iRay/CUDA problem with specific content

I'm running Mac OS X, and I have an ATI 7980 for display, and an NVidia GTX 780 for CUDA/iRay. This works fine most of the time. But I've found that loading certain content into the scene causes CUDA to fail and the device is not accessible until I restart DS. I can never get it to render that content - specifically, the Adrienne Cyborg MAT from "LYFW Adrienne HD for Victoria 6", sku 21698. I thought it might be memory, but I can load some huge scenes - like, large Stonemason sets with multiple characters - and render away; but if I apply that MAT to one of the characters, bang, I'm back to CPU rendering with a failure in the log:

Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 780): Scene processed in 42.116s

Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 780): Allocated 9 MB for frame buffer

WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(261): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 780): unspecified launch failure (while launching CUDA renderer)

WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(261): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.4   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 780): Failed to launch renderer

WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(261): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 780): Device failed while rendering

WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(261): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 780): unspecified launch failure (while initializing memory buffer)

WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(261): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend error: All workers failed: aborting render

WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(261): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 780): unspecified launch failure (while de-allocating memory)

WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(261): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 780): unspecified launch failure (while de-allocating memory)

WARNING: /src/pluginsource/DzIrayRender/dzneuraymgr.cpp(261): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.5   IRAY   rend warn : All available GPUs failed.

Any thoughts? 

Comments

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

If the MAT isn't already Iray-ready, you should be sure to manually convert it to an Iray shader. You didn't mention you did that, so I thought I'd suggest it.

Though there is just-in-time conversion of materials, I wouldn't trust it blindly. If you haven't already, convert everything in that MAT to Iray, make adjustments fort appearance as needed, and try again.

• Tobor said:

If the MAT isn't already Iray-ready, you should be sure to manually convert it to an Iray shader. You didn't mention you did that, so I thought I'd suggest it.

Though there is just-in-time conversion of materials, I wouldn't trust it blindly. If you haven't already, convert everything in that MAT to Iray, make adjustments fort appearance as needed, and try again.

I did apply the Uber shader to all surfaces on the model, just as I have the other figures I've tested with. I've not experimented with changing settings because the result has been quite satisfactory in appearance - when I wait for it to render with CPU! :D Did you have another change in mind, or does that cover your suggestion?

Since it happens with the MAT and not the geometry, there must be something in the materials setting. As a test, you could apply a brand new Iray shader to all of the surfaces, not just the generic Uber shader. That one creates the material definitions while trying to keep the intent of the original shader. You should try completely replacing all of the material definitions.

Though I haven't encountered it myself, I've seen some posts here and there where Iray accepted a scene for CPU render, but forced the GPU to drop out.

Lastly, when rendering without the problem MAT, what does GPU-X (or similar utility) say about the memory requirements for the scene?

• oomuoomu Posts: 175

I have a very similar problem, same error, same random comportment ; with a mac pro (2009), 18Go ram and nvidia GTX Titan X (12Go vram) with Os X 10.10.4, latest cuda (7.0.52) and nvidia driver 346.01.03f01 and latest DAZ studio.  (a mac pro with the nvidia driver can use any PC nvidia card if it can alimentate it)

I tried previous cuda (6.x), same thing :

it's NOT a problem of memory or video memory. it's NOT a problem of just using iray shader or uber or daz or whatever shader.

Sometimes just adding an object (using classic daz shader) is enough to crash iray on the gpu. Sometimes it's converting one surface to iray shader and then no more gpu rendering, with the same message :

"IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX TITAN X): an illegal instruction was encountered (while de-allocating memory)"

or some variant.

-

The same computer, same hardware, same scenes, same contents, same version of DAZ, on Windows 8.1, it works without fuss. No error.

I forgot if I got the problems before or after updating to 10.10.4 or a minor version of DAZ 4.8.

it's a real concern, Os X has advantages and some softwares I prefer to use than rebooting in windows anytime I want to work with daz.

Thanks.

• I've been dreading the idea of bootcamping my Mac Pro just for this sort of work. Until iRay, I've been using a luxrender render farm of 48 cores, but my 12 core Mac Pro + GTX 780 is faster. Lots faster. 

Strangely enough, when I watch the log, it always says: 

Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): &nbsp; 1.4 &nbsp; IRAY &nbsp; rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 780): Scene processed in 31.924s<br /> Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): &nbsp; 1.4 &nbsp; IRAY &nbsp; rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 780): Allocated 17 MB for frame buffer<br /> Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): &nbsp; 1.4 &nbsp; IRAY &nbsp; rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 780): Allocated 804MB of work space (1024k active samples)

Every time, 804MB. iStatMenu shows almost no memory usage in the GPU while the GPU processor is pegged. Doesn&#39;t matter how much crap I throw in the scene, either.&nbsp;

Seeing how CPU renders work, it looks to be some compatibility issues between something in the scene (in your case a materials definition) and the GeForce driver. I assume you're using the latest driver. 

If it is a driver issue, then you might report it to nVidia, in the hopes there is a resolution in a future update. Also, sometimes they make betas of their latest drivers available for public download.