Solutions to have clothes realistically look scattered on the floor (crumpled, piled etc.)?

Solutions to have clothes realistically scattered on the floor (crumpled, piled etc.)?

Is there a script, trick or shop product to select a clothing item and have it laid out on the floor like somebody threw it down, like your average messy bedroom & such? I realize the 'physics' (/scripting) of such a seemingly simple shape and positioning is probably quite complicated but I can't imagine I am the first person  looking for that extra touch of realism in scene staging. I must admit I have not deeply explored the available "Adjustment Morphs" of individual clothing items, I kind of assume they would not really suit my purpose. In the few experiments that I did with  "Adjustment Morphs" of say, a summer dress, all encountered the problem that any clothing item has initially the shape of a(n invisble) person wearing them, which makes sense but flattening these items so they look like being laid out on the floor is difficult/impossible. Also, trying to do this with per item Adjustment Morphs is very time consuming, I am hoping there is a simpler solution. 

Some content developers do provide some intermediate/alternative shape of their clothing, like a folded version, the *** absolutely delightful *** "dForce Ms. Thea Outfit and Wardrobe" [link] by Lali Kamala comes to mind with a wardrobe rack version, but I am looking for that messy, crumpled version you would find on the beach, a bedroom etc.

Thx y'all!

Comments

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,235
    edited September 2022

You can do this with Dforce but its hard to get drape you want, and you have to remember to freeze your simulated clothing.

Some clothings come with crumpled and undress morphs

Anyway, this is incredibly trivial with Marvelous Designer, and it will allow you to get exact drape you want, with as much detail as you want (since you can easily change the density of the meshes).  You can get a bunch of free Marvelous Designer garments on a certain 'station' website and download the Marvelous Designer free trial, and then just try it out.

After simulating, just import your marvelous designer sims as .objs into Daz. Doing all of this would probably be faster than actually trying to use Dforce to do it, tbh.  But you cant go by me.

You can also import a simplified version of your scene as an 'Avatar' into marvelous designer to easily drape a bunch of clothes over the furniture.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • As lilweep noted, you can use dForce on clothing, but the results differ greatly. Some outfits work great, and others don't work at all. For example, some dForce clothing's weight maps "lock" certain parts of the outfit so you end up with it hanging in the air rather than falling to the ground.

For a quick solution, there are a few products in the Daz store that provide pre-made (or posable) "mess", either with dForce or just designed to be in a pile on the floor.

Two that I use are:

https://www.daz3d.com/messy-laundry-mega-set

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-laundry

• When I started to use Daz Studio, I found nice freebies by Beat578, Mainly clothes for G2F but the guy made nice "drop" morphs for the clothes, for exemple: https://sharecg.com/v/83165/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/G2_Pijama

Now I use dForce and Blender to make my messy laundry...

• FedermannFedermann Posts: 111
    edited September 2022

lilweep, Chezjuan, rosseliani thanks for your feedback!  Some great tips there. I now know that 'Hang, Drop and Fold Morphs' are a thing that some developers have included in their products and kudos to them.  As a noob I never heard of 'Marvelous Designer' but that product sure looks quite attractive, would love to create content soon but I have to come to terms that I would have to budget the yearly subs of zbrush, Marvelous Designer and Adobe suite  etc. etc. the aggregate sum of which would be quite substantial given my current financial situation. For now the only programs I have is Adobe CS3, DS, Blender, Bryce and Hexagon, just started learning Hexagon and Blender, never got anywhere with Bryce.

1 Could a DS program like  ManFriday's "Mesh Grabber" [link] be a 'good enough' solution for my clothes on the floor problem?

2 (noob alert) Would it be possible to dforce fit clothes around some sort of flattened figure (shapelier than just a plane let's say, more like an emaciated skeletor) and then use the Adjustment morphs to create some shapes and then hide the flattened figure?  

