After 8hrs only 0% canvas was written

8hrs and only 72 iray iterations done and zero percent canvas written. Any ideas what is going wrong? My scene has alot in in it from ultra environment. What can i do to finish this render ?

Comments

• It's quite possible it has dropped to CPU. It's also possible that each iteration is taking a long time because the set up of the scene has a lot of bounces with slow decay. Do you have Iray set to use CPU as well as GPU? If not check Task Manager (or the mac equivalent - Process Exploreer?) to see if the CPU is being used at 100% (which would probably indicate CPU fallback). You could also check the log,

%AppData%/daz 3d/studio4/log.txt

for Windows (paste that into a file Explorer address bar to open) and scroll to the end to see render-related messages.

• It's quite possible it has dropped to CPU. It's also possible that each iteration is taking a long time because the set up of the scene has a lot of bounces with slow decay. Do you have Iray set to use CPU as well as GPU? If not check Task Manager (or the mac equivalent - Process Exploreer?) to see if the CPU is being used at 100% (which would probably indicate CPU fallback). You could also check the log,

for Windows (paste that into a file Explorer address bar to open) and scroll to the end to see render-related messages.

I think it's sleep mode on my pc. I turned it off and the iterations are moving faster
  • Richard Haseltine said:

It's quite possible it has dropped to CPU. It's also possible that each iteration is taking a long time because the set up of the scene has a lot of bounces with slow decay. Do you have Iray set to use CPU as well as GPU? If not check Task Manager (or the mac equivalent - Process Exploreer?) to see if the CPU is being used at 100% (which would probably indicate CPU fallback). You could also check the log,

I checked task manager as well and it seems my cpu is being used. I'm kinda commited to this render now though lol. Afterwards how do i make sure that it stays on GPU only. I could have sworn I changed this. Could it have reverted back when it crashed

• Well, the question is was it set to use the CPU? If it was (which is often not optimal) then CPU at 100% proves nothing. Go to the Performance tab of task manager (you will need More Details enabled), select the GPU on the elft, and set one of the graphs to CUDA - does that show high activity too?

• Well, the question is was it set to use the CPU? If it was (which is often not optimal) then CPU at 100% proves nothing. Go to the Performance tab of task manager (you will need More Details enabled), select the GPU on the elft, and set one of the graphs to CUDA - does that show high activity too?

So I changed a setting that said something like force cpu. I unchecked cpu render in photo realism. Now in task manager cpu usage is way down. And Cuda graph says 100%
  • OK, so it is using the GPU. Is it still slow? If so we need more specific details of the scene to guess what is holding it back.

• OK, so it is using the GPU. Is it still slow? If so we need more specific details of the scene to guess what is holding it back.

I think the biggest issue is that it's a ultra scenery render. I generated the forest and stream. Add 2 g8 figures a boat and a caravan. Currently it's rendering using 14% of the gpu. In task manager settings it's saying I'm using 8/24gbs of my gpu memory
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

UltraScenery scenes usually render within 10 minutes for me. It sounds like you have a powerful card (24gb?) so  it should be a lot faster unless the figures are like level 4-5 subd.

• Paintbox said:

UltraScenery scenes usually render within 10 minutes for me. It sounds like you have a powerful card (24gb?) so  it should be a lot faster unless the figures are like level 4-5 subd.

I am unfamiliar with sub levels. This is only my second week lol.
  • reflectivewanderer said:

Paintbox said:

Select the figures and in the parameters pane look in the mesh Resolution group - the Render  Level is the setting of interest. If it says <?> that means the two have different settings, which might mean one has a higher than default value - select individually in that case to see their values.

• Richard Haseltine said:

reflectivewanderer said:

Paintbox said:

Select the figures and in the parameters pane look in the mesh Resolution group - the Render  Level is the setting of interest. If it says <?> that means the two have different settings, which might mean one has a higher than default value - select individually in that case to see their values.

considering i rendered the image without the figures is considerably less time. I bet it has something to do with them. I hit the render button 5 hrs ago and its at 238 iterations and 0 % canvas written. guess i will cancel this one again in the hopes i can get the time down further.

Richard Haseltine said:

reflectivewanderer said:

Paintbox said:

considering i rendered the image without the figures is considerably less time. I bet it has something to do with them. I hit the render button 5 hrs ago and its at 238 iterations and 0 % canvas written. guess i will cancel this one again in the hopes i can get the time down further.

i just canceled the render and looked at the render subd level and it is set to 2. Resolution level set to high. I cant remember if i mentioned im using a rtx2070 card.  also i think i was mistaken about the memory. Task manager says 8gb of dedicated memory

• stefan.humsstefan.hums Posts: 130

reflectivewanderer said:

I think the biggest issue is that it's a ultra scenery render.

UltraScenery uses instancing. In Render Settings -> Optimization, have you set Instancing Optimization to "Memory"? With the default setting "Auto", Iray does NOT use geometry instancing, converts all  the existing geometry instances back to single objects - and wastes tons of geometry memory with that, with the result that rendering falls back to CPU if you do not have enough VRAM available.

UltraScenery uses instancing. In Render Settings -> Optimization, have you set Instancing Optimization to "Memory"? With the default setting "Auto", Iray does NOT use geometry instancing, converts all  the existing geometry instances back to single objects - and wastes tons of geometry memory with that, with the result that rendering falls back to CPU if you do not have enough VRAM available.

It was set to memory. At this point I think the file is corrupted. It wouldn't let me save the scene without saving it as a different file

stefan.hums said:

reflectivewanderer said:

It was set to memory. At this point I think the file is corrupted. It wouldn't let me save the scene without saving it as a different file

That may also indicate that the Author setting in your version of daz Studio, Edit>Preferences, had been changed - if the author set in the application doesn't match the author in the file then Save is treated as Save As (to avoid overwriting third-party content).

stefan.hums said:

reflectivewanderer said:

That may also indicate that the Author setting in your version of daz Studio, Edit>Preferences, had been changed - if the author set in the application doesn't match the author in the file then Save is treated as Save As (to avoid overwriting third-party content).

Well I reloaded the file. Also realized it was set to a 4k resolution. I dropped it to 2k to match my monitor and hit render. It's going much faster. 500 iterations in a hour. Still taking time but better than 8hrs and 120 iterations lol