Painter's light morph

Tigerlily37Tigerlily37 Posts: 48
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi, does anyone know what morph/figure was used for the Painter's lights promo? I love it .

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254
    edited December 1969

I'm interested in the (probably) dynamic classical outfit in the Old World promo.

I mean, it's Studio lights, right? One would assume that the outfit works in Studio. (Although if the model was just imported, lit and rendered we ought to be told that, too.)

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,360
    edited December 1969

It's probably some version of Ninive since Nimue hair is also visible in the promos, probably altered with some G2F head morphs adjustments.

• j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    edited December 1969

The texture for the character is Lilith. The morph is a lot of dial spinning + some custom morphs. It doesn't have any transferred gen1 morphs so it is conceptually sharable, however it would come with a list of required elements and several "oh, by the way I have a bunch of morphs with non default limits and those won't be changed to the correct value by a preset, you need to alter their limits and save that" The good is is my characters are moving away from dial-spun to fully custom morphs, so future characters should be a bit more package-able.

The dress is not dynamic! (well it was modeled by draping it in blender) It has a rig, but it still needs some work. Its one of several of my "learn how to rig by rigging something terrible for rigging" dresses. You can see it in a full body image here http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/70459/ If I can make it more useable with complex poses I'll probably submit it to the store, If not I'll stick it on sharecg.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254
    edited December 1969

I shall have to hope that the project is successful. I really like that dress. So useful for so many "artistic" setups.

• Tigerlily37Tigerlily37 Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

The texture for the character is Lilith. The morph is a lot of dial spinning + some custom morphs. It doesn't have any transferred gen1 morphs so it is conceptually sharable, however it would come with a list of required elements and several "oh, by the way I have a bunch of morphs with non default limits and those won't be changed to the correct value by a preset, you need to alter their limits and save that" The good is is my characters are moving away from dial-spun to fully custom morphs, so future characters should be a bit more package-able.

The dress is not dynamic! (well it was modeled by draping it in blender) It has a rig, but it still needs some work. Its one of several of my "learn how to rig by rigging something terrible for rigging" dresses. You can see it in a full body image here http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/70459/ If I can make it more useable with complex poses I'll probably submit it to the store, If not I'll stick it on sharecg.[/quote thanks for the reply. I love that face and if you feel like sharing it, I would be grateful. The dress is very cool as well.
    Thanks.

• Tigerlily37Tigerlily37 Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

kamion99
    Thanks for the reply. I love the face if you are willing to share,I would be grateful. The dress is very cool too. Good job. I am going to pick up th light set tonite

Thanks

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

Dare I ask whether the promo images have postwork? I ask because they seem to avoid that cardboard cut-out look that is often a feature of 3Delight renders (the sharp edges at the outline of human figures). Your images look soft and natural and if that is a result of your lights then that says a lot for them, IMHO.

edited December 1969

No postwork (other than adding the text obviously) The single greatest feature of Iray IMO is the ability to add geometry to the lights without really any uptick in rendering time. Makes soft lighting so much easier.

edited June 2015

Kamion99 said:
    No postwork (other than adding the text obviously) The single greatest feature of Iray IMO is the ability to add geometry to the lights without really any uptick in rendering time. Makes soft lighting so much easier.

Oh, I am sorry. I didn't realise they are Iray lights - I assumed they were for use with 3Delight. I guess this shows how quickly Iray has become the default engine.

I don't use Iray - it is very slow in CPU mode on my iMac and I can't upgrade my GPU.

You might want to change the Compatible Software from DS 4.7 to DS 4.8?

Post edited by marble on
    edited December 1969

How much memory do you have? All my images were rendered on CPU on a laptop with 8gb of memory, and they all took around 10-30 minutes. Not to toot my own horn, but lighting really plays one the biggest role in render times. Nice, even, direct light renders blazing, rely a lot on bounce light and you'll need leave you're render to cook overnight.

• DancingCatDancingCat Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

I, too, love your work! Awesome morph, lighting and clothing! Thanks for letting us know what is behind your images. If you find a way to package the morph, I'll be first (well, maybe second after Tigerlily37 ;-) ) in line.

edited December 1969

Kamion99 said:
    How much memory do you have? All my images were rendered on CPU on a laptop with 8gb of memory, and they all took around 10-30 minutes. Not to toot my own horn, but lighting really plays one the biggest role in render times. Nice, even, direct light renders blazing, rely a lot on bounce light and you'll need leave you're render to cook overnight.

Yes. I'm the first to admit that I don't know how to set up scenes for Iray which is probably why they take hours on my iMac. I have 24Gb Ram (but that isn't GPU VRAM, of course).

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

What processor do you have to go with all that RAM?

Because, if it is almost any quad core or more processor, nothing should take more than a couple of hours...and that would be a very full scene. I've had 3DL scenes with full GI, Luxrender scenes (and I can't do Iray on this machine, since I can't get 64 bit Studio to work on it...and the Windows machine it does work on is even lower spec), render in under 2 - 3 hrs on a slow Phenom II quad core with 8 GB of RAM...at up to some pretty big image sizes. Seldom do I run more than 2 hrs...and if I do, it's usually a Luxrender one, that I just let go overnight.

In CPU mode, Iray shouldn't be any slower than 3DL (similar lighting is needed though...comparing Iray to a 3DL render that doesn't have full GI isn't really comparing them). And the few Iray renders I've done on the other machine that it does run on, fall at around the same speeds as 3DL...which is faster than Luxrender, but a fair margin, on that box.

