Genesis 3 will not load. :(

I'm getting a problem loading Genesis 3 into DAZ Studio 4.8.

When I try to load Genesis 3 it gives the error:

Some assets needed to load the file are missing. The content may not work as expected.  The following files could not be found:

/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/PHMMouthRealismHD.dsf
/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Genesis3Female.dsf
/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 3/Female/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Base/PBMNavel.dsf

As far as I can tell, the files *are* there and the paths are correct.

Originally, I had done a manual installation of DAZ Studio (upgrade from version 4.7) but I've since uninstalled both Studio and the Starter Essentials package and re-installed through DIM. Unfortunately, it still gives the same error. :(

Has anyone else seen this? If so, did you manage to discover what the issue was?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,021
    edited December 1969

And the Data folder with those files is in the root, not a sub-folder, of one of your DAZ Studio content directories? Presumably My DAZ 3d Library if you used DIM and hadn't changed the defaults.

• edited December 1969

And the Data folder with those files is in the root, not a sub-folder, of one of your DAZ Studio content directories? Presumably My DAZ 3d Library if you used DIM and hadn't changed the defaults.

Yep, the file location is:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 3\Female

... to be precise.

Having got a bit confused about exactly where stuff needed to be installed, I left everything at defaults. :-/

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

In DAZ Studio, can you go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats", and post a screenshot?

• cruffincruffin Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

did you load the g3 essentials yet?

• edited June 2015

In DAZ Studio, can you go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats", and post a screenshot?

Should the "Public" path that the stuff is installed to be there too? I assumed that as I could see the content in the Content Library that Studio knew where to look.

Content_Directory.jpg
    480 x 464 - 117K
    Post edited by chaines_42533897f6 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, you need the public path added under BOTH "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats". The Smart Content, Categories, and Products views are all database driven, so they will still show up even if the paths are not listed.

• edited December 1969

cruffin said:
    did you load the g3 essentials yet?

I installed them. Did I need to do something else too?

I can see the thumbnails etc. for the Starter Essentials items so Studio at least seems to recognise that the file has been installed.

• edited December 1969

Yes, you need the public path added under BOTH "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats". The Smart Content, Categories, and Products views are all database driven, so they will still show up even if the paths are not listed.

YAY!

I have a Genesis 3!

Thank you so much for leading an old-time user kicking and screaming into the new technological playground. :) :)

Thank you also, Richard and Cruffin. :)

• cruffincruffin Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

cool, glad you got it working. I had blocky g3 at first, till i realized that I needed to install the g3 essentials also.

• hilguhilgu Posts: 37

So ... I have the same problem, but perhaps mine is that I have NOT yet loaded "g3 essentials" yet  (since I actually cannot find the missing files).  How does one load "g3 essentials", where does one find it?

... and before that question comes: yes, I am using DAZ 4.8 .  It should have come with that update, right?  What, if it didn't?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    hilgu said:

... and before that question comes: yes, I am using DAZ 4.8 .  It should have come with that update, right?  What, if it didn't?

No...due to the size of it, 500+ MB, it is a separate download.  If you are using the DIM it should show up...if the filters are correctly set (gear icon, upper right corner > Downloads).  Studio version should be 4.5+ and you should select the software you use (Studio, Poser, etc).

... so, one can manually download DAZ 4.8, per http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/13176/, apparently (or also try via DIM, obviously).  It says there that it is a bundle, and 277 MB in the Win-64 version.  It says that it comes bundled with Genesis 3 Starter Essentials, which are also here, http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/21630/ . But they are listed at 501 MB, that's much more!  And the "DAZ 4.8 bundle" is supposed to come with another bunch of stuff also.  What is going on?  And what, exactly, am I supposed to install, now that Victoria 7 is not loading? My current DAZ version is 4.8.055, the current one seems to be 4.8.059 ... that can't be the difference, can it? 

.. ok, more progress on this saga (which may be useful to others going through the same pain).  I went to the DAZ website, where it says one can download the "DAZ 4.8" bundle, and asked DIM to install.  It gave me an update for DAZ (along with other updates for other unrelated products).  So ... because my Internet connection is very slow, it took a while, but eventually, I managed to download and install that new version.  And that is NOT the solution!  Unfortunately.  No Genesis 3 Starter Essentials.  No functioning Victoria 7.  Sigh.  Am I really the only one with these troubles?  I am doing everything by the book, and it is not working.  Ok, trying to manually download the Genesis 3 Starter Essentials and manually installing them next ... but I cannot believe it has to be so complicated.  And who knows what else I am missing of that "bundle". 

