Help using genesis-eyebrows

VicSVicS Posts: 1,209
edited July 2022 in Daz Studio Discussion

Help using genesis-eyebrows

there is no instructions I found

I cannot figure out how to make this work,

Selecting the shape that comes in and trying to apply material doesn't do anything

thanks for the help

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-eyebrows

2022-07-03_204134.png
2249 x 1952 - 4M
Post edited by VicS on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,053

you're supposed to apply the material for the character to the eyebrows first, then use one of the shapes materials.

• VicSVicS Posts: 1,209

i dont find eyebrows in scene or surfaces either and they cannot be selected

with full figure selected I tried again both different ways, neither worked

second one changed eyebrow shape but cannot get rid of the white shape thing

2022-07-04_042349.png
    2813 x 2004 - 4M
    2022-07-04_042548.png
    2680 x 1978 - 4M

It's most likely parented to the head of the figure.

I applied the material to white prop, selected white prop and in surface made white prop invisible, that worked however....old genesis  eyebrows are still there, isnt there anh editor to take out things that do not show up in surfaces, I forgot the name or where to find it, do you know the one I mean

You're not supposed to make the white area invisible, you're supposed to apply your character materials to that surface so that it adds a layer of "skin" over the original eyebrows.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Leana said:

You're not supposed to make the white area invisible, you're supposed to apply your character materials to that surface so that it adds a layer of "skin" over the original eyebrows.

I remember this did not work properly for me, so I just used the masks as opacitymaps with much better results;) 

Can you explain how to use the masks as properltymaps please, thanks

Leana when I apply material to that white surface it stays white though the new eyebrows come in but that shape is still there

But I know there is a tool to set opacity for products like one click hair or  skin overlay when there is no geometry to select . If anyone knows the name of that tool or dialogue box and how to find it please let me know. I want to try to use it on remaining original genesis eyebrows that cannot be selected to make transparent in surfaces

VicS said:

Leana when I apply material to that white surface it stays white though the new eyebrows come in but that shape is still there

I don't remember how the surface is called on the eyebrows, I thought it had the same name as the face surface so materials would work directly but it might be that you're supposed to copy the material from the face and paste it to the eyebrows surface rather than use the material directly.

But how do you select genesis eyebrow surface. When all it let's you do is select full face and eyebrows does not show up in surfaces once the face has been selected 

It was the layered image editor I was looking for but the surface of genesis face and the eyebrows are on the same same surface so not possible to make the eybrows transparent there either

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,887

since Cris Palomino is one of the PAs, perhaps she can answer this

edited July 2022

I gave them a try in 3DL on Genesis1.

1 Loaded G1 Caitlyn

2 With G1 selected, loaded the Genesis eyebrows

3 Selected the eyebrows base and loaded materials preset 04

4 The brows have two materials, one face and one for the brows. Copied the face of Caitlyn and pasted onto SkinFace. Re-loaded the SkinFace alpha mask into opacity. The brows already loaded with their own opacitymap.

What I used to do was simply hide (opacity=o) the SkinFace and just use the brows with their own opacity map. Otherwise I always got ugly looking seams despite the mask.

Three renders, the original Caitlyn, Genesis brows with the SkinFace, and with only the brows surface:

Of course getting the brow remover is a good idea. Someone else will have to explain how to best convert this to IRay...

G1 Caitlyn default.png
    800 x 600 - 255K
    G1 Caitlyn eybrow base with SkinFace.png
    800 x 600 - 255K
    G1 Caitlyn eybrow base with no SkinFace.png
    800 x 600 - 256K
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited July 2022

Wendy I wrote to WillDupre but have not heard back from and in  my experience names with spaces in between them daz will not let you send a message to that PA such as Cris Palomino

if anyone knows and can contact Cris Palomino and ask to post a solution here that would be great

Sven, Ill try your method, hopefully the same will work for iray, I never use 3DL have no idea how to make renders look like anyhting in it

Post edited by VicS on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,887

VicS said:

Wendy I wrote to WillDupre but have not heard back from and in  my experience names with spaces in between them daz will not let you send a message to that PA such as Cris Palomino

if anyone knows and can contact Cris Palomino and ask to post a solution here that would be great

Sven, Ill try your method, hopefully the same will work for iray, I never use 3DL have no idea how to make renders look like anyhting in it

She is one of the forum mods 

Oh that sounds good,  how would I go about to contact her through the forum?

