

Not sure if I have that lighting but going to play around and see

https://www.daz3d.com/render-studio-3--hdri 

...is for sale atm at $3.59

I don't know for how long, it is in the AAPI grabbag.

mding said:

sunnyjei said

Not sure if I have that lighting but going to play around and see

https://www.daz3d.com/render-studio-3--hdri 

...is for sale atm at $3.59

I don't know for how long, it is in the AAPI grabbag.

My wallet thanks you :)

ravvenkitsune said:

I'm honestly in love with his face, I think he's one of the most striking characters I've seen in a long time. (Especially being a huge kdrama fan!) This is a crop from one of the recent renders.

He does look great here too. (Love that lighting set as well) 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,747

I had built a cart with him and some others highlighted in the AAPI sale, but a Flash Sale late afternoon happened and I stupidly cleared the cart without making a screen shot, tested the one item I thought I might buy from the flash sale, then decided to not buy. Today, the AAPI sale is gone. GN Jun Jie HD is full price and I can't recall the names of the other PAs who were also part of the sale. Some were ones I never paid attention to before, but I looked at their outfits and something clicked in my head. I could kick myself. 

At least I put Jun Jie on my wishlist.

Thank you for bringing him to my attention.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,747

Thank you @mding. I have some of those.

I went through the list of PAs in the store this morning and found a few of them, made sure the outfits I found were wishlisted. But I know there was one I think is from Korea that I missed. Of course there were a few I have known for a long time, but a few that surprised me. I check the store daily and somehow missed their products. 

Isn't it funny that when a select group of PAs are highlighted and you look at their stores with a particular focus you see the items in a new light and appreciate the quality. If there is a sale, so much the better. And why I am kicking myself for dumping that cart for a flash sale item I didn't buy after all. 

Mary

• mdingmding Posts: 1,137

memcneil70 said:

Isn't it funny that when a select group of PAs are highlighted and you look at their stores with a particular focus you see the items in a new light and appreciate the quality. 

I had the same experience, sometimes i have the feeling i see a product for the first time and ask myself how in the world i could have overlooked that, lol.