Alright, success!  I downloaded Genesis 3 Starter Essentials from http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/21630/  (and I suppose one could also use the DIM installer for it, but it kept breaking down, so this seemed to be the better option).  So, that stores a 501 MB .zip file on your machine.  You can open it, there is a "Content" subdirectory.  Take all the folders inside that and copy it to "My Library" (which should have some similar-looking subdirectories inside).  It copied about 2000 files, and then asked me whether I want to overwrite a bunch of existing ones.  Hmmh, what to choose?  I figures, hopefully this is the latest version so I said yes, and crossed my fingers.  In any case, now I can load Victoria 7 just fine from Smart Content --> Figures --> People --> Female (which also seems quite intricate, but that's another topic...).  So, if you have similar troubles, perhaps try this.  No guarantees, of course. Good luck!

Alright, success!  I downloaded Genesis 3 Starter Essentials from http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/21630/  (and I suppose one could also use the DIM installer for it, but it kept breaking down, so this seemed to be the better option).  So, that stores a 501 MB .zip file on your machine.  You can open it, there is a "Content" subdirectory.  Take all the folders inside that and copy it to "My Library" (which should have some similar-looking subdirectories inside).  It copied about 2000 files, and then asked me whether I want to overwrite a bunch of existing ones.  Hmmh, what to choose?  I figures, hopefully this is the latest version so I said yes, and crossed my fingers.  In any case, now I can load Victoria 7 just fine from Smart Content --> Figures --> People --> Female (which also seems quite intricate, but that's another topic...).  So, if you have similar troubles, perhaps try this.  No guarantees, of course. Good luck!

... and a little addendum.  I also downloaded the other stuff that came with the "bundle", like DS4_3DBridge and DS4_GoZ.  I ran these programs, upon which I got the error message "The installation path for DAZ Studio could not be found.  "GoZ DS4 (64bit)" cannot be installed.  Setup will now quit."  Oh well.  Can't solve all problems in one night.  And who says that customers should expect this software to be functional, right?  That would be so amazing.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

hilgu,

Once you installed the DAZ 4.8 bundle, did you do a search for essentials in DIM?

If you did not see the essentials package after inputting it in the search field in DIM, did you see the G3 essentials on this page?  http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/21630/

If you did, did you then press download and install on the Genesis 3 Starter Essentials which should have evoked the DIM installer?

What do you mean, "search for essentials in DIM", what am I supposed to do, exactly?  And, yes, I eventually found that http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/21630/ page ... after finding it, clicking through the various links on installing DAZ 4.8: it is listed below as part of the "bundle".  But the "bundle" is not installed by DIM, apparently.  So, I went to that page, and downloaded manually, as I just described, though I suppose that one could also install via DIM from there.  I just described all that!  I know you are trying to be helpful, but ...

... oh, while there is feedback, perhaps one can also clarify, why the only "Poses" for Vic 7 in the "Smart Content" pane are those for "Rocky Flats".  Not particularly useful (and I know I have poses installed).  Restarting DAZ doesn't help.  Let me try something else.  Is this intended to be particularly easy?

So, to get the poses, I right-clicked on "Smart Content", which offers the option to do "Content Database Management".  I clicked on "Process Metadata Queue and Re-Import Metadata" and, after watching it crunch for a while, now the poses are there.  I hope this is all totally obvious to other novice users out there, it wasn't to me.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,155
    hilgu said:

... and a little addendum.  I also downloaded the other stuff that came with the "bundle", like DS4_3DBridge and DS4_GoZ.  I ran these programs, upon which I got the error message "The installation path for DAZ Studio could not be found.  "GoZ DS4 (64bit)" cannot be installed.  Setup will now quit."  Oh well.  Can't solve all problems in one night.  And who says that customers should expect this software to be functional, right?  That would be so amazing.

GoZ is used as a "bridge" to send stuff from DAZ Studio to ZBrush - if you don't have ZBrush (a modelling program) installed then DIM will be unable to install the bridge. This isn't a problem.

3DBridge is the same thing for Photoshop - again, if you don't have Adobe Photoshop installed on your PC then the 3DBridge won't install, but again you won't need it.