New Shaders I'm working on

RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
edited July 2015 in The Commons

Hi,

After a brief discussion about shaders in another thread I decided to take a crack at making some hair shaders... I've gotten pretty far but needing a little bit of advice to get this smoothed out a bit more....

I'm not using the Metallicity/Roughness, I'm using the Specular/Glossiness from the drop down setup options in the Surfaces tab.  Just trying to figure out what elements will smooth the light over the surface a bit more. 

If anyone knows or has ideas let me know, thanks!

Richard

New-Shaders-Brown.jpg
979 x 914 - 311K
Post edited by RAMWolff on

Comments

• Does this shader generate the strands too? If so, a layered approach to keep the strands less uniform would look amazing!  I really like how your reflections look.

I'd think that a quick SSS is a good way to spread the light around a little more.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

This forum is acting weird.  I can't even see my image right now!  lol  The shader is just a shader so I guess strand based hair would work with this if it's UV mapped, if not probably would look horrible. 

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Not knowing how you have it set up I would suggest adjusting the glossy specuular setting or the top coat glossiness.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091

From a usability standpoint, I'm always thankful when people make hair shaders as blonde rather than brunette, because you can use that shader for all hair colors (including brown) with some tweeks, versus stuck to brown and black with a brunette base.

As for the lighting, you could try tweaking the refraction a little bit, I seem to remember having some interesting effects with it on hair in the past.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

...I often use blonde as a basis for a "ginger" red  when one isn't available in the materials.

• DarkSpartanDarkSpartan Posts: 1,096

On the subject of shaders... Have you seen a decent metal shader for 3Delight, Richard? I need a template to use so I can make the shaders for a pair of glasses.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited July 2015

Kadix (V3Digitimes) has a metal shader set, tho I don't have that to try.

http://www.daz3d.com/advanced-metal-shaders

Also, other shader sets have metal in them, like the AElflaed's Fancy (that was a pendent)

http://www.daz3d.com/aelflaed-s-fancy-shaders-for-ds-and-poser

DG shaders, used on Jaffa stuff.

http://www.daz3d.com/dg-shader-essentials

I have used that on a fun one, the jaffa stafs (and other stuff).

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/42175/

Also, I have found, with a good balance of gloss, reflection, and diffuse color, I can do allot with just the DazDefaultShader. (The light saber in this one)

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/37539

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on

Hi,

Sorry, not getting notices for this thread.  New forum... same issues but not as bad.  I might not have visited or something and it got turned off (which is an action I don't agree with but think I read that in the New Forum thread). 

For my own metal shaders for 3Delight it's just a matter of playing around with what works for you.  I spent about 3 days of back and forths before I was happy with my results but the iRay side is even more compicated because there are allot more variables involved with the process.  I have the base swatches that I made years ago that I still like.  So those are being used for the hair shaders.  I can tell you, my home grown metal shaders for 3Delight do not make use of SSS or anything like that.  They are very very basic.  So probably have some element to them that doesn't look quite right or not realistic enough.  Most of the time when I use metal shaders they are used for small obects like belt buckles and ear rings.  So not something I put allot of effort into.  Hair shaders on the other hand.. I spend even more time on because hair is...........well hair and it's a big part of what your looking at, esp in a close up.  So want the shaders to look really good.  Of course different lighting and lights are going to make a difference too when using shaders.  1 light VS 8 or more lights.. your going to have things look really different. 

Right now I'm working on some makeup options for Bruna, which is Bruno's female counterpart for Dawn/Dusk from Hivewire so been busy with that and had to put the hair shader aside.  I'll look at the Top Coat options Khory.  Not played around with that too much yet....

Thanks laugh

Richard

• RAMWolff said:
    Sorry, not getting notices for this thread.  New forum... same issues but not as bad.  I might not have visited or something and it got turned off (which is an action I don't agree with but think I read that in the New Forum thread).

It doesn't get turned off, but no new notification will be sent until after you visit. Then you will get a notification for the enxt post, and no more until you again visit the thread.

I still dont' agree with that setting being turned on.  The coders always do that stuff ... never in all my days on line have I had a forum set up like this.. until DAZ! 

• It wasn't turned on initially - and people complained about getting an email for every post.

Well yea, no one wants that but having notifications turned off if you don't visit is a bit much though, esp if they are current threads your subscribed to....

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    RAMWolff said:

Well yea, no one wants that but having notifications turned off if you don't visit is a bit much though, esp if they are current threads your subscribed to....

I'm not sure I understand -- you get a notification when there's a new post, so you've been notified -- you don't want to keep getting them for every post.

• Hay, silly thought on Posts. One email to let you know there is a post there when it happens. Then after that, IF you don't go to look at the post, you get a daily digest of sorts. Nah, it would be a nightmare to code that into the servers, lol.

Hair. One odd one I've noticed with some styles. Blond is OK, brunet is good, and black lacks life (or looks like an old gray). Is that akin to what others were saying about not having a real blond, in that not having a real black mat, just dose not give good results?

Black hair actually, if you look at it has dark reds, some blue tones and of course variations of black.  That's where that old term comes from "Her hair was so black it was blue black"  You can sort of fake that with lights but what if another end user doesn't have the ability to set up lights to get that effect?  Blonds are also, allot of the time very flat looking to me in 3D.  Blonds have multi hued strands as well.  Some brown strands often are in the mix and they reflect off of the other hairs, creating more light variations. 

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029

Some example of how the new, default 3delight hair shader in Maya.

https://3delight.atlassian.net/wiki/display/3DFM/3Delight+Hair

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391

Not quite as easy as you thought, RAMWolff?  I like where you are going with it, though.  The sample you showed in the beginning is pretty rough, no?  Not much color variation in there, which I know you insist on, being a hairdresser and all.  I would concentrate a bit on toning down the glossiness.  It's looking a bit plastic at the moment, but I am sure you will come up with something great :)  Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Slosh

edited July 2015

Oh, I'm quite happy with the amount variated color.  The strands provide that, my strands are very much multi strands Slosh!  I was asking simply how to make the gloss over the entire thing a bit more smooth and not so grainy looking, that's all!  wink

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • If it is anything like reflections in 3delight. insane Shading rate (like less then 0.1) or possible light samples.

Also there is a 'Samples' setting in some surface shaders (I'm not completely sure what that dose other then give figures 'Leopard skin', lol).

As for the light bouncing around in the hair (between strands), yea, agreed, regardless of hair color. Tho can it be done without excrusiating "Face plant time" when setting up a scene, lol.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited August 2015

...it took a Pixar development team about three years to get the hair for the character Merida to look natural and move with a sense of realism..

...and they were using Renderman which is a biased rather than real physics render engine.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited August 2015
    kyoto kid said:

...it took a Pixar development team about three years to get the hair for the character Merida to look natural and move with a sense of realism..

...and they were using Renderman which is a biased rather than real physics render engine.

Biased/unbiased and physically based/plausible shaing are two different concepts. Contrary to what people may think, physically based doesn't mean you're using physics (on surfaces). Much of the actual shading are still done via BRDF and BSDF like Oren Nayar (for diffuse), Ashikmin Shirley and GGX/GTR (for specular), which by themselves are not physically plausible and accurate.

Post edited by wowie on