Post edited by Federmann on
  • ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 505
    edited September 2022

Federmann said:

lilweep, Chezjuan, rosseliani thanks for your feedback!  Some great tips there. I now know that 'Hang, Drop and Fold Morphs' are a thing that some developers have included in their products and kudos to them.  As a noob I never heard of 'Marvelous Designer' but that product sure looks quite attractive, would love to create content soon but I have to come to terms that I would have to budget the yearly subs of zbrush, Marvelous Designer and Adobe suite  etc. etc. the aggregate sum of which would be quite substantial given my current financial situation. For now the only programs I have is Adobe CS3, DS, Blender, Bryce and Hexagon, just started learning Hexagon and Blender, never got anywhere with Bryce.

1 Could a DS program like  ManFriday's "Mesh Grabber" [link] be a 'good enough' solution for my clothes on the floor problem?

2 (noob alert) Would it be possible to dforce fit clothes around some sort of flattened figure (shapelier than just a plane let's say, more like an emaciated skeletor) and then use the Adjustment morphs to create some shapes and then hide the flattened figure?  

IMO Mesh Grabber would be difficult - I find it is best for more precision changes. Perhaps adding a D-Former as that can work over a larger area.

If you're going to use dForce, the the best thing to do is just give it a try on the clothing item. I have found that about half of the clothes I try (either already dForce or with a dForce Modifier: Dynamic Surface added work fine. I could make more work if I knew how to use weight mapping and knew more about dForce settings since some have parts that don't simulate.

For the image below, I:

1. Loaded the colthing item (the wrapped blouse from the Formal MEGA Wardrobe). It is not dForce
    2. Added a dForce Modifier: Dynamic Surface
    3. Rotated the blouse to be parallel to the ground and turned. I did this using it's hip bone since then it rotates in place.
    4. Positioned it above where I wanted it to drape and ran the simulation.

I've also loaded a floor or ground from a set, and dropped the clothing on it for a flat (or piled) look.

You could then save the item as a prop or a morph asset or similar to re-use it, though for clothing where this works I usually just simulate it in the scene.

One tool I highly recomed for dForce is dForce Companion 2.0. A great feature is the ability to only simulate the item that you want, rather than everything at once.

ETA: The blanket on the back of the couch is part of the prop.

Shirt Drape.png
    1920 x 1920 - 4M
    Post edited by Chezjuan on
  • Chezjuan said:

Federmann said:

IMO Mesh Grabber would be difficult - I find it is best for more precision changes. Perhaps adding a D-Former as that can work over a larger area.

If you're going to use dForce, the the best thing to do is just give it a try on the clothing item. I have found that about half of the clothes I try (either already dForce or with a dForce Modifier: Dynamic Surface added work fine. I could make more work if I knew how to use weight mapping and knew more about dForce settings since some have parts that don't simulate.

For the image below, I:

1. Loaded the colthing item (the wrapped blouse from the Formal MEGA Wardrobe). It is not dForce
    2. Added a dForce Modifier: Dynamic Surface
    3. Rotated the blouse to be parallel to the ground and turned. I did this using it's hip bone since then it rotates in place.
    4. Positioned it above where I wanted it to drape and ran the simulation.

I've also loaded a floor or ground from a set, and dropped the clothing on it for a flat (or piled) look.

You could then save the item as a prop or a morph asset or similar to re-use it, though for clothing where this works I usually just simulate it in the scene.

One tool I highly recomed for dForce is dForce Companion 2.0. A great feature is the ability to only simulate the item that you want, rather than everything at once.

ETA: The blanket on the back of the couch is part of the prop.

Wow that looks great! I'll try to follow the steps you suggest and will certainly get the dForce Companion 2.0 tool asap, at some point I'll get the mesh grabber bundle too since it is on my shortlist of 'need to haves' (trying to stem my random purchases of "nice to haves").

• Thanks!

I use Mesh Grabber a lot. It is especially great when I am kitbashing and get poke through that adjustment morphs can't fix (or when the adjustment makes the item look wrong). Well worth it.

It seems to go on sale at 1/2 price quite often, and at that price point I'd say it's a steal for all the use I get out of it.