robo geisha in Iray?

IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I have been trying to get http://www.daz3d.com/robo-geisha-for-hitomi to work in Iray.
I'm not worried about the glow, as much as I'm trying to get the robo lines, like in this image: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/62288/
They are very clear and sharp, while in the Iray you can barely see them at all.
I tried increasing the Render Sub Divisions in the mesh, but that didn't really do anything at all.
It may be a tall order, I know MAB and WillDupre did some crazy mat work on robo geisha.
But if anybody else has this product and got it working, I would be really interested in how.

Thanks for your time and thoughts. :)

hitomiiray.jpg
544 x 576 - 119K

Comments

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:
    I have been trying to get http://www.daz3d.com/robo-geisha-for-hitomi to work in Iray.
    I'm not worried about the glow, as much as I'm trying to get the robo lines, like in this image: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/62288/
    They are very clear and sharp, while in the Iray you can barely see them at all.
    I tried increasing the Render Sub Divisions in the mesh, but that didn't really do anything at all.
    It may be a tall order, I know MAB and WillDupre did some crazy mat work on robo geisha.
    But if anybody else has this product and got it working, I would be really interested in how.

Thanks for your time and thoughts. :)

I own this one. I will play with it and see what I get. :)

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

The seams are done with Displacement, which is the problem.

In 3Delight, any object with displacement is automatically subdivided on a massive scale, so the displacement looks good no matter how dense or sparse the object mesh actually is.

In Iray, subdividing is explicitly set to a value — you can change this value, but if part of the object mesh isn't as dense as you need for the displacement to work, the only thing you can do is bump the value up a bit more... until D|S crashes, which happened to me a couple of times when I tried it. Not even the usual SubD value for HD morphs (3 or 4, I think) is enough for something as finely detailed as those seam displacements.

edited July 2015

I was able to get it to work by applying the Iray Uber Shader base to the figure, and I converted the Displacement map to a Normal Map. Remove the Displacement map then use the Normal map instead, and you should get this with no SubD changes at all:

Keep in mind, I have only converted the face so you can see the difference. :)

HitomiRoboGeisha.png
    1300 x 1000 - 692K
    Post edited by Digital Lite Design on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,908
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I've found some stuff really needs a HIGH render subd. I tried to get some furry effects and needed 6...

edited July 2015

P.S. I used Shader Map to quickly convert the map. It is fast, easy and inexpensive. It also allows for a demo before you buy.

Iray plays MUCH better with Normal Maps, so it is a good idea to add a tool to your workflow that will allow you to create normal maps when you can. :) You will not have to set the render SubD so high for things like this, thus rendering faster and with more stability.

Post edited by Digital Lite Design on
  • IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

This looks just great!
    Thanks so much for diving in there.
    Well, I downloaded the demo to give it a try. But you can't save/try the maps even with the word "demo" printed all over them. :/ Rather annoying.
    So I can't try it out yet.

edited December 1969

OK ... quick question ... which channel did you load the new normal map into ... it seems the "bump" doesn't have the actual robot seams.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

With the surface selected, lookat the Surfaces tab. An Iray material has the Normal channel just below the Bump channel. If you haven't converted to Iray yet, the default DAZ shader has the Normal below Bump, with the Displacement dials in between them. Other 3Delight non-default shaders will have the parameter dials in different places.

edited December 1969

OK, I found the seams displacement and turned it into a normal map.
    I applied the new normal map where the displacement map was.
    Definite improvement! But mine still isn't as crisp as Kat's.
    Hmm, I wonder if I have to take out some of the other maps as well ... ... ...