Looking for Iray info.

SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
edited December 1969 in New Users

I know nothing about Iray. Are there tutorials/guides about it, or threads which explain in terms even I can understand?
For example:
what's the difference between Photoreal and Interactive? Which takes longer to render?

And under Photoreal Devices should I tick CPU or GeForce 820M?

All info welcome!

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,993
    edited June 2015

SteveM17 said:
    I know nothing about Iray. Are there tutorials/guides about it, or threads which explain in terms even I can understand?
    For example:
    what's the difference between Photoreal and Interactive? Which takes longer to render?

And under Photoreal Devices should I tick CPU or GeForce 820M?

All info welcome!

Try here, it covers most topics Iray:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56788/

Photoreal and Interactive are two different ways of calculations, AFAIK. Normally, leave it to photorealism.
    Click both CPU and the GeForce. Make sure your Geforce card has the latest drivers installed. If the scene fits into your VRam, then it will render superfast. If it doesn't fit, it will be automatically rendered by CPU.
    Oh, and also one thing:
    - Skydomes don't work in Iray. Delete them from the scene, or you'll get complete darkness in Dome&Sun;/Sky renders.
    - to control the lights, use "lumiance" at the bottom of the light settings. The light color is controlled by "temperature". The upper part of the settings is reserved for 3Delight. If you use a light different from the sunlight or HDRI-dome lights (like spotlight), make sure you crank up the lumiance to 45.000 or higher. And "Distant light" needs to be tuned down to 10-15 units, or your image suffers light blowout. ;-P Optionally, you can try messing around with the Tonemapping settings in the Render tab "Tonemapping". That works like your basic photo camera settings. The tonemapping settings are perfect for a sunny day outdoors setting - everything else is either too dark or too bright.
    - Procedural shaders do not work in Iray, and the same goes for LAMH and Garibaldi hairs. LAMH will get an update sometime soon, though.
    - Don't get discouraged. It's a lot of new stuff to learn, and it's frustrating (I look like a Klingon after all that headbanging in frustration ;-)) but once you grasped the basics, it's not as intimidating as it is when you first look at it. :-)

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited December 1969

Thanks a lot - it all sounds interesting and I will no doubt end up with a headache!

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

There is also this video tut from Sickleyield on YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5FZ5gS9v50

She has quite a few very useful ones on Iray, they are worth watching.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,993
    edited June 2015

@ steve: yes, the headaches will surely happen. :-)
    I forgot to mention, checking OptiX optimization in the render settings might accelerate your renders quite a bit, though I've heard that there's a chance for major system misbehaviours if you have an AMD processor under your hood.
    @ JimmyC : The video is very good, but it was done for the Beta. It's worth noting that since then, the separate photovolumetric lights have been merged with the normal lights, which makes things quite a bit confusing, i.e. if you are new to Iray/4.8.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited December 1969

Thanks again guys.

Just looking around the menus on DS4.8 - so many options! It can be a bit overwhelming. All fun and games though...