VicS said:

In IRay I suppose drop the brow texture into cutout opacity, hide the SkinFace surface and go from there... 

Sven which one is this one? SkinFace alpha mask 

little confused on that part, thanks

edited July 2022

VicS said:

Sven which one is this one? SkinFace alpha mask 

little confused on that part, thanks

No, that's for blending the SkinFace surface with the Genesis face. I used this one:

Look in the folder where the textures live. There are diffuse color maps that go into base color, and greyscale alpha maps that can be used in cutout opacity.

GenesisBrows .png
    1895 x 891 - 690K
    edited July 2022

[as requested] Genesis brows converted to IRay: (Didn't bother removing the original brows)

1 Loaded the DeepSeaEve HD character 

2  Selected Genesis and loaded Genesis Eyebrows. made sure they were fitted to Genesis.

3 Selected the eyebrow base and loaded materials preset 1

4 With the eyebrow base selected AND both the FaceSkin and the brows surfaces selected, I doubleclicked the IRayUber base to apply the IRay shader.

5 I selected the SkinFace surface and hid it by setting cutout opacity to 0

6 I selected the brows surface and made sure the essential maps are correctly loaded into the shader (See attachments)

7 Hit render.

G1brows base color.png
    470 x 677 - 84K
    G1brows base bump.png
    462 x 685 - 92K
    G1brows cutout opacity.png
    481 x 744 - 97K
    G1brows displacement.png
    1873 x 851 - 622K
    G1 DeepSeaEve Genesis eyebrows IRay.png
    800 x 600 - 403K
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

I also left a message for Will as this is such an old product, that I can't remember how it works. Since Will was the geometry guy, he would have a better handle on this.

Thank you Sven I tried again old eyebrows still there, all the maps the same as your images except there is no map in displacement and i didnt know where to look to put a map there

just wanted to clarify since I wrote a few days ago I wouldn't be able to message Cris Palomino-anytime I had tried in the past to message a PA with a space in the name it did not work, tried again and it did go through, guess I was wrong about the space thing

Thank you Cris, look forward to also seeing how Will makes this work

2022-07-06_041530.png
    1687 x 939 - 1M
    2022-07-06_041635.png
    1563 x 1284 - 2M
    2022-07-06_041848.png
    1544 x 1814 - 6M
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,540

You have different shaders set for the SkinFace on the EyeBrowBase and the SkinFace of the character.

In order to copy materials from one surface to another, the shaders must be the same

edited July 2022

PerttiA I am confused, how do I set both of them the same?

when I copied skinface from genesiseyebrows and then select genesis face and paste copied materials heres my result

2022-07-06_045333.png
    2195 x 1734 - 7M
    Post edited by VicS on

I just tried message to a PA to compliment them on an awesome set I just got and daz says I must select at least one recipient, this name has no space inbetween,  I am just trying to figure out why it will not let you send sometimes -  is it that the PA can choose if they can get messages or not?

thanks

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,540

You have a shader called "Iray Uber Base", you can use that to convert the surface to Iray and there may be one also to convert to 3DL, but I don't use 3DL, so I'm not sure.

Without changing the shader on one of the surfaces, you cannot copy the material from one to the other.

... and again, to apply a shader to a surface you need to have the figure/object selected in the scene tab AND the surface(s) selected in the surface editor pane...

I have gone through the process again please see my video

https://youtu.be/NWHyH7ZSEPo

when making "genesis eyebrows" transparent we see the original eyebrows are still present 

edited July 2022

That's what BrowRemover is for;) Use it (search the store) to remove the painted on brows. Or try to use the included morphs to place the GenesisBrows exactly on top of the painted ones. Select the brow base and look at morphs in parameters. You might have to "show hidden" in the little menu on top.

Btw your video is private.