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    edited June 2015

Kamion are these iray lights? It doesn't say iray anywhere in the product details, and says 4.7, so I just assumed 3delight lights and ruled out buying it. I think this needs urgent clarification, as if they are for iray, I will happily buy the set :)

Post edited by Redz on
  • AprilYSHAprilYSH Posts: 1,481
    edited December 1969

Great job Kamion99! Your morphs and clothing look great too and I hope you do package them up one day.
    Why is your vendor name different? Just curious :)

edited December 1969

They are Iray, I'm just terrible at promo writing and so forgot to make that clear.

As to the username, somewhere around 2010 I switched to variants of Jack Cade as my go to username, because he's my favorite random Shakespeare character, I just already had a forum username. At some point I'll probably get bored with it and switch over to something Opera themed (Nymph Plataea is tempting, especially if I use this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Jélyotte_by_Coypel.jpg as my forum image)

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    What processor do you have to go with all that RAM?

Because, if it is almost any quad core or more processor, nothing should take more than a couple of hours...and that would be a very full scene. I've had 3DL scenes with full GI, Luxrender scenes (and I can't do Iray on this machine, since I can't get 64 bit Studio to work on it...and the Windows machine it does work on is even lower spec), render in under 2 - 3 hrs on a slow Phenom II quad core with 8 GB of RAM...at up to some pretty big image sizes. Seldom do I run more than 2 hrs...and if I do, it's usually a Luxrender one, that I just let go overnight.

In CPU mode, Iray shouldn't be any slower than 3DL (similar lighting is needed though...comparing Iray to a 3DL render that doesn't have full GI isn't really comparing them). And the few Iray renders I've done on the other machine that it does run on, fall at around the same speeds as 3DL...which is faster than Luxrender, but a fair margin, on that box.

I have a Ivy Bridge i7 CPU - it is a late 2012 iMac. I didn't do much testing but I did a few single character portraits and the speed was reasonable but a fully loaded scene with room, 3 characters, clothing and furniture was taking hours so I stopped it. That was normal when I used Reality 2.5/Luxrender but Reality 4 introduced support for SSS and with it came lots of render noise (blobs of red and white bright spots) so I went back to 3Delight. I was told on the RDNA forum to expect long render times with SSS. I assume that is true for Iray too?

When there are some decent tutorials explaining how to set up the lighting and materials - especially for human skin - I will have another go at Iray. I'm also interested to see what the new Reality/Luxrender brings although I think there could be quite a wait for that. I'm also wary of getting into another spending spree with Iray Lights, Iray Shaders, etc., etc. I've already done that with 3Delight but it was not an issue with Reality.

3Delight has improved in 4.8 too. With AoA Advanced lights and some good skin shaders (I use Amazing Skins from this store) the render times are very good. As I said, the scene I described above is taking about 15 minutes in 3Delight. While I do prefer the softer, more natural look that is evident in the promo pictures for this product, I can put up with the slightly less realistic look of a 3Delight render when that render only takes 15 minutes.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

There are ways to 'fix' the splots in Lux...but that should probably be another thread.

Now, the long times with Iray...one of the first ways to make sure you are getting good render times. Actually convert the materials...don't rely on autoconversion. Third is to properly set the lighting (like not using an additional dome, if you are wanting to use an HDR or sky map....), reasonable/sane luminance values and 'exposures'. Camera settings and exposure settings are very critical in Iray.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    There are ways to 'fix' the splots in Lux...but that should probably be another thread.

Now, the long times with Iray...one of the first ways to make sure you are getting good render times. Actually convert the materials...don't rely on autoconversion. Third is to properly set the lighting (like not using an additional dome, if you are wanting to use an HDR or sky map....), reasonable/sane luminance values and 'exposures'. Camera settings and exposure settings are very critical in Iray.

Yes, I remember some of these things cropping up when I tested Iray.

1. IBL/HDR Sky maps - didn't know how to use them in Iray nor when to use them. Most of my Scenes are indoors anyway so are they any use to me?

2. Luminence settings - there seems to be a range from zero to 10 gazillion. How is one supposed to guess right?

3. Camera settings. I used to tinker with an SLR camera in my younger days so I had an idea about film speeds and ISO settings. F-Stop setting in Luxrender does not seem to tally with what I remember but that was a long time ago.

Again, I need to read some of the threads about this stuff but I'm not quite ready to have another try with Iray right now. It would be wonderful if all that information could be condensed into a few tutorials. I've no doubt it will be one day.

edited June 2015

I decided to have another go with Iray, considering some of the advice in this - and other - threads.

This is a simple render with a night HDR image in the dome and a single spotlight. I converted all the materials to Iray, remembered to switch off the headlamp and hit render. There are no people in the scene and it renders quickly ( a couple of minutes) in 3Delight. Iray with CPU only was stopped at 18 minutes and this is the result. If you click for full size, you will see that there is still quite a lot of noise, especially in the shadows.

Iray_Render_18m.jpg
    1481 x 1272 - 469K
    Post edited by marble on
    edited June 2015

By comparison, here the same room in 3Delight. No dome/HDR - I used a backplane instead. I also used the AoA grass shaders on the lawn. There are 3 AoA Advanced lights (one of them Ambient). 3Delight render time was about 3 minutes. Note the reflections in the window glass which don't appear to be there in the IRay render.

3DL_Room_Render.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 522K
    Post edited by marble on