Genesis 1, 2 & 3 eyes, What is the secret?

jdavison67jdavison67 Posts: 587
edited December 1969 in The Commons

What is the deal with the Genesis characters eyes.

I have a hell of a time getting a render where the eyes don't look either fogged or Matted.

The eyes have no depth and the irises look cartoon-ish. It is the worst on male characters.

What is the trick here?

I have seen good looking eyes in promos, but have never experienced them in my renders.

I experience this in both IRAY and 3Dlight.

The funny thing is with my Victoria 4 renders, the eyes look great, and I don't do anything to them.

JD

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

In Iray, put the thin water shader on the cornea and water/tear/eyesurface materials. Change the cornea's refraction to 1.38. Then aim a weak spotlight directly at the character's eyes to create that pretty, perfect reflection effect. Always have a full HDR or a 360 degree environment for reflection.

In 3Delight, use UberSurface with refractions of 1.44 (all transparent eye bits) and 1.38 (cornea only). It's also good to make sure you have a full reflective sphere, skydome or environment for the eyes to reflect in this engine. A weak spotlight aimed at the eyes is not a bad solution to creating perfect eye highlights in this engine either, actually. Set opacity of all of these surfaces to 0% and dial reflection up and down until you get the look you want in your test renders. Make sure reflection is set raytraced in the UberSurface shader (I would also set occlusion to Override and 128 samples because it speeds up rendering transparencies in 3Delight).

• jdavison67jdavison67 Posts: 587
    edited December 1969

Thanks!

I will give it a shot.

Seems pretty involved...

JD

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

In Iray, put the thin water shader on the cornea and water/tear/eyesurface materials. Change the cornea's refraction to 1.38. Then aim a weak spotlight directly at the character's eyes to create that pretty, perfect reflection effect. Always have a full HDR or a 360 degree environment for reflection.

In 3Delight, use UberSurface with refractions of 1.44 (all transparent eye bits) and 1.38 (cornea only). It's also good to make sure you have a full reflective sphere, skydome or environment for the eyes to reflect in this engine. A weak spotlight aimed at the eyes is not a bad solution to creating perfect eye highlights in this engine either, actually. Set opacity of all of these surfaces to 0% and dial reflection up and down until you get the look you want in your test renders. Make sure reflection is set raytraced in the UberSurface shader (I would also set occlusion to Override and 128 samples because it speeds up rendering transparencies in 3Delight).

And in any render engine adding the Cornea Bulge helps a lot, too.

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited December 1969

Thanks!

I will give it a shot.

Seems pretty involved...

JD

As mentioned, the cornea bulge (one of the actor parameters) helps.

The rest... For accuracy, then precise use of shaders, as SickleYield says, is good.

Otherwise, just think of increasing reflections across the entire surface of the eye. You can do it all uniformly if you like. Your objective is to make the eye surface catch light as if there's a sheen of liquid on it. The precise method is more a matter of taste.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Yes, definitely that cornea bulge morph!